Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-04-2011, 04:31 PM   #1
Valergain

Default Stuff I need

I'm new to GURPS and I have a few questions. I plan to run a GRUPS space campaigne and was wondering if I need both basic sets, just one, or none.
Plus what kind of dice does this system use?
Valergain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:34 PM   #2
Witchking

Default Re: Stuff I need

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valergain View Post
I'm new to GURPS and I have a few questions. I plan to run a GRUPS space campaigne and was wondering if I need both basic sets, just one, or none.
I would say both parts of Basic and 3d6 are a minimum...

Space and some of the supplimentals (G:Traveller, Ultra Tech, etc) are probably also things you will want to look at
Old 05-04-2011, 04:35 PM   #3
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valergain View Post
I'm new to GURPS and I have a few questions. I plan to run a GURPS space campaign and was wondering if I need both basic sets, just one, or none.
Ignoring GURPS Lite for a moment ... Minimum would be Characters and Campaigns. You will probably want Ultratech, Space and the Spaceship series, so that your characters will have gear, so you can define the campaign parameters and so you have spaceship rules. :)

Quote:
3d6 for most checks, Xd6 for damage.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:35 PM   #4
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

The system uses six-sided dice only.

You probably want both Characters and Campaigns. Characters is "how to make PCs," and Campaigns is basically "how to run the game." Think of it as the Players Handbook and Dungeon Masters Guide respectively, if you're familiar with D&D at all. Characters does have some basic rules for combat and other stuff in the back that you could maybe squeak by on, but I wouldn't recommend trying it personally. Half the elegance of the system is in how smoothly it runs most genres using just the rules in Campaigns, so it'd be a shame to miss out, IMO.

I'd say hold off on Space, Ultratech, Biotech, or Spaceships until you get comfortable with the system and just add them as you decide you want more detail in certain areas. Otherwise you're looking at significant start-up costs for detail that you may not want or need.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:40 PM   #5
Witchking

Hee Hee!!! I WIN! Wow 3 answers in 4 mins...
Old 05-04-2011, 04:41 PM   #6
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchking View Post
Hee Hee!!! I WIN!
Only because my beloved wife was talking to me. And by mere seconds at that. :)
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:42 PM   #7
Witchking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
Only because my beloved wife was talking to me. And by mere seconds at that. :)
I salute your reason and wish you happyness...but there is the quick and the dead...and the cat I keep pushing off this keyboard...
Old 05-04-2011, 04:46 PM   #8
PPoS

Agreed, the only books you'll need in the beginning is the two in Basic Set (all others are optional). All other books you will buy will come naturally after some time, once your love and appreciation for the game starts to grow. Then: you are stuck forever.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:50 PM   #9
Witchking

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPoS View Post
Agreed, the only books you'll need in the beginning is the two in Basic Set (all others are optional). All other books you will buy will come naturally after some time, once your love and appreciation for the game starts to grow. Then: you are stuck forever.
I have gotten way more use out of my 20+ years of GURPS books than from my similar sized pile of Star Fleet Battles books....
Old 05-04-2011, 05:19 PM   #10
Stripe

What type of space game do you want to run? Hard science fiction, space opera, space western?

Sounds like you are entirely new to GURPS. Let me tell you, the learning curve is a mountain that can seem insurmountable at first.

As others have said, both books of the Basic Set -- Characters and Campaigns -- are needed to run a game properly.

Space, Ultra-Tech and the Spaceships series will all be helpful in running a GURPS space game by the book. But, you'll be swiftly overwhelmed if you get those with the Basic Set and try to learn all that at once before playing your game anytime this year.

Honestly, I'd bet my bottom dollar you would have much more fun and everything would go more smoothly if you just ran your game with the Basic Set and made up everything you couldn't find in those two books on the fly or during planning.
if I can't say 'I'm chaotic evil!'"? —Jeff Freeman
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rev. pee kitty