Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 01:41 PM   #21
tbeard1999

Default Re: Metric? Keep or change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
That's almost certainly untrue; we may not be a metric country, but that doesn't mean most people aren't still taught the metric system or have learned it for other reasons (such as other RPGs, including the previous edition, that used metric), and of course international players will be unfamiliar with US customary units.
If we assume that most TFT players are American - a reasonable assumption - then I think it's reasonable to assume that they are FAR more familiar with US customary units. Yes, I know that's slightly different than what I originally said, but I was speaking (metaphorically) informally. Consider my statement amended.

Most people in the US at least know about how long a yard is. Even if they know a meter is about 3" longer, there's no point in forcing them to think about the conversion. The same is true of kilograms. We know about how much a pound is; there's no point in making us subconsciously divide kilograms by 2.2.

In any case, there's no more reason to use the metric system in TFT than there was to use it in GURPS.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:46 PM   #22
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard1999 View Post
In any case, there's no more reason to use the metric system in TFT than there was to use it in GURPS.
There's no need to use either system. There's just no particular reason to change.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:48 PM   #23
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Most Americans are familiar enough with metric that one meter hexes will not confuse them (it's sorta similar to a yard, right?), and unfamiliar enough with the actual weight of armor and weapons that it doesn't really matter if kilograms are confusing.
Like you or someone else said, they're close enough to work as rounding errors. But if they're close enough one way, then they're close enough the other way. So no one should be getting their pants in a twist, right?
I suppose similar could be said for kilograms being close to twice the size of pounds.
That still leaves the question of why use modern units for fantasy settings. Even if "everyone" can make do with either.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:00 PM   #24
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
That still leaves the question of why use modern units for fantasy settings.
US customary units are modern too. Might as well use a Roman pace (about 5').
Old 02-21-2018, 02:23 PM   #25
tbeard1999

Quote:
Like you or someone else said, they're close enough to work as rounding errors. But if they're close enough one way, then they're close enough the other way. So no one should be getting their pants in a twist, right?
I suppose similar could be said for kilograms being close to twice the size of pounds.
That still leaves the question of why use modern units for fantasy settings. Even if "everyone" can make do with either.
Well, you have to have measures for weight and distance. There's no good reason that I can think of not to use the most commonly used (by your audience) system.

And there's particularly no good reason to use a wholly artificial system.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:26 PM   #26
Anthony

Quote:
And there's particularly no good reason to use a wholly artificial system.
A game using Planck units would be a big hassle.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:31 PM   #27
tbeard1999

Quote:
There's no need to use either system. There's just no particular reason to change.
I disagree, for the reasons I stated above. I think it's almost self-evident that the system that is most familiar to the majority of players should be used.

I follow this in my own game design - a 20/21st century miniature wargame. A Fistful of TOWs uses both metric and English, because each is the more familiar to most players in different contexts. Military distances are commonly expressed in meters (even by the US military). So the game scale is 1 inch equals 100 meters. Inches are easier to use by Americans (and none of my European players have demanded centimeters) because they are more familiar and require smaller numbers. It's just a little quicker to divide 10 inches by 2 (to determine close range) or multiply by 1.5 (to determine long range) than it is to divide/multiply 25.4 centimeters. And with hundreds of such measurements in a good sized game, I think it's worth avoiding the accumulated hassle.

Many UK wargames use inches, despite the UK being nominally committed to the metric system, I suspect for the same reason.

Last edited by tbeard1999; 02-21-2018 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:35 PM   #28
tbeard1999

Quote:
Why would you force a majority of players to divide weight by 2.2 or even 2? What possible advantage is gained? Why use a measurement that is "close to a yard" rather than just using yards?

Other than some quixotic desire to impose the metric system on a culture that has largely rejected it (outside certain scientific areas), I just can't see why you'd insist on keeping the metric system. And imposing something on your customers - for their own good of course - doesn't really make a lot of business sense to me.

I think it's safe to say that most of the TFT faithful play TFT for reasons other than its use of the metric system.

Last edited by tbeard1999; 02-21-2018 at 02:38 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:43 PM   #29
Anthony

Quote:
Military distances are commonly expressed in meters (even by the US military). So the game scale is 1 inch equals 100 meters. Inches are easier to use by Americans (and none of my European players have demanded centimeters) because they are more familiar and require smaller numbers. It's just a little quicker to divide 10 inches by 2 (to determine close range) or multiply by 1.5 (to determine long range) than it is to divide/multiply 25.4 centimeters. And with hundreds of such measurements in a good sized game, I think it's worth avoiding the accumulated hassle.
That's just being willfully inept at unit conversion. Unless for some reason you have 1:3937 scale miniatures, just use different scales depending on the rulers people are using (so a weapon with a range of 1,000 meters is treated as range 10 inches or 25 centimeters). As long as people aren't using two different rulers at one table, it doesn't matter.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:51 PM   #30
larsdangly

1 inch equals 100 meters...I just don't even know where to start.
Closed Thread