Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-15-2007, 12:27 PM   #1
Gudiomen

Default Magical Perks

I've finaly decided to build my advantage-based magical system, I won't be trying to reproduce the spell system because a) that's very complicated and sometimes impossible and b) doesn't fully explore the possibilities of advantage based magic.

One of the things I decided, for flavor, was to include small magical perks to initated and trained mages. These would be very basic effects that they could produce without a thought or effort if there is even the slightest shred of mana. For example

Candle Finger [1]: fire mages can produce a small flame, the equivalent of a candle burning, it's to weak to cause damage, but can provide minimal light and set flame to flammable material if held on the target for long enough. It'll cause a point of burning damage if held unnoposed for an entire second on the same spot.

This is essentially the perk of having a magical and invisible lighter with you, so you can allways light torches, candles, slowly burn ropes, provide light in pitch black darnkess, etc...

I'd like to make a bunch of these for different colleges (wich will be more or less the same colleges from Magic). They don't have to come from perks, but their value must be 1 point. Such as a single level of temperature tolerance, or limited fire DR. That's 3 examples for Fire, but I'd like lots more ideas, for different colleges, and we have lots of creative people here. Help me out?

Last edited by Gudiomen; 11-15-2007 at 12:35 PM.
Gudiomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:53 PM   #2
NorthSaber

Default Re: Magical Perks

I guess Umbrella would count as a magical perk, as well as some wind-related ability that could only be used for sweeping things at a close distance - these are both basically accessory perks.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:02 PM   #3
Ze'Manel Cunha

Floating light - hand reach, equivalent to a handheld torch or small flashlight.

Light TK - line of sight, enough to flip a page, or lift a feather or small pebble, ~1 oz (~30g).

Chill wine - touch, enough to chill a glass of white wine, frost a window, or touch someone with a startling cold hand.

Etch stone - touch, able to slowly scratch stone as if it was hard but wet clay.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:14 PM   #4
Gudiomen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSaber
I guess Umbrella would count as a magical perk, as well as some wind-related ability that could only be used for sweeping things at a close distance - these are both basically accessory perks.
Yes, i did umbrella (I call it "Water Ward" and protects from accidental spills, moderate natural rain and humidity).

Accessory perks are precisely the thing I'm looking for, but dressing them up like magic abilities is the thing that makes them cool. Besides, in a low-tech setting these accessory perks are highly useful as there was no handy lighters and flashlights and they become even more "magical".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha
Etch stone - touch, able to slowly scratch stone as if it was hard but wet clay.
I love this one! It has the flavour I want.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:24 PM   #5
Gudiomen

I also did...

Inner Warmth - single level of temperature tolerance to resist cold climate

Cool - single level of temperature tolerance to resist hot climate

Light Ward - mage is imune light flashes and doesn't have his vision impaired by strong light and luminosity (as if wearing sunglasses)

Sun Ward - mage is imune to sunburn, as a side effect has a hard time catching a tan

Light Orb - essentialy a floating lantern like Zé described.

Moon Gem - mage can create a single gem per moon cycle worth 1% of starting wealth (aka single level of Independent Income).

Day of Fasting - once a month the mage can skip a single day of food and drink without any ill effects.

Day of Vigilance - once a month the mage can skip one night of sleep without any ill effects.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:47 PM   #6
Flyndaran
Untagged

Hygiene: allows one to magically clean oneself as if just bathed.
(sanitized metabolism perk)

Friends with Morpheus: Essentially the deep sleeper perk, but with a cooler backstory.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:18 PM   #7
Brandy

Would "Spell X does not count as a Spell On" be a reasonable perk?