Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-05-2014, 01:15 PM   #1
oneofmanynameless

Default High Quality Accessory

Accessory is a perk which lets you have a piece of equipment built into your body. I have two questions and a third based on the first two.

1) How would you model having a particularly high quality piece of equipment built into your body which grants bonuses to your skill? Just a talent?

2) Does Accessory include allowing other people to use that piece of equipment?

3) What if you had a high quality piece of equipment built into you which other people could use?
oneofmanynameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 01:16 PM   #2
oneofmanynameless

Default Re: High Quality Accessory

I should probably mention that the specific instance I was thinking of was in regards to having Charm making equipment for RPM built into you.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:50 PM   #3
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofmanynameless View Post
1) How would you model having a particularly high quality piece of equipment built into your body which grants bonuses to your skill? Just a talent?
Well, you probably can't. GURPS Power-Ups 2 (p. 10) says Basic equipment only. Anything that grants a bonus is a no-no. Supposing you could, I'd figure the costs as if it were a piece of Signature Gear + Accessory Perk. Maybe add the cost of what it would take to buy a Payload with the gear in it.

Quote:
2) Does Accessory include allowing other people to use that piece of equipment?
Quote:
3) What if you had a high quality piece of equipment built into you which other people could use?
Yes, but you must specify if you can use it or others can, if you can do both, buy Accessory twice. Again, see GURPS Power-Ups 2 (p. 10).

Quote:
I should probably mention that the specific instance I was thinking of was in regards to having Charm making equipment for RPM built into you.
I'd point out that PK's Natural Thaumaturge perk (from Pyramid #3/66: The Laws of Magic, p. 17) might be a good starting point for this.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 02:00 PM   #4
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

The simplest way to ensure that an Accessory gives you +1 with whatever it does is to take an Equipment Bond with your Accessory. If you have, say, Accessory (Lockpicks) and Equipment Bond (Built-In Lockpicks), the net effect is that your built-in lockpicks are of higher-than-basic quality.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 02:04 PM   #5
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
The simplest way to ensure that an Accessory gives you +1 with whatever it does is to take an Equipment Bond with your Accessory. If you have, say, Accessory (Lockpicks) and Equipment Bond (Built-In Lockpicks), the net effect is that your built-in lockpicks are of higher-than-basic quality.
That is awesome! So simple. So elegant. The munchkin in me must ask - since it's a part of you, could you purchase something akin to the "Greater Weapon Bond" from Pyramid #3/61: Way of the Warrior and get a bonus higher than +1?

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 02:06 PM   #6
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
For bonuses beyond this, you may be able to convince the GM to let you buy a Racial Bonus to skill. This is [2]/level per skill, and "Only when using my built-in accessory" may be -20% or so (it basically just means you can't benefit from a high-quality piece of equipment and this bonus at the same time; note unless the GM lets you get a +3 or more in this way, that -20% doesn't really mean anything).
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:34 AM   #7
oneofmanynameless

Asked and answered... that's pretty incredible. Thanks!!!