Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-24-2016, 10:59 AM   #1
Techpriest Vesper

Default GURPS Shadowrun

So it looks like I might be GM Shadowrun in the very near future... and while I loved the setting AND the system back in the 90's I am not a big fan of die-pools anymore.

SO I asked the group "Hey what about GURPS" and they were at least interested enough to give it a go. So I started putting some stuff together (also I base most of this on Action 1 & 2, Monster Hunters and Dungeon Fantasy ideas). NOTE that this is not a total conversion of Shadowrun to GURPS, nor am I great at tinkering things to be purely 100% by-the-book with GURPS... and I am terrible at grammar and spelling.

But anyway, I put out the basics here on my GOOGLE Doc's site. Any feedback would be cool but again I am not as concerned that everything be 100% legally correct GURPS as I am that it be "cool" :)

Mostly "What am I missing" or "What could I have done better" that kind of stuff...

Thanks in advance (and note it is long)
Techpriest Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:10 AM   #2
GodBeastX

Default Re: GURPS Shadowrun

Not sure what you're asking. I looked at things (Not in 100% depth).

Some issues:

Some of the weapon stats don't seem to match what you'd expect from SR. Like the Ares Predator has 15 round clip off the top of my head, but it has 9 in your tables. Though the fact you went through all the items to do that is awesome.

A few advantages/disadvantages are odd. Like seeing "SINner" as a disadvantage instead of SINless being an advantage (Zeroed).

Not an issue:

And just cuz this is how I like to Roll Shadowrun myself, I would charge cash for cybernetics and not char points =) It gives a bit more incentive for people to take them over just buying stats and gives people something to do with cash.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:21 AM   #3
Phantasm

Pyramid #3-21 would be of tremendous help for anyone playing a decker archetype, IMO, particularly with the "Console Cowboys" article which gives details on netrunning and other forms of cyber-hacking. This way you don't have to run the decker's stuff in the Matrix separate from the rest of the run....

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 01:17 PM   #4
Techpriest Vesper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBeastX View Post
Not sure what you're asking. I looked at things (Not in 100% depth).

Some issues:

Some of the weapon stats don't seem to match what you'd expect from SR. Like the Ares Predator has 15 round clip off the top of my head, but it has 9 in your tables. Though the fact you went through all the items to do that is awesome.
Yea I might have to look at that again as I kind of based those off Ultra-Tech stats instead of shadowrun which is what I was more going for
Old 08-24-2016, 01:18 PM   #5
Techpriest Vesper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Pyramid #3-21 would be of tremendous help for anyone playing a decker archetype, IMO, particularly with the "Console Cowboys" article which gives details on netrunning and other forms of cyber-hacking. This way you don't have to run the decker's stuff in the Matrix separate from the rest of the run....
Yea I have that issue and that is how I am doing Deckers :) I think I make mention in the Matrix part about where to purchase a Cyberdeck and programs :)
Old 08-24-2016, 05:40 PM   #6
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
A few advantages/disadvantages are odd. Like seeing "SINner" as a disadvantage instead of SINless being an advantage (Zeroed).
That fits the Shadowrun concept where all PCs are automatically presumed to be SINless, it's a disad to be SINned.

In this case, all PCs would be treated as having Zeroed as part of the campaign setup, and anyone who wants to be a SINner then takes the disad. It's how I'd handle it as well.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:13 PM   #7
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techpriest Vesper View Post
Yea I have that issue and that is how I am doing Deckers :) I think I make mention in the Matrix part about where to purchase a Cyberdeck and programs :)
Ah, but do you have Pyramid 3-55 where Hans Christian Vortisch has a definitive article updating Tactical Shooting for early TL9? He also gives the definitive treatment to the Russian Hind helicopter in 3-57 and I would find it very useful as a n example vehicle (once updated) for one of those Maegacorp gunships.

Another Pyramid you probably really want is 3-51 for expanded bionics and cybernetics.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:43 PM   #8
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
That fits the Shadowrun concept where all PCs are automatically presumed to be SINless, it's a disad to be SINned.

In this case, all PCs would be treated as having Zeroed as part of the campaign setup, and anyone who wants to be a SINner then takes the disad. It's how I'd handle it as well.
It does come with the hassle of legal "non-existence" which in most settings is just a hassle. But in Shadowrun it easily leads to authorities committing gross human rights violations without guilt.
I'd combine Zeroed with Social Stigma: Outcast, or something to that effect, evening things out.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:55 PM   #9
Greg 1

Quote:

Not an issue:

And just cuz this is how I like to Roll Shadowrun myself, I would charge cash for cybernetics and not char points =) It gives a bit more incentive for people to take them over just buying stats and gives people something to do with cash.
This has worked very well for me in "cyberpunk" games. It keeps the players greedy for money.
Greg 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:32 PM   #10
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg 1 View Post
This has worked very well for me in "cyberpunk" games. It keeps the players greedy for money.
How do you do that without effectively handicapping pure flesh characters?