Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Warehouse 23 Digital

Old 12-19-2010, 12:10 PM   #1
rogersd

Default DF and adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
* GURPS buyers just love the heck out of Dungeon Fantasy. This is a subclass of Genre Support that has done so well it deserves its own category. Spaceships actually is a similar thing, in that it's a metasystem (Core and Rules) that also supports genre (and divides it out into books based on genre; warships, traders, funky stuff, etc). It stands somewhat to reason that setting and adventure support in these two categories would also do very well, DF more than spaceships.
I agree whole heartedly with this. There have been repeated requests on the forums in many different threads for adventure support for Dungeon Fantasy. I feel that much of this is the genesis of TBC's DF adventure which has been mentioned on several occasions by Kromm on his Live Journal. If the adventure by TBC is successful, I wonder if something similar to Pathfinder ould be developed to support the Gurps DF line.

Though I feel the lack of a monster supplement early in the series has been a limitation.

Dave.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:36 PM   #2
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: Another Purely Symbolic Milestone

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogersd View Post
If the adventure by TBC is successful, I wonder if something similar to Pathfinder ould be developed to support the Gurps DF line.
Similar in what way?

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:58 PM   #3
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
I agree whole heartedly with this.
Just so we're clear: DF if likely the ONLY genre-support style line in which adventure support MIGHT be viable. And again with the "do the math" comment, it'd be because DF has the potential for "plotless" settings where nearly any adventure can be air-dropped in.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:03 PM   #4
tg_ambro

Quote:
something similar to Pathfinder ould be developed to support the Gurps DF line.
If you mean a canonical DF setting . . . Eww.

If you mean an entire game system (gurps rules + DF material) rolled into one thing and sold seperate from GURPS proper . . . Eww.

Check out my blog, Ambro's Brainwaves Pretend you have telepathy, read my thoughts!
tg_ambro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 03:08 PM   #5
rogersd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
Similar in what way?
In an adventure path way. A series of linked adventures that can be played separately, or as part of a campaign.

As a GM with family, kids, job, etc., there are times when the reality of a e23 adventure for my DF group that really is download, print and play would be very nice.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:37 AM   #6
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Default DF Adventure Series

Quote:
In an adventure path way. A series of linked adventures that can be played separately, or as part of a campaign.
Something I've considered, actually (as part of conversations about a potential adventure which turned into a series of adventures at somebody else's suggestion, which in turn morphed into something completely different). The important thing, as I see it, is that each adventure in a series must be capable of being run completely independently, without necessary reference to the ones that came before it, and without requiring the ones to come after. That is, there should be potential hooks to tie them all together, but you must be able to account for the chance that the PCs will, despite your efforts to the contrary, kill the villain in adventure A so that he's unexpectedly unavailable for adventure B. Doable, but tricky.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:50 AM   #7
lachimba

Default Re: DF Adventure Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
The important thing, as I see it, is that each adventure in a series must be capable of being run completely independently, without necessary reference to the ones that came before it, and without requiring the ones to come after. That is, there should be potential hooks to tie them all together, but you must be able to account for the chance that the PCs will, despite your efforts to the contrary, kill the villain in adventure A so that he's unexpectedly unavailable for adventure B. Doable, but tricky.
So a series of linked dungeons, or treasure hunt for a set of artifacts or something like that?
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:05 AM   #8
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Default Re: DF Adventure Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
So a series of linked dungeons, or treasure hunt for a set of artifacts or something like that?
Or simply a series of linked events. For example: a generic treasure hunt (adventure A) turns up a map for a more important artifact (the pursuit of which adventure B) which leads to a complicated set of conflicts with the original owners, other treasure hunters, bound spirits, etc. (which is played out in adventure C). In such a series, the map which kicks off adventure B could be found during any adventure, not just adventure A, while the artifact which kicks off adventure C could also be found during any adventure. Likewise, the adventure A map could lead to anything else, and the adventure B artifact could come free of complications.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:08 PM   #9
Bruno

Default Re: DF and adventures

These kinds of adventures are WAY BETTER than the "#@$* You Samuel Height" type (thank you White Wolf) where the entire chain depends on this one NPC that absolutely must not be killed or thwarted or the rest of the adventures fizzle.

When we ran through them, it got to the point when every time Height showed up, the GM had to stop play and remind everyone that we won't be able to kill him, so don't try toooo hard or the story will get bent out of shape. We did things that were well-set for being dramatically thwarted as he escaped, which was sort of fun, but rather frustrating because after about the third adventure you REALLY hate the guy.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:23 PM   #10
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: DF and adventures

Xanatos Gambits work well for this sort of thing as well. Have the overarching villain actually benefit from the the failure of the minor villains in adventures A, B, and C. Adventure D is the final confrontation.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventures, dungeon fantasy