Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 02-12-2014, 11:00 AM   #1
naraht

Default Sharing your character sheet contents (in game)

I would imagine if you had two players who played Seraphim of Revelations that they would show each other their character sheets because in game the Seraphim if they had 5 minutes in a safe place would share all of their Capabilities (attunements/songs/equipment/etc) (and probably Discord/Dissonance as well).

OTOH, if you had two players who played respectively an Impudite of Factions and a Shedite of Secrets, that the players would make sure that they didn't share character sheets since there is no way that the Demons would want the other to know their full capabilities. (In fact, the Impudite of Factions may not actually know what the Shedite of Secrets band attunement does)

So how do GMs/Players generally handle this? All Angels share with Angels and Demons would only share some/all if specifically told by their DP to work together? (or if they are instructed to work together with one in charge, it may be asymmetrical)
naraht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:05 PM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Sharing your character sheet contents (in game)

I've only played angels games. In all of those, your choir and superior was a standard part of introducing yourself to other angels, and that gives a fair idea of what you're about. We didn't info-dump at each other, but when we had a trick that that looked useful for the circumstances, we'd volunteer the information. And IN is simple enough that if you play a few sessions with other characters and pay attention, you can easily learn what they do.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:10 AM   #3
Azel

In general, no. Besides, where'd they get the time to show every song, attunement, skill, et al. they have? Aren't they out working for their Superior and stuff?
;)

I like to keep the IC/OOC divide strong. If you cannot justify it in IC, why should letting PCs look at each other's sheets OOC be feasible, let alone necessary, or even prudent?
Azel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:38 PM   #4
naraht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azel View Post
In general, no. Besides, where'd they get the time to show every song, attunement, skill, et al. they have? Aren't they out working for their Superior and stuff?
;)

I like to keep the IC/OOC divide strong. If you cannot justify it in IC, why should letting PCs look at each other's sheets OOC be feasible, let alone necessary, or even prudent?
This is less about knowing that the other Angel has Running/6, but more like knowing that the Malakite of War you are fighting alongside also has Malakite of Creation so that he isn't screwed if he loses has battleaxe or has Malakite of Stone...).
naraht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:50 PM   #5
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azel View Post
;)
I can imagine that Angels of Archives (if AA Beth's Word is in your game <g> - replace with Angels of Destiny otherwise) could be tasked with getting "one of each," and become part of the Archives as a result. But I can't see that such angels would be allowed out to adventure...
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:24 PM   #6
Azel

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
This is less about knowing that the other Angel has Running/6, but more like knowing that the Malakite of War you are fighting alongside also has Malakite of Creation so that he isn't screwed if he loses has battleaxe or has Malakite of Stone...).
OK, but again I'd prefer an in-character reason. Otherwise showing such information would be a waste of essence and time. And telling about such information outside of relevant situations might be seen as odd (i.e. distasteful pride, imprudent to Superior's discretion, unnecessary until the situation warrants it, etc.).

From the in-character perspective I just cannot see the point of an out-of-the-moment materiel readout of one's talents to one's -- often temporary -- allies. It just reads as crass and indiscreet. Like second guessing your Superior's judgment about your need-to-know basis while flashing cool new toys.

But hey, it's your campaign and players.
Azel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tips