Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 12-07-2023, 10:20 AM   #751
TGLS

Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Slam: "Squif."
Florence: "Its a local species on Panogos. tastes pretty good. thriving market. Royal had me try and match a local commercial fish. Hardest part is getting them ungutted. Please ask if the starpus want to try them processed."
"OK, apparently I was incorrect. These are a human fish, just not one I'm remotely familiar with... It's OK if you don't like them, we could get you something else, or you could try them gutted..."

Quote:
Big Digger: "You don't know how to outfit us for the spawning season then? I suppose you wouldn't. We will... try to describe it.*"
"It's not an immediate priority. Whether it's possible is the main question right now. We can sort out a spawning tank later."
Quote:
Pleasant Caller: "I don't think any of us want to raise children though!"
Don't worry; someone else will handle the raising...
Quote:
Gentle Arms: "We have a functional but non-optimal spawning mix."
They must feel really uncomfortable if they're this dry about it.

I summarize to Royal or whoever. "They could do spawning with the mix they have, but it's "not optimal" whatever that means. If I had to guess the answer is probably "too many males". They're picky about the conditions they spawn in and none of them want to raise children. Something tells me the client would empathize there."
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 05:33 AM   #752
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
"OK, apparently I was incorrect. These are a human fish, just not one I'm remotely familiar with... It's OK if you don't like them, we could get you something else, or you could try them gutted..."
Gentle arms: "Maybe that would be better?"
Pleasant Caller: "Can we get our old fish?"
Hungry Singer: "I think it grows you. Keep them coming."

Quote:
"It's not an immediate priority. Whether it's possible is the main question right now. We can sort out a spawning tank later."
Big Digger: Yes, there should be time for that later. We haven't tracked that since we made the deal to pilot.

Quote:
They must feel really uncomfortable if they're this dry about it.
GM scribbles.

Quote:
I summarize to Royal or whoever. "They could do spawning with the mix they have, but it's "not optimal" whatever that means. If I had to guess the answer is probably "too many males". They're picky about the conditions they spawn in and none of them want to raise children. Something tells me the client would empathize there."
Royal: "Most people would empathize. The question is if we have any ability to do something about it. Even if a human can raise them, they would need to be Astropic, and right now we have one teenager."

"That's what the client needs to know. They won't be happy, but the payout's big enough anyways."

"You'll be traveling with the starpus. I should be able to get our money quickly. Any requests before we go? you've got a pretty large share."

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 03:57 PM   #753
TGLS

Quote:
Gentle arms: "Maybe that would be better?"
Pleasant Caller: "Can we get our old fish?"
Hungry Singer: "I think it grows you. Keep them coming."
I don't know if we can get them the old fish. "Is this fish that bad? How about trying them gutted?"
Quote:
Big Digger: Yes, there should be time for that later. We haven't tracked that since we made the deal to pilot.
I leave it there.
Quote:
Royal: "Most people would empathize. The question is if we have any ability to do something about it. Even if a human can raise them, they would need to be Astropic, and right now we have one teenager."
"Well, we could do something about it. That is to say; 'build a spaceship, fly to Kuru and collect more Starpus who are willing to deal.' Maybe not trivial but unless the Concordance is willing to fight the rebels forever..."
Quote:
"That's what the client needs to know. They won't be happy, but the payout's big enough anyways."

"You'll be traveling with the starpus. I should be able to get our money quickly. Any requests before we go? you've got a pretty large share."
"I guess I'll still be working with them for the forseeable? Could I get something sweet to eat? It seems like something worth celebrating, and... I rarely got anything sweet..."
Old 12-11-2023, 08:47 AM   #754
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
I don't know if we can get them the old fish. "Is this fish that bad? How about trying them gutted?"
Pleasant caller: "They are that bad. Sure, if they're going to be better."
Hungry Singer: "I think I like them. You just need to know what to expect."
Big Digger: "Something else would be nice."

Quote:
"Well, we could do something about it. That is to say; 'build a spaceship, fly to Kuru and collect more Starpus who are willing to deal.' Maybe not trivial but unless the Concordance is willing to fight the rebels forever..."
Royal: "Surely they'll guard Kuro after this. And the Concordance will be willing to support this fight for a long time. We'd hit other stations like this. We may be able to make money as advisors on that sort of thing."

