Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-23-2010, 09:08 AM   #11
Michele

Default Re: Difference between Greatsword/Thrusting Greatsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
If the Gurps "normal" broadswords etc. even existed at all they were very rare historically compared to the Thrusting models.

Some swords are virtually unable to Thrust and some are more or less pointed than others but actually blunt-tipped? I haven't seen it.
I'm not really qualified, but these come to my mind:

- the macuahuitl,
- the khanda.

I think some others might also be included, but maybe they are covered by your definition of "virtually unable to thrust".

OK, I know the macuahuitl could be considered "not a sword". Functionally, however, it is a one-handed, sword-length weapon that cuts quite well but is blunt-tipped.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:21 AM   #12
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
I'm not really qualified, but these come to my mind:

- the macuahuitl,
- the khanda.

I think some others might also be included, but maybe they are covered by your definition of "virtually unable to thrust".

OK, I know the macuahuitl could be considered "not a sword". Functionally, however, it is a one-handed, sword-length weapon that cuts quite well but is blunt-tipped.
It was one-handed? I thought they were great big two-handed dealies.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:45 AM   #13
Michele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk View Post
It was one-handed? I thought they were great big two-handed dealies.
I confess I had to look it up... it seems they came in both varieties. That makes sense, I guess, just like there were two-handed long metal blades.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:49 AM   #14
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
I confess I had to look it up... it seems they came in both varieties. That makes sense, I guess, just like there were two-handed long metal blades.
Looks like they had both, with the one-handed version being more common.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:54 AM   #15
Jerron

A Roman Gladius, I believe, would be considered a blunt broadsword. There are plenty examples here of pointy ones.

The point being, the sword is usually a cheaper thing if it's used just for hacking, and a better sword, with decent metal alloy, would be the ones saved for posterity. So we don't see as many of the cheaper sort even in fiction, but axe-style swordsmanship is what is required when you don't have a pointy end (as opposed to being an option :P ).
Jerron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:25 AM   #16
Michele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerron View Post
A Roman Gladius, I believe, would be considered a blunt broadsword.
Now really? I would have said it was a shortsword, and with a thrusting tip. You sure?
Old 09-23-2010, 10:26 AM   #17
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerron View Post
A Roman Gladius, I believe, would be considered a blunt broadsword. There are plenty examples here of pointy ones.
Wrong twice. A Gladius is practically the archetype of the Gurps Shortsword. Pointy too.

The argument about commonly used swords not being preserved for posterity is unlikely as well. A surprising number of medieval swords are still around today because they fell into Northern European bodies of water with muddy bottoms and were preserved in the cold, anaerobic mud.

It would be exactly the most common types of swords that were preserved this way and we don't see blunt tips among them.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:30 AM   #18
safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boberama View Post
What's the difference between these?
Look here:
http://www.vikingsword.com/virtmus.html

Some swords simply had a "butter knife" sort of end, like the one at the top. That is not a very useful stabbing instrument. I don't expect that these were common, in the whole schema of swordom, but they certainly did exist. On down the page you can see the more aggressively-pointed swords, which I expect were more common, generically speaking.

This does not mean, though, that one could not stab and cause great damage with a butterknife (I suspect such a blow would rip and rend flesh and cause bleeding) but simply that an ice pick or dagger would punch much deeper, possibly deep enough to reach vital organs and puncture them. Thus your crush versus impale effect.
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:43 AM   #19
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by safisher View Post
Look here:
http://www.vikingsword.com/virtmus.html

Some swords simply had a "butter knife" sort of end, like the one at the top. That is not a very useful stabbing instrument. I don't expect that these were common, in the whole schema of swordom, but they certainly did exist. On down the page you can see the more aggressively-pointed swords, which I expect were more common, generically speaking.

This does not mean, though, that one could not stab and cause great damage with a butterknife (I suspect such a blow would rip and rend flesh and cause bleeding) but simply that an ice pick or dagger would punch much deeper, possibly deep enough to reach vital organs and puncture them. Thus your crush versus impale effect.
That's not the difference between Impaling and Crushing though. Look at Martial Arts p.224 and Scissors still Thrust like a Knife (and thus do Imp damage). They're just at -1 damage.

A really detail oriented GM could give historical swords more or less damage but changing damage type is too extreme.

The "normal" Gurps Broadsword does _exactly_ the same Thr/Cr damage as a Bokken and I have never seen a metal sword that blunt-tipped.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:04 PM   #20
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
That's not the difference between Impaling and Crushing though. Look at Martial Arts p.224 and Scissors still Thrust like a Knife (and thus do Imp damage). They're just at -1 damage.
All the scissors I have are very sharp at the end.

Some like this:
http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sp...9/scissors.jpg

Some sturdier (kitchen shears).

Many pairs of scissors come to a distinct point that always makes me NERVOUS when carrying them. They also look like a brilliant way to stab someone to death.

Some have clipped points, and some are downright rounded, both for saftey. Especially plastic "safty scissors" for children although the number of times I cut the webbing on my fingers as a child tells me that they're "safe" in the sense of "not murderous" as opposed to "no blood drawn at all".

But most scissors have some kind of sharp point to get into small areas, or for fine precision work.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sword, swords, weapons