Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-28-2018, 11:32 AM   #61
Railstar

Default Re: Funding semi-realistic monster hunters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex_BR View Post
Freelance work and bounty hunting + loot maybe.
I like the bounty hunting. It uses their investigative skill set and gives them an excuse to be nosing around suspicious personages. It will probably be a secondary source of income, since I really like the predator-hunting cover, but it can work.
Railstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:03 AM   #62
Boomerang

I'm not sure if this is helpful, about twenty years ago I ran a gurps 3e monster hunters game with elements of gurps VTM and gurps creatures of the night.

The PCs were the hunters. They were effectively self funded, being part owners of a private detective agency. One was an ex-cop, one was an ex-reporter and one was a staff member (driver/security) for a wealthy patron. They mostly handled mundane cases e.g. cheating spouses, insurance fraud etc. but that was mostly hand waived as an explanation for their income with the game concentrating on the "weird" cases that the authorities and more reputable private detective agencies wouldn't touch.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:58 PM   #63
Bobcloclimar

Depending on the longevity of the group, they could also be sustaining themselves on the returns from an extensive investment portfolio* - the seeds of which could be trophies from previous victories.

It's sort of like having a wealthy benefactor giving them an allowance, while still letting them need to scrounge for resources in a pinch (don't want to tap into the seed investment), as well as acting as a sink for any major scores (e.g., their ill-gotten gains are folded into their portfolio, so their monthly income only increases by, say, 5-10% the value of whatever they just looted).

*This could be any number of investment vehicles - stocks, real estate, pogs, etc. Any structure that makes it easier to launder an ancient vampire's extensive holdings into cash (an extensive network of shell companies?) is probably ideal. Perhaps an NPC like the monster-victimized banker posited by previous posters helped them set it up.
Bobcloclimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 04:17 AM   #64
Polydamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
I'm not sure if this is helpful, about twenty years ago I ran a gurps 3e monster hunters game with elements of gurps VTM and gurps creatures of the night.

The PCs were the hunters. They were effectively self funded, being part owners of a private detective agency. One was an ex-cop, one was an ex-reporter and one was a staff member (driver/security) for a wealthy patron. They mostly handled mundane cases e.g. cheating spouses, insurance fraud etc. but that was mostly hand waived as an explanation for their income with the game concentrating on the "weird" cases that the authorities and more reputable private detective agencies wouldn't touch.
I think that is a good solution, since it also avoids the 'how does this tiny town have ten murders a year?' problem. In my campaign about barbarian mercenaries in a Bronze Age kingdom, there was about two adventures a year, and the intervening time of garrison life was glossed over.

A group who makes their living murdering people and robbing them is even more on the 'baddie'/hostis omnium hominum side than traditional monster hunters.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 04:38 AM   #65
Boomerang

The big advantage I found was that it was very easy to provide adventure hooks, simply introduce a new client.

Tags
covert ops, monster hunters