Quote:
"I guess I'll still be working with them for the forseeable? Could I get something sweet to eat? It seems like something worth celebrating, and... I rarely got anything sweet..."
Royal: "You will never stop being an astropic. Maybe after they get a way for the starpus to communicate on their own. But make sure they give you everything you need. Like sweets. If that's all you can think to ask for, you need a lesson in how to spend money and live it up."

In about an hour, Julian gets a message that they've got stuff for him. It turns out to be around 100 lbs of food. Candy, baked goods, hot piping meat, exotic fruits, and other snacks.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 12-11-2023, 11:59 AM   #755
TGLS

Quote:
Pleasant caller: "They are that bad. Sure, if they're going to be better."
Hungry Singer: "I think I like them. You just need to know what to expect."
Big Digger: "Something else would be nice."
"So what specifically is wrong with the fish? Like, is it because their tentacles are too rubbery or something?"

"Would you be willing to try food that isn't fish at all?"

Then I tell Royal (Or whoever is handling the supply situation), "They'd like a different fish. Like one in three actually like the fish. Maybe something less squid-like?"

Quote:
Royal: "Surely they'll guard Kuro after this. And the Concordance will be willing to support this fight for a long time. We'd hit other stations like this. We may be able to make money as advisors on that sort of thing."
"Good luck with that." I leave unsaid how lucky I feel they were...

Julian assumed the we was not inclusive; he doesn't think much of persuading the Starpus.

Quote:
Royal: "You will never stop being an astropic. Maybe after they get a way for the starpus to communicate on their own. But make sure they give you everything you need. Like sweets. If that's all you can think to ask for,
So stupid asking for that, so many more important things to spend money on...
Quote:
you need a lesson in how to spend money and live it up."
"Yeah, maybe I do."
Quote:
In about an hour, Julian gets a message that they've got stuff for him. It turns out to be around 100 lbs of food. Candy, baked goods, hot piping meat, exotic fruits, and other snacks.
"All for me? Really?"

Naturally, I stuff my self silly.

After over eating such rich foods, a few hours later...

I clutch my stomach. Why does something that taste so good feel so awful?

I suppose someone might ask why Julian would over eat like that...
"It'd be a waste to let good food go bad, or cold."
Old 12-12-2023, 09:05 AM   #756
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
"So what specifically is wrong with the fish? Like, is it because their tentacles are too rubbery or something?"
Pleasant caller: "It just tastes wrong."
Hungry Singer: "You mean it tastes different!"
Pleasant Caller: "What's the difference?"
Hungry Singer: "Back on Koru we'd be happy to have something to eat at all!"

Quote:
"Would you be willing to try food that isn't fish at all?"
Big Digger: "We could try...."
Hungry Singer: "Yes, lets try!"
Big Digger: "Though I'd have thought if human food worked for us the Concordance would have figured it out."

Quote:
Then I tell Royal (Or whoever is handling the supply situation), "They'd like a different fish. Like one in three actually like the fish. Maybe something less squid-like?"
Royal: "That was Florence's best guess. We can try something else. It will be very difficult to get their specific fish breed. I suppose we can try breeding it, but it will be a long time. We can try more."

Quote:
I suppose someone might ask why Julian would over eat like that...
They don't. They're oddly quiet about it.

Preparations are made to smuggle Julian and the Starpus off Curry Station on onto Panogos. The plan is that he will be riding with the Starpus. They continue to try different fish and other foods for the starpus. Hungry Singer appears to like everything. Pleasant Caller appears to like nothing.

Florence asks Julian about his ability to move objects, how it feels, and brings a set of weights to test his abilities. She also brings in what looks like some sort of MRI machine and wants him to get in it while he lifts things and talks to the starpus. She has some sort of tablet to give him as well "As a gift".

That night, Julian is about to fall asleep when he hears what feels like a scream from a screamer... but somehow different.

Old 12-12-2023, 10:30 AM   #757
TGLS

Quote:
Hungry Singer: "Back on Koru we'd be happy to have something to eat at all!"
They continue to try different fish and other foods for the starpus. Hungry Singer appears to like everything. Pleasant Caller appears to like nothing.
I'm starting to see why he's called Hungry Singer...

