Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-06-2014, 10:40 AM   #1
oneofmanynameless

Default RPM - Ally that is a Collection

The title basically says it all. I'm thinking of two situations: A dryad/magician whose tree acts as a Collection for a handful of spells, and a fairly classic witch who has a familiar which acts as a collection for a handful of spells.

I'm not terribly concerned if it does exactly the same thing mechanically as long as it gives the same general benefit: "The ally can help you raise energy for these specific spells but it might have a drawback [like taking longer]"
oneofmanynameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:32 AM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: RPM - Ally that is a Collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofmanynameless View Post
The title basically says it all. I'm thinking of two situations: A dryad/magician whose tree acts as a Collection for a handful of spells, and a fairly classic witch who has a familiar which acts as a collection for a handful of spells.

I'm not terribly concerned if it does exactly the same thing mechanically as long as it gives the same general benefit: "The ally can help you raise energy for these specific spells but it might have a drawback [like taking longer]"
I'd probably use Control (Magic) and limit it (the advantage is from Pyramid #3/66: The Laws of Magic, p. 11). So maybe something like...

Control Magic (Energy-Gathering Only, -20%; Limited Scope, A handful of related spells*, -70%) [5/level]. Each level allows your familiar to enhance your spells by giving you a +1 bonus to energy gathering rolls. There is no maximum here, but I'd probably limit it to +10 - though you could also stack this and a grimoire if you wanted to. If you can't, I'd call that a -5% Nuisance Effect.

* Anywhere from 2 to 5 related spells (i.e., they must all have a common theme, like "fire spells" or "light spells" or "deceptive spells"). Each 5 spells added to this ought to reduce it by -10%, with no more than 35 related spells for -10%. That's almost the equivalent of a broad tradition.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:39 AM   #3
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

What about just Energy Reserve (Granted by Familiar - 40%)?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 12:48 PM   #4
oneofmanynameless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
I'd probably use Control (Magic) and limit it (the advantage is from Pyramid #3/66: The Laws of Magic, p. 11). So maybe something like...

Control Magic (Energy-Gathering Only, -20%; Limited Scope, A handful of related spells*, -70%) [5/level]. Each level allows your familiar to enhance your spells by giving you a +1 bonus to energy gathering rolls. There is no maximum here, but I'd probably limit it to +10 - though you could also stack this and a grimoire if you wanted to. If you can't, I'd call that a -5% Nuisance Effect.

* Anywhere from 2 to 5 related spells (i.e., they must all have a common theme, like "fire spells" or "light spells" or "deceptive spells"). Each 5 spells added to this ought to reduce it by -10%, with no more than 35 related spells for -10%. That's almost the equivalent of a broad tradition.
Yup! That does the trick! Thanks!!!
Old 11-06-2014, 01:08 PM   #5
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Yup! That does the trick! Thanks!!!
Sure. Glad I could help. :-) I've got a pretty killer article for RPM familiars wrote (it's waiting on a home issue) that covers this stuff pretty extensively.

Become a Patron!
Old 11-06-2014, 01:43 PM   #6
oneofmanynameless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Sure. Glad I could help. :-) I've got a pretty killer article for RPM familiars wrote (it's waiting on a home issue) that covers this stuff pretty extensively.
Oh I can't wait to see that...
Old 11-06-2014, 01:51 PM   #7
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Oh I can't wait to see that...
Yeah, it's pretty cool (I'm never satisfied with my work so that's high praise). It's got rules for every sort of familiar you can think of: animals, spirits, inanimate objects, squirrels - you name it and you should be able to do it. All sorts of nifty new modifiers and powers. It's crunchy, but has plenty of fluff too.

Become a Patron!