Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 09-10-2014, 11:52 AM   #1
pruckk

Default Bat Bat & Game win.

So I have a two part question here. First of all, is there any point where someone can contest anything at all during a Bat Bat... Bat kill? I figure because it says automatically, as soon as you state you use it, it's dead, and you were granted the level immediately. I do understand any card that cancels instants can be played here, but I just meant a normal instant card being played once that is announced is technically played after you gain the level and treasure, correct?

Then my second question is if that level is the winning level, can any cards be played against you at level 10? Say I used the BatBat to kill the only Bat that exists in our field, and I do gain a level, once I hit 10, is it game over immediately?

I ask because someone claimed they could use a card to search through the deck, then pick out a lose a level card, then make me lose a level once I was 10. They then said it happened directly after I stated I was going to auto-kill that bat, so it was during combat. However, I feel like that bat bat card specifically is designed to immediately kill when you use it. It isn't a combat faze.

Thank you for your time, if anything needs clarified just let me know. Also, if possible, can you find a place on the Munchkin official site that states it, or in the rulebooks? We searched high and low, assuming some sort of clarification had to exist somewhere. We have yet to find it.
pruckk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:16 PM   #2
Devin Lewis
Munchkin Associate Dev

Default Re: Bat Bat & Game win.

This relative question was answered quite succinctly just a few days ago:

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=128784
Old 09-10-2014, 12:42 PM   #3
pruckk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Lewis View Post
This relative question was answered quite succinctly just a few days ago:

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=128784
Thanks! That does answer part one. I now understand that I did beat the monster immediately, and any card played after would be after I gained the "winning level".

So what about being able to play a card once a player reaches the winning level? I have always assumed that like all games, once you "win", it is game over. However, is it that sort of end of the game win as soon as you hit level 10, or at the end of your turn, after you'd technically draw treasures?
Old 09-10-2014, 12:49 PM   #4
Devin Lewis
Munchkin Associate Dev

That's not what it says at all. The monster is killed, but combat is not over yet. You must give the other players a reasonable amount of time to play cards like Wandering Monster to keep the fight going. If you are subsequently forced to run away, you don't get any levels or treasures.

Also, players can still play curses on you during combat, so if there is a card played that makes you lose a level, then it can prevent you from winning.

If however, the combat ends and you are successful, then you win.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:55 PM   #5
pruckk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Lewis View Post
That's not what it says at all. The monster is killed, but combat is not over yet. You must give the other players a reasonable amount of time to play cards like Wandering Monster to keep the fight going. If you are subsequently forced to run away, you don't get any levels or treasures.

Also, players can still play curses on you during combat, so if there is a card played that makes you lose a level, then it can prevent you from winning.

If however, the combat ends and you are successful, then you win.
Can you cite that from somewhere? The last one I was able to google the quote found in the posted link to find the official muchkin FAQ. I feel like what you just said is opinion considering a lack of quote.

I'll attempt to explain a bit more, though.
I do understand that it explicitly states you may extend that combat by playing a wandering monster. However, as far as I know, when all monsters are defeated, combat is over. Any instants played after an instant kill is just that, played after. As per the FAQ on Munchkin's site that you linked. So if it'd be after the creature was dead, why would I still be in combat? If combat had ended, why wouldn't I be level 10 already?

Last edited by pruckk; 09-10-2014 at 05:05 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:17 PM   #6
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Devin is my employee and is capable of giving official answers, which he just did.

Unless the way you insta-kill a monster says that combat ends, then the other players still have a "reasonable time" to screw with you by playing "lose a level" Curses, using a Wandering Monster to add a new monster to fight, or so on. You don't get the level and Treasures for killing a monster until that reasonable time has expired.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bat bat, instant, win, winning, winning level