Quote:
Big Digger: "We could try...."
Big Digger: "Though I'd have thought if human food worked for us the Concordance would have figured it out."
"Well, feeders aren't speakers, right? Maybe they figured if the feeders fed you Human food, they might think you're more people-like than the Concordance would like..."

Quote:
Royal: "That was Florence's best guess. We can try something else. It will be very difficult to get their specific fish breed. I suppose we can try breeding it, but it will be a long time. We can try more."
"Maybe we could try gutting a Screamer and have them eat that..."

Quote:
They don't. They're oddly quiet about it.
Maybe they thought I'd share? I probably should have...

Quote:
Preparations are made to smuggle Julian and the Starpus off Curry Station on onto Panogos. The plan is that he will be riding with the Starpus.
"Isn't that kind of dangerous? Couldn't something shake loose and squish me?"

Quote:
Florence asks Julian about his ability to move objects, how it feels, and brings a set of weights to test his abilities. She also brings in what looks like some sort of MRI machine and wants him to get in it while he lifts things and talks to the starpus.
I cooperate with Florence's tests. I keep anything metal away from the MRI machine.
"Wow, I didn't know you could get an MRI machine on rollers now."

Quote:
She has some sort of tablet to give him as well "As a gift".
I accept it. I discard the thought that she did something to it. I wouldn't be able to figure that out either.

Quote:
That night, Julian is about to fall asleep when he hears what feels like a scream from a screamer... but somehow different.
I give Royal an update: "I heard something like a screamer but not a screamer just now... I'm going to ask the Starpus about this."

Then I go ask the Starpus about the scream, and if they heard it.
Old 12-13-2023, 08:38 AM   #758
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
"Well, feeders aren't speakers, right? Maybe they figured if the feeders fed you Human food, they might think you're more people-like than the Concordance would like..."
They try other human food. Florence suggests some meats, fish, and meat composits. Slam wants to throw anything that won't disintegrate in water into the tank. He volunteers to fish out anything they don't eat.

"They don't mind if I swim with them, do they? What about touching? I'll be careful. besides, they look like cute fellas."

Pleasant caller refuses to eat anything that everyone else hasn't already eaten. Hungry singer tries everything. Some of slam's stuff meets with marked disgust "You eat that?". You have some success with "VILD Chicken", some sort of meat patty grown from "methanotrophic cultures" involving electricity and methane for "100% guilt-free-meat: No animals and No ecosystems"

Quote:
"Maybe we could try gutting a Screamer and have them eat that..."
Royal "We can't have the concordance controlling our food source. That wouldn't solve the problem."
Florence: "It does give us another species we could figure out the life cycle for though: another chance to establish native food. And we have extra, right?"
Royal: "I wouldn't say extra, but we could try slaughtering one to see how they take it. If we're confident of success."

Quote:
"Isn't that kind of dangerous? Couldn't something shake loose and squish me?"
Royal: "Its less dangerous than half the things you've done while here, and all the things you talk about in Riask. And probably less dangerous than waiting for the concordance to find us."

Quote:
I cooperate with Florence's tests. I keep anything metal away from the MRI machine.
"Wow, I didn't know you could get an MRI machine on rollers now."
"Yes, its amazing what you can get in a system with proper infrastructure. Made possible by clones."

Florence goes a bunch of tests on Julian's telekenetic strength, reach, and control. They get a bunch of capability results, but she's just as interested in what's going on in his brain while he does it, and frequently dictates completely incomprehensible notes to her phone. She is sometimes satisfied, sometimes mystified, sometimes disbelieving, and always intrigued.

*Jullian has TK 5

Quote:
I accept it. I discard the thought that she did something to it. I wouldn't be able to figure that out either.
Its very nice, and has a bunch of tutorial stuff to make it easier to use. Seven "makes it safe".

Quote:
I give Royal an update: "I heard something like a screamer but not a screamer just now... I'm going to ask the Starpus about this."

Then I go ask the Starpus about the scream, and if they heard it.
Big Digger: "No, we didn't hear anything."

Old 12-13-2023, 01:16 PM   #759
TGLS

Quote:
They try other human food. Florence suggests some meats, fish, and meat composits. Slam wants to throw anything that won't disintegrate in water into the tank. He volunteers to fish out anything they don't eat.

