Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-06-2014, 10:02 PM   #21
hal

Default Re: Wait Maneuver and Multiple Scenarios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Sandman View Post
It's not explicitly stated anywhere in the rules, but having faster reactions is a good argument for having the option to delay until your opponent acts then respond.

I could see where it might be annoying if a significant percentage of the players at the table started doing it, or if two characters got into an "After you, my dear Alphonse" situation. I don't think that would be a common problem though, since most players usually want to act before their opponents, to have a chance to hit before they get hit.

As for 'resetting' back to the faster full Basic Speed on a following turn, I'd allow it. I don't think it's any more abusable than a Wait, which could also potentially result in a character acting twice in a row. The trade off is that you are allowing your enemy to act first, without the possibility of interrupting the enemy's action.

If a player wanted to do that in my game, I'd limit their move accordingly for that turn. If they purposely hesitate, they can't move as far.
The "Wait" option is designed explicitly for the faster reaction individuals to slow down to the slower speeds. What is not being addressed here, is that once your speed is calculated for the initiative list/ladder, your speed does not change - ever. Your character could be initially at speed 6.26, be down to within 2 points of zero hit points remaining (halved movement ect), and still have his/her actions take place at the 6.25 mark. I don't agree with the rules as written in that regard, but dems the rules...

https://www.worldanvil.com/w/scourge-of-shards-schpdx

Go to bottom of page to see lectures 1-11
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:56 PM   #22
Vynticator

I'm with Sandman. The OP doesn't sound like it's in combat time yet.
Vynticator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:52 AM   #23
pfharlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vynticator View Post
I'm with Sandman. The OP doesn't sound like it's in combat time yet.
Nahh, He's just standing there with a weirdly intense look on his face and freaks out anyone observing him when he jumps every time he spots someone walking down the street coming from the south. The man selling fruit from a cart to the north of him considers calling a guard to confront the man before he hurts somebody...

Just kidding, but funny to think about someone applying the intensity of combat time to normal every day situations.
pfharlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:52 AM   #24
Phoenix_Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
Wait until someone comes around the corner, then Move and Attack.
Nitpick: A Wait maneuver can't convert into a Move and Attack maneuver.
Phoenix_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:03 AM   #25
Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfharlock View Post
Nahh, He's just standing there with a weirdly intense look on his face
Yeah and him gripping his bared blade like he could swing it at any moment, doing murder, is somewhat more suspicious to boot.

;-)
Old 01-07-2014, 02:24 AM   #26
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent View Post
I'm not at all familiar with allowing this, but that seems abusable not to mention annoying? 'I'll go at Speed 5 now instead of 6'.

'Hmm. I'll go at Speed 4 instead of 5 now.'

'Nah, I'll go to Speed 3, see what happens.'

And is it verified it 'resets' after the Sequence would restart? So someone 'delays' to Speed 0, then go again at Speed 6 for their next action/turn?
Kromm is greatly against changing initiate order once combat starts [assuming a lull doesn't happen the drop people out of combat time] He wast talking about just like you can use less ST or Less Move that you have you can use less Speed than you have, it just once your in you 1 second turn sequence you turns are always 1 second.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:32 AM   #27
Agent

I'm not currently seeing how 'can use less Basic Speed' applies to the issues he was responding to unless it meant going at a different time in the round, unfortunately. Though I don't necessarily doubt you.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:26 AM   #28
pfharlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent View Post
I'm not currently seeing how 'can use less Basic Speed' applies to the issues he was responding to unless it meant going at a different time in the round, unfortunately. Though I don't necessarily doubt you.
One use of the wait maneuver is to allow people who are faster to have the option of deferring their turn until after someone else has acted. That usage for wait is outlined in the basic set on the page where wait is explained.

The idea I think is, If I'm fast enough to act before you, I'm also fast enough to wait and act after you have acted, but I'm still inside my 1 second window for this turn.

The specific verbage is near the bottom of 366

"Finally, you can use Wait to coordinate actions with slower friends."
pfharlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:56 AM   #29
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfharlock View Post
One use of the wait maneuver is to allow people who are faster to have the option of deferring their turn until after someone else has acted. That usage for wait is outlined in the basic set on the page where wait is explained.

The idea I think is, If I'm fast enough to act before you, I'm also fast enough to wait and act after you have acted, but I'm still inside my 1 second window for this turn.

The specific verbage is near the bottom of 366

"Finally, you can use Wait to coordinate actions with slower friends."
Correct, and when using a Wait to do this, your action will be limited to an Attack, Feint, All-Out Attack, or Ready maneuver.

You also have the option of simply acting at a lower Basic Speed, then you can use whatever maneuver you want when it is your time to act. Although I agree with roguebfl, you cannot choose to go back to your higher basic speed at some later point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix_Dragon View Post
Nitpick: A Wait maneuver can't convert into a Move and Attack maneuver.
Thank you, I stand corrected. I meant to say you could use an All-Out Attack to move towards or away when your turn came.

Last edited by Captain Joy; 01-07-2014 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Added last paragraph.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:14 PM   #30
Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
Thank you, I stand corrected. I meant to say you could use an All-Out Attack to move towards or away when your turn came.
How exactly do you move 'away' with an AoA?

Tags
maneuver, multiple, scenarios, wait