Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 11-20-2017, 01:58 PM   #1
TheAmishStig

Default Set 1 Storage

We've been dabbling here and there in various threads now, so I figure it' time to put it all in one place.

I'm going to use this thread to drop information about what from Set 1 will fit in the various storage totes/etc. What I have access to primarily is the Husky boxes [7", 9", 11", 14"; if I get them, also the 22" Cantilever], so if someone with Plano boxes, Army transport foams, Chessex minis boxes, etc would be kind enough to chime in, the idea is to get a comprehensive list of what plays nice when it comes to storing your Ogre Minis.

Husky 9" Small Parts Organizer:
Price: $3
Brick and Mortar Availability: Home Depot
Mk.III: No
Mk.V: No
Conventional Units: Only if Stacked
The Verdict: I wouldn't use it for painted figures, because there's not enough room to fit a whole set in a "single layer" configuration. Unpainted, or if you're OK putting painted figures on top of one another, these will hold everything from Set 1 except the Ogres themselves.

Pictures: [coming soon]

Cell Size (single layer):
INF: 3 per Cell
GEV: 4-5 per Cell*
HVY: 3 per Cell
HWZ: 1 per Cell
MSL: 2 per Cell
CP: 1 per Cell

* 4 per cell in an IIII configuration, 5 per cell in an =III setup, but it's tight.

Other available packing options (1 cell each):
HWZ (gun in normal orientation) + GEV
HWZ (gun in reverse orientation) + HVY
CP + GEV
INF will fit in the 'open space' of a HWZ base if given a little overhang space.

In addition, the non-standard cells will hold 5 HVYs between the clasps, and 2 HVY + 2 GEV on the 'end' nonstandard cells.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Husky 14" Small Parts Organizer:
Price: $5
Brick and Mortar Availability: Home Depot
Mk.III: On its side
Mk.V: No
Conventional Units: Two Sets, single layer
The Verdict: The "half pipe" cell layout...curved transitions between permanent walls and the bottom, meant to make it easier to get the last washer/etc...is something I find to be a minor annoyance. It means lots of room for figures to slide around in transport. But if you're like me and want your figures in a single layer, these are about as perfect as they come. Two full sets, not counting Ogres, will fit in each one...leaving plenty of room to expand to either Set 2 or to double up on Set 1s. Unpainted / multiple layer, you'll get 2-3 times that in one.

Pictures: [coming soon]
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/

Last edited by TheAmishStig; 11-30-2017 at 10:05 PM.
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:15 AM   #2
schoon

Default Re: Set 1 Storage

My go to mini storage solution is to place magnets in the mini base (1/16 inch is all you need) and transport on a metal plate that fits in whatever box I happen to have.

Have not looked at this with the new plastics, but I would expect to mount them on some sort of scenic base that would work with the magnet.
schoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:54 AM   #3
Dave Crowell

Many of my smaller scale figures get mounted on Litko plywood bases with magnetic sheeting underneath. For storage and transport I use baking pans with snap-on plastic lids that I get at the local Dollar Store. The pans are deep enough to hold a fairly tall figure, and they are nicely protected.
Dave Crowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 10:02 AM   #4
Misplaced Buckeye

Has anyone tried the Ogre Garages to see how they fit?
Misplaced Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:39 AM   #5
offsides

I've got 3 sets in a single Plano 3700 (blue, red & green), divided as follows: HWZ in 2 compartments, and 1 each for HVY, MSL, GEV, CP, loose INF, Bases (some w/ INF) - all compartments evenly sized. They are just tossed in there, as the plastic is light enough that they aren't going to bang around and get damaged, and there's plenty of room for a second set in the same colors once I get to them (except possibly the HWZs) for 6 sets (minus Ogres) in a single case. The Ogres are in a 3780, with the Mk IIIs in a semi-vertical orientation and the Mk Vs flat. Not counting the larger space on the side (which I'm currently using for tools), that's enough room for 6 of each size Ogre, to match the 3700. So basically I've got room for everything except the GITD set in a pair of Plano boxes :)

I'll probably end up rearranging once I get set 2 next year, but for now it's good enough, and I still have 3 3700s, a 3750 and another 3780 for when that happens :P
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:01 PM   #6
Tim Kauffman

Really Useful Boxes. Kinda pricey, but top quality and sturdy and stackable.
http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/usa/

I posted elsewhere in these forums a comprehensive list of what I would need for a big collection. Can't find it atm.
Do some digging on their site, they have trays of various sizes that fit inside various sized boxes.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:15 PM   #7
43Supporter

I just wish someone would make foam to fit the boxes the stuff comes in to start with....

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 02:40 PM   #8
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
I just wish someone would make foam to fit the boxes the stuff comes in to start with....
There are a couple companies that do, but they make it for very specific products.

Feldherr
battlefoam

I don't think I've ever seen one that is Ogre-specific, though (not exactly a huge market to warrant it... yet).
Old 11-29-2017, 08:19 PM   #9
Mack_JB

Like 'Offsides' above, I'm also using Plano 3700 trays for everything, and 3780 for the Mk. V Ogres.

Here are nearly five full sets of the blue minis in a 3700 (missing two Mk. III, and only the mastless "Huscarl" Mk. V fits here):

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/3861242

The yellow things are a baggie with 40 Litko "disabled" markers.

As noted, being plastic, they can be jumbled and not suffer any damage.
Mack_JB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:13 PM   #10
TheAmishStig

Dropping a note here because I updated the first post with information on the 14" Husky, a little cleanup work, and the 'needed to doublecheck' stuff. I've got some pictures on my phone, it's just a matter of getting another USB cable.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote