Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-30-2012, 12:52 AM   #1
jabarto

Default Falchions: is there a point in using them?

There's something I've been wondering off and on for a while now, in regards the falchions in Low Tech and the falchion variant in Low Tech Companion 2. Simply put, I'm unclear on what exactly they're suppose to be good at, particularly the large variant.

"Falchionizing" a broadsword significantly increases its weight, cost, unbalances it, and lowers its thrusting damage, all for a mere +1 to swing damage. If, instead of going with that, you put a top spike onto an axe, you get a weapon that performs better in both respects for about 1/8 of the price. What's more, falchions are a dubious choice even when compared to other swords because of the unbalanced parry; to overcome that, you would need to either make thrusting attacks (in which case a regular sword would be better), or defensive attacks (in which case a regular sword would still be better).

Smaller falchions aren't unbalanced, but their cost increase means that come perilously close to losing their price advantage over larger swords (the only reason I can see for choosing a small falchion over a thrusting broadsword is if you're direly strapped for cash and really need the extra damage over a regular shortsword).

Now, I'm guessing there's some realistic/historical/etc. reason for this, but I do have to wonder why time was even taken to stat them if there's no obvious reason to want one. Or is there something I'm missing?
jabarto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:31 AM   #2
ErhnamDJ

Default Re: Falchions: is there a point in using them?

They're nice if you have a high sword skill and need more damage. Maybe if you also use a shield.

The real problem is how little, as a percentage of total damage, the damage from the weapon is. Presumably they would be much more worthwhile if the St-based damage wasn't so out of whack and if the damage rolls didn't have so much variability. But they're never going to be so hot against people in armor. Not compared to a mace, anyway. It's a niche weapon for if you happen to have a high sword skill and are fighting unarmored foes.
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:07 AM   #3
Dustin

Many characters are optimized for that swing attack, and the +1 is very meaningful - unless you're using Edge Protection rules, a big cutting attack with swing damage is the ultimate can opener in GURPS. Cost-wise, the axe is cheaper, but has less self DR, the top spike design requires advanced rules, and the cost difference closes up between axes and swords for fine and very fine weapons. The parry disadvantage is usually compensated for by using a nice medium or large shield instead. Basically, as ErhnamDJ says, it's for sword users who are built such that the lack of parries & thrusts just isn't a major concern. The added weight can be an advantage for weapon breakage as well.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:35 AM   #4
Flyndaran
Untagged

Use as a tool too. The machete is good for hacking jungle out of the way as well as hacking limbs off.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:14 AM   #5
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Use as a tool too. The machete is good for hacking jungle out of the way as well as hacking limbs off.
Agreed. As tools, durability can be as important as sharpness, so the extra mass is actual a boon for a machete.

Partly though, I think this comes down to the granularity of GURPS. While both Falchions and Axes are Unbalanced weapons, realistically an Axe is likely more "unbalanced". Also, realistically the Edge Protection rules should be harsher to swords than axes (ie, slicing versus chopping) with Falchions occupying a middle ground between them. In short, the Falchion is an edge case that loses out because GURPS doesn't sufficiently distinguish between weapons with similar overall performance, but quite different usage.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:33 AM   #6
Refplace

Besides the reasons listed above its there for completenes. Real world weapon that saw use by certain cultures so needs to be in there.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:06 AM   #7
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabarto View Post
Now, I'm guessing there's some realistic/historical/etc. reason for this, but I do have to wonder why time was even taken to stat them if there's no obvious reason to want one. Or is there something I'm missing?
In Sagatafl, a falchion is simply a cross between a sword and a machete. It has some combat utility but is less "swingy" than a proper sword, and can also function as a poor machete for when you need to hack through vines and undergrowth. So, when a character wants to travel through jungle or dense woods, his strategic movement speed is unpenalized if he has a machete, or only midlly penalized if he has a falchion.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:28 AM   #8
Flyndaran
Untagged

A machete is a short sword falchion.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:08 AM   #9
Mr Frost

It's a good way to get a cheap short sword without losing cutting damage or durability .
Old 06-30-2012, 08:30 AM   #10
Lord Carnifex

Falchions also permit characters to transfer Broadsword skill onto a weapon optimized for cutting. A character (the literary version of Conan comes to mind) might be very strong and want to be able to emphasize that strength with a weapon built to maximize swing damage, but already be good at Broadsword and not want to invest the points in bringing up Axe/Mace. Switching to a falchion is something of a compromise.

"To an Irishman, a serious matter is a joke, and a joke is a serious matter."
Lord Carnifex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
low-tech companion 2, sword, swords