Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-23-2016, 09:57 AM   #1
ismenis

Default Requires gestures and other actions

What happens when (a) a passive power/ (b) a power that is a free action/ (c) a power that is a melee attack has the requires gestures limitation? Or would you as a GM prohibit such combinations and only allow the limitation for powers that require concentration?

1. Can another action be taken in the same turn the power is used?
2. If the answer for 1(a) is "yes", would the passive power be switched off when another action is taken, and would it come back on automatically once the action is complete?
3. If the answer for 1(b) is "yes", would the action suffer rapid strike penalties, which I assume would be the case for 1(c)?
4. Would (a) or (b) be useable while moving?

Or does the "requires gestures" limitation simply translate to "must have free hands and not restrained physically"?

Thanks in advance!
ismenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 10:02 AM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: Requires gestures and other actions

Depends entirely on the gestures. If you just have to shout the name of your power, fine. If you need to do hand signs from Naruto the entire time? That kind of limits what you can do.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 10:05 AM   #3
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ismenis View Post
Or does the "requires gestures" limitation simply translate to "must have free hands and not restrained physically"?
Approximately.

The restriction on allowable advantages for this (and really quite a lot of other limitations) is that it needs to be turned on. You need to gesture to activate it, not to keep it running. A passive power that is on all the time couldn't have it, but one that you need to activate, but then stays on for a limited duration could. If you do need to keep making gestures to keep in running, it probably needs both requires gestures and requires concentration.

Edit: So specifically
On a passive power, only if you activate it first for a limited time
On a free action, it's not a free action any more
On a melee attack, it's not usually a valid limitation, a melee attack already essentially requires it, you must be able to move to take an Attack maneuver, though I suppose I might let you get away with taking it along with No Signature (you don't need to look like you are attacking, but you do need to do something specific physically)
No you can't normally do something else the same turn. A power that requires activation ordinarily requires an action to activate it.
Switching off when you do something else is Requires Concentration, and no once something switches off it doesn't return when you stop doing whatever interrupted it, though you could probably build something that did with a combination of Reflexive and alternate abilities that only let you do one thing at a time.
I let you do gestures while moving to the same extent you can do attacks, so Step and Activate is fine, Move and Activate works, but takes a penalty if you need to make a roll for anything with a cap if you need to roll to target something other than yourself.

Last edited by malloyd; 12-23-2016 at 10:17 AM.
malloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 10:10 AM   #4
ismenis

I think the latter (although not for the entire turn, otherwise of course no other action can be taken) or something similar is appropriate for a 10% limitation.

My own take on my own questions would be:

1. Yes for (a), (b) and (c).
2. Yes. Or it has to be activated using "elaborate gestures".
3. Er, not sure but I'm going for either a yes or simply not allow this limitation for (b) depending on what the power does.
4. Yes.

But I'm interested in what everyone else thinks. Thanks!
Old 12-23-2016, 10:22 AM   #5
ismenis

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Approximately.

The restriction on allowable advantages for this (and really quite a lot of other limitations) is that it needs to be turned on. You need to gesture to activate it, not to keep it running. A passive power that is on all the time couldn't have it, but one that you need to activate, but then stays on for a limited duration could. If you do need to keep making gestures to keep in running, it probably needs both requires gestures and requires concentration.

And no you can't normally do something else the same turn. A power that requires activation ordinarily requires an action to activate it.
So this interpretation of the limitation clears things up for (a), and rules out (c), which when I think about it now it definitely looks like a free 10% off that doesn't limit the power at all. Possibly rules out (b) as well, but that one I'm not so sure about.
Old 12-24-2016, 02:49 AM   #6
kirbwarrior

I'd allow it for free actions and attacks. It's no less limiting (or it limits as much, based on your point of view). Even if the gestures don't take a meaningful amount of time, they must still be made, and thus can be stopped with however the gesture would be stopped.

I don't think it would work for a passive power because you don't 'use' it. Now, if you wanted it to require constant gestures, that might be worth more than Temporary Disad: No Manipulators (since you are using them to gesture).

The reason I'm okay with it for attacks is because it's in addition to; A breath attack requiring hand gestures is very clearly a disad, and even an attack that comes from the hand would normally work on any bindings, but with this limitation it would not.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote