Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 06-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #81
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: [OCC]: Space Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Anything but that! Please! I'd much rather a reaction bonus I could apply to business to help me haggle... Smooth Operator's only works when you're NOT dealing with them.
I'm going to say ... professional negotiators: so other merchants, diplomats, lawyers, ect.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:06 PM   #82
Justin Bedard

1- A rough draft of Comtox
2- Comtox Close-up

https://plus.google.com/photos/10586...P_6jpflqNeTvAE

Last edited by Justin Bedard; 06-05-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Justin Bedard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:11 PM   #83
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I'm going to say ... professional negotiators: so other merchants, diplomats, lawyers, ect.
That's better than the Smooth Operator bonus... I still prefer my take, but life's full of little disappointments.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #84
Justin Bedard

So, I "think" i'm finished the stats of Comtox, Next is the story...
Justin Bedard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #85
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Bedard View Post

Traits
Languages
Aquan? (Native) (0)
english

Quote:
Debt 5 (Loans, Rental Drones) (-5)
debt is not allowed for this campaign.

Quote:
Status 0 (-5)
huh? is this buying off wealth based status?

Quote:
Reputation: The AI genius (Descendants of Terra (1/2); all the time (1)) 2 (5)
how is that possible when humanity hasn't been in contact for 50 years? how would they know you? also, if you were famous at the time of the attack (And you're far too young for that) there's a LOT of baggage that comes with that (you'd be infamous more than famous)

Quote:
Gadgeteer (AI, Drones and Computer Only; -25%) (20)
Althought Gadgeteer is VERY cinematic, I think it fits quite well for the incredible intelligence (or at least explains Comtox's fixation/abilities better). Anyway, The speed of Comtox's gadgeteering is equal to Doc Brown's abilities (he made a refrigerator in several days, out of spare parts found about a barn...), but with only IQ /non-physical based things.
Cinematic. hmmm... I'm leaning against it. If it makes it in what you can invent will be rather restricted.

Quote:
Computer Hacking/TL10-,IQ\VH (4)
This is called "Expert Skill (Computer Security)" and isn't cinematic.

Quote:
{N4}Comtox has a strong influence from science, and believes everything can be explained this way. he hates having to explain / deal with someone who chooses to believe "greater powers" (A god, All-powerful being, spagetthi monster, etc.).
Got it!

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 06-05-2013, 04:46 PM   #86
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

All characters feel free to post in IC.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:51 PM   #87
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
All characters feel free to post in IC.
If we're arriving at Aqua, where are we coming from? I thought we were starting from there...
Old 06-05-2013, 07:05 PM   #88
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
If we're arriving at Aqua, where are we coming from? I thought we were starting from there...
The voyage started from Aqua. The game starts at the first world after Aqua that actually has people on it. You will likely return to Aqua though.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:10 PM   #89
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
The voyage started from Aqua. The game starts at the first world after Aqua that actually has people on it. You will likely return to Aqua though.
Before departing Aqua, I would have analyzed it's economic situation. The kind of information I will be trying to compile upon every new settlement.

The local Current Affairs, evaluating the production base and it's capability for expansion, determining their shortfalls and surpluses in any areas, finding out who the key players are in business (both legitimate and...less than legitimate), and analyze the market making short term predictions (especially the impact of our arrival and cargo if strangers are very rare).

If software is available to assist me on the computers, it would be very helpful... Do I need to make a list of programs to purchase and whatnot and find out what actually exists in the game, or should we just let you (and the captain) worry about that sort of thing?

We should get radio telemetry before getting into useful voice com range. Our shipboard computer can be programmed to sort some useful data... depending on the time frame between radio range and comm range, it could be quite a bit. If they have a network we can access from orbit, we could gather allot of useful data that way...

Do we have a guy in charge of the comms? or should a PC answer the hail?
Old 06-06-2013, 12:03 AM   #90
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Before departing Aqua, I would have analyzed it's economic situation. The kind of information I will be trying to compile upon every new settlement.

The local Current Affairs, evaluating the production base and it's capability for expansion, determining their shortfalls and surpluses in any areas, finding out who the key players are in business (both legitimate and...less than legitimate), and analyze the market making short term predictions (especially the impact of our arrival and cargo if strangers are very rare).
Ok, I can give that kind of a run down on each planet.
Aqua has both a strong industrial base and agricultural base: the native life is mostly edible, some terran plants do well on the land, and the place is mineral rich. This is not sustainable on a large scale, as 98% of the surface is water, but only a half million people are on it, so space isn't a big deal right now. Auqa grows few grains and terran fish are near non-existent. It has good sources of oil (for plastics and chemicals). Business tends to be run on a personal level rather than a corporate level: There are a few dozen names that dominate most industries, and most people work directly for them. Monetary empires are usually left to groomed successors. The black market is mostly about dodging taxes, selling drugs, and fencing stolen goods. Most of that goes through the Zalbo brothers.

Quote:
If software is available to assist me on the computers, it would be very helpful... Do I need to make a list of programs to purchase and whatnot and find out what actually exists in the game, or should we just let you (and the captain) worry about that sort of thing?
software is available, and the equipment is provided.

Quote:
We should get radio telemetry before getting into useful voice com range. Our shipboard computer can be programmed to sort some useful data... depending on the time frame between radio range and comm range, it could be quite a bit. If they have a network we can access from orbit, we could gather allot of useful data that way...
You are assuming analysis of the system is done with radio waves!

Sensors are based on warp technology, so data is reached at FTL speeds. You can see gravity wells and Space-worthy warp fields from about the same distance, 100 light hours away. Comms work at about 90 light hours. The ship
travels at between 100 and 60 c, so that gives you 10 minutes between sight and transmission. Yes, Warp works within the system. Sensors can also tell the difference between a gravity well, a ship, and a "shielded station" (warp fields don't work in the space surrounding that. You can also tell which species is behind the ship or station based on engineering quirks.

So yes, I can give you the system stats... but within a few minutes you'll have communication.

Quote:
Do we have a guy in charge of the comms? or should a PC answer the hail?
PC's. There's only 7 of you on the ship.

Tags
space merchant