Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Miniatures

Old 03-11-2018, 01:28 PM   #11
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Default Re: Cleaning DLP Mini prints

Ah, fair point. I've never ordered anything from them, so I'm not, actually, sure what the difference between their normal plastic and their high-quality plastic is.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 03:58 AM   #12
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert

First print failed. Apparently, I didn't have enough support, and it adhered to the film.

Second print just finished and was a rather grand success. I've got the figures sitting in my home-made curing oven right now. If I can get good pics (and can get them posted somewhere useful), I'll post the pics.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:00 AM   #13
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert

Bobb has been unable to get any good photos of the figures as the included resin (green) is translucent, and it does a great job of not showing up details on pictures. Due to an unexpected blizzard here in Denver, we also could not prime any of the figures.

After several prints (most good, a few failures, but more good than bad--including a bunch of test Lego guns Bobb wanted to try out), I did purchase a pair of figures (STLs) from Hero Forge. Todd Diallo, from my Infinite Weirdo's game, and my sister's Tiefling, Ink, from our D&D game. Todd came out great, Ink . . . the slicer decided to not support her tail or her crossbow so . . . they didn't work. I've got her ready for another test when my next print is done.

I've put the 2x scale Hero Forge Paladin (sans base) in to run overnight. It looks to be a huge ordeal to clean the supports (it needs a lot), but I'll see tomorrow.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:33 PM   #14
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert

Okay, giant Paladin is out and . . . something went . . . strange. He printed fine, just has a wavy texture.

It's super-obvious in his shield (a large, flat object), but less-so in the rest of him.

On the other hand, with how messy (and smelly) DLP printing is, until they have printers that automatically post-process, this doesn't seem to be something that regular people will have. An FDM printer (specifically with PLA) seems to be a no-brainer for universal adoption,
Old 03-20-2018, 04:59 AM   #15
MIB 9966

I'm curious if the SLA printers (specifically I've only seen the output from a Form 2 printer) would require the same kind of care in post. The resolution and fine detail seemed pretty good in my only experience, and I wondered if the upside down table helps the wave effect.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:30 AM   #16
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIB 9966 View Post
I'm curious if the SLA printers (specifically I've only seen the output from a Form 2 printer) would require the same kind of care in post. The resolution and fine detail seemed pretty good in my only experience, and I wondered if the upside down table helps the wave effect.
Yes, they require the exact same post-process. The difference between DLP and SLA is how the resin is hardened, and the post-processing is all due to the resin.

(SLA uses a laser to harden the resin in the same manner an FDM machine deposits filament, DLP uses an LCD screen to mask an intense UV lightsource.)

However, I think I know what caused the "wave-interference pattern" and, when I get my current fix in place, and it proves it's working, I'll see about it again.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:20 PM   #17
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

I continue to read this thread with interest. Thank you!

https://www.oldwestscenery.com/ is doing some beautiful 3d printing for N-scale railroad hobbyists. I have handled their work and it's just as good as it looks in the pictures.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:34 PM   #18
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert

Well, I replaced my first FEP film today. It's not hard per se, it's just time consuming and labor-intensive.

I was having a lot of issues with prints not "sticking" to the build plate. When the prints would stick to the plate, they were usually amazing. When they wouldn't, it was annoying and, potentially damaged the FEP film (because they stuck to it, instead).

I've printed several figures that came out amazing. But, just as many times, it had failed. So, trying to figure out the process.

I had increased the base layer's cure time from 50 seconds to 60 seconds, to see if that would help adhere it. It did for a couple, then not so much. It seemed dependent on where it was printing on the film.

I'm not sure if the print film I had shipped with my printer was "new." My unit might have been a QC machine and the film might have had issues because of that. Don't know, can't say.

As soon as we can get some good pictures, I'll see about trying to post one or two.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:51 PM   #19
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert

If someone can check and tell me if this picture is viewable, please.

Heroforge demos

I can view it, because it's my onedrive account. They're a little "messy" because I wasn't sure what I was doing. I have other pics I'll post, if those are visible.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:00 PM   #20
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
If someone can check and tell me if this picture is viewable, please.

Heroforge demos

I can view it, because it's my onedrive account. They're a little "messy" because I wasn't sure what I was doing. I have other pics I'll post, if those are visible.
Your image is visible.