Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 02-06-2019, 09:37 AM   #31
Maximum7

Default Re: What could a scientist in my Star Wars RPG be researching?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Wolf View Post
You're working in a universe that has hyperdrive, turbolasers, fighter-sized spaceships that make banking turns in vacuum, giant slug-worms that live in asteroids and generate an atmosphere in their intestines, and an order of knights that use the Force and laser swords. "A basis in real science" would seem almost a disqualifier here.
All those things are explained somewhow in the Expanded Universe and when I mean real science; I mean scientific ideas presented in a fictional way.
Maximum7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 11:13 AM   #32
Maximum7

Any other ideas?
Old 02-13-2019, 03:06 PM   #33
Maximum7

Does anybody have any other ideas? I’m trying to look for something that was never researched until the era of the New Republic like kyber crystals weren’t until the Empire used them for a superlaser and even then, they had been used in weapons formation in the past. I’m looking for something that presumably hasn’t been thought of in the 25,000 years of time where almost everything has already been done.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:07 PM   #34
Phantasm

Have you considered trying to duplicate Vong biotechnology? It's a divergent technology path that wasn't introduced until late in the EU timeline, after all. If this is set before the Vong were even known to exist, he'd be considered a crackpot, likely trying to justify his theories through field experimentation.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:31 PM   #35
Maximum7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Have you considered trying to duplicate Vong biotechnology? It's a divergent technology path that wasn't introduced until late in the EU timeline, after all. If this is set before the Vong were even known to exist, he'd be considered a crackpot, likely trying to justify his theories through field experimentation.
That’s a good idea but my story takes place in SW canon. The Vong don’t exist. Yet. Biotechnology is seen in many forms in Star Wars. I guess I could go that route but like I said; a lot of it has been done. The SW society is stagnant and not much changes in the fields of science and technology. Yet I just can’t accept that. I feel like science is bottomless and their should always be something new for someone to discover.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:36 AM   #36
Irish Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum7 View Post
That’s a good idea but my story takes place in SW canon. The Vong don’t exist. Yet. Biotechnology is seen in many forms in Star Wars. I guess I could go that route but like I said; a lot of it has been done. The SW society is stagnant and not much changes in the fields of science and technology. Yet I just can’t accept that. I feel like science is bottomless and their should always be something new for someone to discover.
It's a cultural issue, however. Some cultures really do stagnate, declining to learn or discover anything truly new. Usually in the real world, there's some reason for this, however stupid it may be; I've no idea why it holds true for Star Wars, but there you go. They seem to be incapable, as a society, of any kind of innovation (if the KotOR games are still in canon, that's been true for over four thousand years).

If you break the laws of God, you go to Hell.

If you break the laws of Physics, you go to Sweden and receive a Nobel Prize.
Irish Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 06:26 PM   #37
Phantasm

Quote:
It's a cultural issue, however. Some cultures really do stagnate, declining to learn or discover anything truly new. Usually in the real world, there's some reason for this, however stupid it may be; I've no idea why it holds true for Star Wars, but there you go. They seem to be incapable, as a society, of any kind of innovation (if the KotOR games are still in canon, that's been true for over four thousand years).
I actually blame the Jedi running the Republic for 2.5 to 3 thousand of those years preventing the innovation, and then they still had influence over the rest of the Republic after the Reformation in 1000 BBY. They encouraged complacency and stagnation, rather than innovation. (Case in point: one of the ships shown in Rogue One, the Hammerhead-class Cruiser, was a KOTOR-era design that had seen 4000 years of continual use.)

There's actually cases of technological regression in play, too, if you take KOTOR and SWTOR being in the exact same timeline as the movies. Show me in a movie where there are conformal force field belts (or wrist units, if the KOTOR mechanics are to be believed), not just the hemispherical ones on the droidekas. Given that the region on the semi-official maps marked "The Colonies" (between the Core Worlds and the Inner Rim) are mostly early mining and industrial colony planets, it's possible that after 20,000 years the mines have been tapped out almost completely.

And don't get me started on why blasters (pistols and rifles alike) canonically have ranges of 30 yards, and sniper blaster rifles 35 yards. Video game engine limitations being touted as canon in the tabletop RPGs and the Essential Guides, which are then echoed in the novels . . . .

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting

Last edited by Phantasm; 02-14-2019 at 06:29 PM.
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:11 PM   #38
David Johnston2

Quote:
Of course the KOTOR games aren't canon. They were actually not canon before Disney bought Lucasfilm because Clone Wars showed us the introduction of the ion cannon as a new weapons system.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:26 PM   #39
Johnny1A.2

Quote:
It's a cultural issue, however. Some cultures really do stagnate, declining to learn or discover anything truly new. Usually in the real world, there's some reason for this, however stupid it may be;
Actually, it's more the other way around. In real history, most cultures, most of the time, change slowly and advance slowly. The 'fast' periods, like the Hellenistic era or recent times, are the historical exception.

Quote:

I've no idea why it holds true for Star Wars, but there you go.
The Old Republic looks suspiciously like a 'stable state' empire, the sort of state that often emerges late in a civilization's span, kind of like the Roman Empire on a vastly larger scale. It's big, slow, ponderous, most of the ideas that come naturally to its dominant culture have been explored, but its very presence tends to suppress new cultures and new ways of looking at things.

Probably the Old Republic would, in the natural course of events, have fallen apart ages before, but it had the Jedi who could head off shocks that would knock it down, so it just endured, old and tired and fossilized.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:26 PM   #40
Maximum7

Does anybody have something that could be advanced and new but not strangle canon and not something obvious that would be thought of so easily. Star Wars is constantly expanding and most things appear anyway. Synthetic coaxium seemed perfect but I think it’s going to be in the new FFG game The Outer Rim.

Last edited by Maximum7; 02-22-2019 at 06:51 PM.

Tags
sci fi, star wars, technology