Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-24-2012, 11:34 PM   #31
Daeglan

Default Re: [MA] Draw Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunadin777 View Post
It seems to me that a draw cut is necessarily more shallow than a good regular swing cut. So I'd think that such a maneuver should have a damage cap that it can only cause (maximum normal damage)-2 or something. You can keep the damage bonus, but this would simulate that the draw cut causes more injury on average, but has less potential at the same time.

Not so. A proper draw cut is what a samurai uses to be able to cut a man from shoulder to hip. A normal swing cut can't do that.

I suspect that GURPS would not really have the granularity to model it though. IE trying to model it is over thinking.
Daeglan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:16 AM   #32
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Again as I recall both this re=-eneactment and the Highlander move it struck me as resembling are done as a close range cut with the blade being driven with hip and torso movement in the follow-through.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daeglan View Post
Not so. A proper draw cut is what a samurai uses to be able to cut a man from shoulder to hip. A normal swing cut can't do that.
The above quotes seem to be making the case for Swing damage again.

I'm also reminded of the Slashing damage vs. Chopping damage house rule that I read on the forums years ago.

Last edited by aesir23; 03-25-2012 at 08:34 AM.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:34 AM   #33
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunadin777 View Post
Which is fine, I just think that a lot of the aesthetic you're looking for is limited to representing fencing-type weapons. If you're going to fine-tune the technique to represent that, I suggest simply making it a fencing technique and having a separate write-up for rigid-bladed weapons. Otherwise, a few tweaks can make it more universal.
I think the difference between fencing and non-fencing weapons is smaller than you think. Fencing weapons designed for earnest combat are rigid, for example.

But now that I think about it more, the weight of the weapon wouldn't effect damage with this technique as much as with chopping blows. So it might make sense to give it a flat damage rate (Thrust +2 Cutting) for instance, instead of basing it on the weapons statistics. This would also make it more desireable with the weapons which, historically, were used in draw cuts (knives and fencing weapons) because their existing cutting attacks aren't very damaging.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:27 AM   #34
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
But now that I think about it more, the weight of the weapon wouldn't effect damage with this technique as much as with chopping blows. So it might make sense to give it a flat damage rate (Thrust +2 Cutting) for instance, instead of basing it on the weapons statistics. This would also make it more desireable with the weapons which, historically, were used in draw cuts (knives and fencing weapons) because their existing cutting attacks aren't very damaging.
Yeah, that makes sense. The only modifications to that would be things like Fine quality blades and All-Out Attack.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:47 PM   #35
Bruno

I'd note an armor divisor of 0.5 - it's really not suppost to be good against armor.

Unless you already ahve that in there and I just can't read it. I'm a little brain fried.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:04 PM   #36
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I'd note an armor divisor of 0.5 - it's really not suppost to be good against armor.

Unless you already ahve that in there and I just can't read it. I'm a little brain fried.
Already in there :) As well as a note that it doesn't do Blunt Trauma and is worthless if using Edge Protection.

Tags
combat rules, sword, swords