Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-06-2011, 08:24 AM   #1
Carlos

Default One-handed or Two-handed sword, that is the question

Greetings.

I'm gonna make a new character (again) and I'm facing a powerful dilemma. What is the best option: To use a one-handed sword or a two-handed sword?

By "best option", I guess I mean "the coolest option".

It's undeniable that a shield is of great help in low-tech/dungeon fantasy games. To block rains of arrows, fire balls (or other projectile spells) or dragon's fire breath is all that good.

And things get worse when you're a Mystic Knight, since defensive imbuements used with shields come to play. After all, it seems to me to be a waste of potential to not explore the best that mystic knight's imbuements have to offer, a combination of ofensive, defensive (with both armor and shield) and ranged imbues.

With such considerations, it seems pretty obvious that to use a sword and shield is the best choice. However, for all my RPG life before GURPS I always played with warriors using big swords which, IMHO, completely fulfill the "heavy fighter" archetype. And I strongly believe that Mystic Knights shares such trait with Knights.

And I get even more inspired when I look to this, this, this and this. All these images only reforces my old idea that to swing a great two-handed sword is just cooler than to use a sword and shield.

But somehow I still want to use a shield.

Fortunately, Mystics Knights have the upper hand here. They can use shields - even larger - while handling two-handed weapons thanks to Dancing Shield imbue. Unfortunately, once the shield is flying, you can't use any of those cool shield imbues like Energizing Defense and Widen Shield.

Since I'm not considering to play with a 4 arms Mystic Knight, I was thinking about the possibility to use a small shield strapped to the arm (something like Shiryu's small shield) while using a two-handed sword. According to GURPS Low-Tech rules, that's doable and gives a -2 penalty to weapon and shield skills.

However, it raises some questions:

1) The book says that the -2 penalty applies to weapon and shield skills, but that penalty would also apply for imbue skills used with the shield and sword?

2) That -2 penalty could be somehow removed? Perhaps with a perk or even a technique.

What do you think?

---

Ps.: While this thread involves imbuement rules and Dungeon Fantasy games, the main question here fits perfectly any low-tech game.
Carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:43 AM   #2
Bruno

Default Re: One-handed or Two-handed sword, that is the question

If it helps for providing mechanical benefits to back up the "coolness" value of the two-handed swords, Martial-Arts suggests two-handed swords should get a reduced "repeat parry penalty" along with polearms et al - so -2/-4/-6/-8 not -4/-8/-12/-16.

Shield imbuements are awesome, but they're also yet more skills to learn. Consider sinking the points for shield skill and shield imbuements into armor imbuements instead, or money/wealth for heavier armor.

That said, shields are awesome.

I would rule, for my game, that if the Imbuements are DX based (As is the default for Mystic Knights) that the -2 definitely applies.

I might be induced to allow a technique for each skill to buy off the penalty as a power-up.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:57 AM   #3
Carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
If it helps for providing mechanical benefits to back up the "coolness" value of the two-handed swords, Martial-Arts suggests two-handed swords should get a reduced "repeat parry penalty" along with polearms et al - so -2/-4/-6/-8 not -4/-8/-12/-16.
Yes, I'm aware of that rule. Thanks anyway. ;)

Quote:
Shield imbuements are awesome, but they're also yet more skills to learn. Consider sinking the points for shield skill and shield imbuements into armor imbuements instead, or money/wealth for heavier armor.

That said, shields are awesome.
I think that the cost factor is not a great problem because Mystic Knights are all about imbuements. Eldritch talent gives an amazing bonus to all imbuement skills, so even with a 1 point you still can have nice score.

Quote:
I would rule, for my game, that if the Imbuements are DX based (As is the default for Mystic Knights) that the -2 definitely applies.

I might be induced to allow a technique for each skill to buy off the penalty as a power-up.
The problem is that the rule does not states that penalty to DX, but to melee and shield skills. On the other hand, that low-tech rule probably wasn't considering imbuement skills, so that's why I'm not sure.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:31 AM   #4
Gnomasz

I'd say that two-handed swords are much cooler, but no arguments here - it's a matter of personal preferences.

But i see a solution to your problem. It uses Extra Arm advantage, but it doesn't make you a 4-handed monster. It's in the FAQ (third question).
I'd add to this build No Signature (so the arm is not visible), +20%, and Requires Dancing Shield Roll, -10% - for a total of -20%, or [8] for Can Imbue Dancing Shield advantage (you actually wield the shield, so you can imbue it; it should have -5% costs FP, too, but I hate limitations, that don't give a discount). And I would carry a shield in it normally, not parry with it - as an advantage, it shouldn't be a subject of imbuement.
Gnomasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:00 AM   #5
Anders

What about the crazy neck strap that Low-Tech and LTC2 taught us to love? You get -3 to Block defense but DB still applies.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:32 AM   #6
Carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomasz View Post
I'd say that two-handed swords are much cooler, but no arguments here - it's a matter of personal preferences.

But i see a solution to your problem. It uses Extra Arm advantage, but it doesn't make you a 4-handed monster. It's in the FAQ (third question).
I'd add to this build No Signature (so the arm is not visible), +20%, and Requires Dancing Shield Roll, -10% - for a total of -20%, or [8] for Can Imbue Dancing Shield advantage (you actually wield the shield, so you can imbue it; it should have -5% costs FP, too, but I hate limitations, that don't give a discount). And I would carry a shield in it normally, not parry with it - as an advantage, it shouldn't be a subject of imbuement.
Hmmmmmm.... It seems to be too odd to the GM allow it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
What about the crazy neck strap that Low-Tech and LTC2 taught us to love? You get -3 to Block defense but DB still applies.
Well, I didn't learned that lesson.

Despite being realistic, controlling a shield with the neck seems to be very weird and aesthetically horrible (therefore, it doesn't look cool) in a dungeon fantasy game.

It seems I have no choice but give up the shield or the two-handed weapon idea.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:09 PM   #7
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
It seems I have no choice but give up the shield or the two-handed weapon idea.
Technically, I always imagine it as the shield hangs from the neck, BUT rests on the elbow and upper arm. Thus, it is controlled partly by the neck, party by the torso, and partly by the elbow and upper arm. Of course, I'm no hoplologist, and it it might be used in a different manner, but that's what I get from the description.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:15 PM   #8
Anders

I think they showed it in Alexander.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:43 PM   #9
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Also, Shield Imbuements are really awesome. Dismiss them at your own risk!
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:45 PM   #10
Figleaf23
Banned

Be strong enough to wield a 2-hand sword 1-handed, and carry a shield on your back for those times you are dishonourably attacked from a distance.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
one-handed two-handed, sword, swords, two-handed swords