"They don't mind if I swim with them, do they? What about touching? I'll be careful. besides, they look like cute fellas."
I ask the Starpus: "You OK if a human gets in your tank?"

If they are, I'll get in too.

Quote:
Pleasant caller refuses to eat anything that everyone else hasn't already eaten. Hungry singer tries everything. Some of slam's stuff meets with marked disgust "You eat that?". You have some success with "VILD Chicken", some sort of meat patty grown from "methanotrophic cultures" involving electricity and methane for "100% guilt-free-meat: No animals and No ecosystems"
I examine it as we toss it into the tank. "This is fake chicken?"

Quote:
Royal "We can't have the concordance controlling our food source. That wouldn't solve the problem."
Florence: "It does give us another species we could figure out the life cycle for though: another chance to establish native food. And we have extra, right?"
Royal: "I wouldn't say extra, but we could try slaughtering one to see how they take it. If we're confident of success."
"If you can make meat from natural gas, if we know they like screamer meat, making meat like screamer meat could work too."

Quote:
Royal: "Its less dangerous than half the things you've done while here, and all the things you talk about in Riask. And probably less dangerous than waiting for the concordance to find us."
"I guess so. Landing on a planet would seem to have so much more jostling... Is there at least a chair with a seatbelt?"

Quote:
"Yes, its amazing what you can get in a system with proper infrastructure. Made possible by clones."
Julian briefly wonders how clones could help miniaturize MRI machines.
Quote:
Florence goes a bunch of tests on Julian's telekenetic strength, reach, and control. They get a bunch of capability results, but she's just as interested in what's going on in his brain while he does it, and frequently dictates completely incomprehensible notes to her phone. She is sometimes satisfied, sometimes mystified, sometimes disbelieving, and always intrigued.
When she's done, I ask: "So... Figure out how my brain works yet?"
Quote:
*Julian has TK 5
Noted.
Quote:
Its very nice, and has a bunch of tutorial stuff to make it easier to use. Seven "makes it safe".
I wonder how long it will be before future clippy begins to annoy Julian.
Quote:
Big Digger: "No, we didn't hear anything."
Well, that's a bust. Do I have any idea where the sound came from at all? Is it like the sound that I heard back in the hospital waiting room? If I've got no idea, I'll go check on the Screamers. Maybe one made a weird noise.
Old 12-14-2023, 10:04 AM   #760
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
I ask the Starpus: "You OK if a human gets in your tank?"
If they are, I'll get in too.
Pleasant caller objects. Hungry Singer is eager to touch a human. Big Digger (whom they seem to defer to on this) says anyone who comes in needs to be polite and not approach anyone else and move slowly and deliberately.

Quote:
I examine it as we toss it into the tank. "This is fake chicken?"
Seven: "Vild Chicken is its own thing. Its supposed to be imitating chicken, but I know people who think its much better than chicken."

Quote:
"If you can make meat from natural gas, if we know they like screamer meat, making meat like screamer meat could work too."
Seven: "That would take a whole lab of researchers to figure out.... The Starpus are probably worth it. So we have a long-term solution, at least in theory."

Quote:
"I guess so. Landing on a planet would seem to have so much more jostling... Is there at least a chair with a seatbelt?"
Royal: "Yeah, we'll strap you in properly."

Quote:
When she's done, I ask: "So... Figure out how my brain works yet?"
Royal: "I'm just getting started. I've confirmed <incomprehensible statement> and <another incomprehensible statement> and ruled out <incomprehensible statement> and <incomprehensible statements> aren't making sense. So we still have a lot of work to do. But its more information than I've been able to piece together in a year otherwise!"

Quote:
I wonder how long it will be before future clippy begins to annoy Julian.
Clippy was annoying because he tried to act like a person rather than a spell check.

Quote:
Well, that's a bust. Do I have any idea where the sound came from at all? Is it like the sound that I heard back in the hospital waiting room? If I've got no idea, I'll go check on the Screamers. Maybe one made a weird noise.
Julian doesn't know where the sound came from. He's about to go check the screamers when he hears the noise again. One of the hired help guards (they don't know exactly what it is they're guarding) is watching when he hears it.

Tags
lost in dreams