Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-22-2013, 03:55 PM   #19
DanHoward

Default Re: Knowing the outcome of an attack before choosing to actively defend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
I've never been in a fight or even seen a real fight where a person threw a feint so bad or missed with an attack so badly that the opponent didn't react to it. Even if it's just getting hit because their reaction was too slow. Even bad blows get blocked, parried or dodged. Not reacting only happens when the opponent is stunned, blindsided or covering up.

What any boxing match or UFC fight fight and see if you can spot one.
I've done it personally. During a fight I've seen attacks that I judged were going to either miss completely or hit somewhere that I knew would not hurt much so instead of dealing with it, I ignored it and used their opening to improve my attack. Sometimes I judged wrongly. One time I ended up in hospital with broken ribs. Another time I misjudged the distance of a footsweep. I was already balanced so he couldn't take out my front leg so I ignored his sweep but he stretched just far enough to clip my back leg too and I and landed on my back with my head hitting the floor. A third one was a back kick that I knew was too low so I let it go between my legs as I moved in but he hooked his leg up and his heel collected the family jewels.

Last edited by DanHoward; 04-22-2013 at 04:08 PM.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combat, house rules