Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-14-2010, 07:47 PM   #1
maxashe

Default GURPS Fantasy Adventures

Anyone know where I can find some fan made modules for GURPS Fantasy?
maxashe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:15 PM   #2
Gold & Appel Inc

Default Re: GURPS Fantasy Adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxashe View Post
Anyone know where I can find some fan made modules for GURPS Fantasy?
What kind of Fantasy are you looking for?
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:20 PM   #3
maxashe

Anything really. I have a preference for Lord of the Rings style games but I'm pretty broad minded.
maxashe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:15 AM   #4
Monsewer

I wouldn't worry about GURPS specific Fantasy stuff, since conversions are fairly easy if you 1) know what type of game they like, ie RP, Combat, Combo 2) is the party balanced, ie healing, swordsmanship, offensive spells, and 3) how experienced are your players; ie do they approach every combat like they were playing D&D.

I've been running Banestorm for about a year now and I'm using sourcebooks from all sorts of systems; D&D, Pathfinder (specifically Kingmaker), Harn, and Cthulhu Dark Ages. Whenever combat is involved, I have a rough idea of how skilled the minions are. I give him ten HP, a sword skill of around 12, a crappy parry and dodge and always a speed that's around 5. If the PC's are skilled at combat at all, they should easily mop up most standard encounters. Any strange creatures are going to require some planning on the character's parts if they don't have weaponry which is specifically made to defeat a particular monster, ie a fire sword which does extra damage to ice based monsters.

Of course, if they don't have healing, they'll likely be in a world of hurt in most combats. Violence is often a good way to get a "One Arm" or "One Leg" disadvantage on your character in GURPS. Finding a healer in a strange city is an adventure in itself.

I use the character creator (GCA) or the free GCS to make a villian that's going to be around for a while.

A standard hack and slash module from D&D is going to need major changes if you're not running a high powered fantasy campaign along the lines of GURPS Dungeon Fantasy. I've got a great little module that I got from drivethru rpg which is essentially a murder mystery set in Victorian England. It's easy to convert that to both GURPS and medieval fantasy because it's essentially the story and clues that drive the session, not stats.

Here are great sites that have pdfs. You can search for something specific on a few of them; ala Orcs, or cults, or cathedral.

http://paizo.com
http://e23.sjgames.com
http://drivethrurpg.com

Your local game store is also likely to carry a lot of the Pathfinder stuff and standard D&D modules. Wizards of the Coast's D&D insider has a huge amount of modules, but they aren't searchable in any fashion. You need to keep up on the content or actively read the forums to make it useful.
Monsewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:05 PM   #5
Greg 1

I've got a homebrew GURPS Dungeon Fantasy module "Beneath Castle Everglory". Anyone who wants it can have that.

I only have maps for the first three levels though, and only because Kuroshima so very kindly drew them up for me.
Greg 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:44 PM   #6
Amra

GURPS is very weak in module/scenario support. There is the free Caravan to Ein Arris available on e23. There is some other stuff out there, mostly for 3e, but I haven't found anything I would recommend.

Since SJG doesn't do much scenario support, you have to look to other companies. I think that BRP scenarios are amongst the easiest to convert. Both systems have a lot in common (attribute range, hit points, deadly combat, etc). The problem with D&D scenarios is that you almost always have to tone down the combat challenges because D&D combat isn't as deadly as GURPS combat (low level D&D scenarios can often work though).

BRP includes Stormbringer, Runequest I-III and Mongoose's version of Runequest 1 & 2, Elric and Lankhmar so there is a lot of material out there.

I've run Harn and used the Harnmaster modules using BRP in the past, before GURPS 4e was out. I think that they would also be fairly easy to convert to GURPS. I'd call Harnmaster a BRP-like system.

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying is another source for scenarios and the conversions shouldn't be too much work. There are a lot of free scenarios available online for both Harn and WFRP.

The key for me is in the feel of the material and the tone for combat. GURPS, BRP and WFRP all have deadly, gritty combat and the scenarios reflect that.

When I fondly think back to my D&D days and remember some of the classic adventures like Against the Giants, The Temple of Elemental Evil, The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth, Etc; I think that they were fun D&D games but would slaughter PCs in GURPS, BRP or WFRP.
Amra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:28 PM   #7
Cajetan

There's a ton of easily convertible material on Lythia.com at
the downloads/adventures section.
The content there is created by Harn fans so it assumes the Harn setting, but that setting is very easy to use elsewhere: it does not require magic to explain anything and the gods do not have to exist - it all holds together with a very magic-optional philosophy. This makes it easy to convert even if you don't use that setting. HarnWorld, the setting, is designed to be used with any system, and the HarnMaster system is a separate entity that you can use if you like really detailed combat, but IMO GURPS is a better system for HarnWorld setting anyway.
The most recent post at Lythia.com is a fortified manor house with excellent plans that you can populate with anything you like.
The one before that is a collection of a dozen one-page outdoor "adventure skeletons" dealing with tribesmen and beasts.
Cajetan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:27 PM   #8
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg 1 View Post
I've got a homebrew GURPS Dungeon Fantasy module "Beneath Castle Everglory". Anyone who wants it can have that.
(...)
PM sent! I'm interested in DF fan-made adventures.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:18 PM   #9
Corlock Striker

There's also the stickied thread at the top of the Forums, the GURPS Community Campaign and Adventure Repository. I've put a summary of the fantasy campaign I'm currently running in there. And plenty of other forumites have done the same.
Corlock Striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:15 PM   #10
Ronnke

You can also check www.rpgarchive.com it's not specific to GURPS, but there is a lot of material that can be easily converted.
Ronnke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventures