Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 04-15-2019, 12:00 PM   #1
Black Leviathan

Default Blinking out of grapple?

So two weeks ago we had a session facing a big bad with Blink and no qualms about using it. I managed to grapple the bad guy but when I tried to bite her she used blink to escape and it was ruled that I fell to the ground and she was free. I wasn't all that happy and since we went that way I lost two more grapples to attacks that game. There was a combat lull and words were excahnged before the big bad decided fun time was over and we needed to be demolished. I managed to grapple a necklace around her neck by working hard at an attack from behind but couldn't get it off of her and she blinked and the necklace remained in my grip because it was currently strangling her throat.

So how should Blink work in these cases? I admit even though my halfling is small it's probably over the encumbrance level of the caster to blink away. so it makes sense Blink drops me. But what about legitimately tiny animals holding you. Would you blink away with part of a rat swarm still on you?

How about your equipment that someone else has grabbed? If you're fighting over a book with someone? What if you put them in manacles someone is still holding? What stays with you what goes with them? What if someone has just run their sword into your chest at a higher initiative order and you blink on the attack after? Did you sword go with them?
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:10 PM   #2
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: Blinking out of grapple?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Leviathan View Post
I admit even though my halfling is small it's probably over the encumbrance level of the caster to blink away.
What Encumbrance limit? There is no Encumbrance limit for Blink.

A successful Blink is a successful Dodge. If they can Dodge your attack, they can Blink away from your attack. If they can't, they can't.

So in the case of being strangled, you should have gone with her. In fact, in each case you should have gone with her, just in the case of your bite, you'ld have missed. IMO.

However, seeing as it's a teleport, I can see ruling it as your GM did, however she should have Blinked away from your initial grabs... or at least paid more to also Blink away from you.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:42 PM   #3
lachimba

You can’t cast spells while grappled. Though I think that is only for a concentrate manoeuvre.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:19 PM   #4
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
You can’t cast spells while grappled. Though I think that is only for a concentrate manoeuvre.
Blocking spells don't require the Concentrate Maneuver and nothing anywhere says you can't cast spells if grappled (you just normally can't due to a lack of a Concentrate Maneuver).
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote