Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-02-2016, 06:30 PM   #11
Þorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Default Re: Your favorite Dungeon Fantasy moments?

It wasn't DF as such, we used elements from DF. But the characters had backgrounds and names and complicated things like that. And we used Forgotten Realms as a setting.

Anyway, there was this Wizard, a Cleric, and some sort of light fighter with a spear. There were possibly other PCs, I don't recall. We encountered a number of Orcs in a cave or a big chamber. We fought them and in a relatively short time we'd killed all of them except for one. It was like that Inverse Ninja Strength thing or the Conservation of Ninjitsu just for Orcs.

That one wouldn't die, we just couldn't hit the bastard, and if we hit we rolled lousy damage so that DR stopped it. The fighter had hared off to do something and the cleric and wizard were fighting backs against a wall, side by side in a desperate fight against that one damned Orc. Finally after a lengthy fight either the cleric or wizard got a lucky blow in and that was that.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Þorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:23 PM   #12
dripton

Unfortunately, I haven't kept a game log of either of the DF campaigns I've been involved in.

But one that comes to mind was casting Reverse Missiles and Resist Fire on the tank Knight, setting him on fire, and sending him charging into a giant swarm of goblins with bows (and a few with ballistas). What a mess.
dripton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:29 PM   #13
Christopher R. Rice

I was running a game at a con and one of the drop in players decided to play the necromancer pre-gen. I never really thought anyone was going to play it and it was just sort of there. Anyways, he's playing this character and he summons a skeleton like necromancers do. Over the next four hours the skeleton continuously crits on...everything. (I roll dice in the open.) So they start equipping it. "We give him the magic shortsword. Oh! And the helmet!" They name it "Larry" and it becomes the instant star of the game and kind of the RPG con room. I had around 20-30 people standing around watching the other ten players playing. Larry even got hit with like, a dragon breath weapon and just walked it off. It was nuts. The barbarian half-ogre even fast-ball specialized it at a group of hobgoblins where it defaulted a Whirlwind Attack and hit on all attacks and crited on FOUR of them. The players decked Larry out in the best armor and gear spending almost the entire haul from the first part of the adventure on getting him stuff. Then those with powers would buff the crap out of him and send him to fight. The "mid-con" level-up saw the necromancer spending all his earned points on buying him as an ally and increasing him to 150% of his point total. It was pretty amazing. The players then joked that they were just the henchman of Larry who was some sort of undead knight doing what he did in life.

T_T That skeleton was the bane of monsters everywhere and so awesome. I blogged about it here.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!

Last edited by Christopher R. Rice; 09-03-2016 at 03:35 AM.
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 01:54 AM   #14
(E)

Another skeletal themed DF moment.
The players had just had a messy fight and only two PCs where left standing. The other side was down to just their tank a giant skeletal centipede centaur. The mage in desperation jumps on to a bench swings on to the skeletons back runs along its back and half climbs it's torso and lines up too cast an overpower disintegrate at a crucial vertebra.

Huge string of critical successes when the mage does the full action hero run then he draws back to cast and. . . . critical failure. He forgets the spell. . . .
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 06:04 AM   #15
Bruno

It's been a running joke in our group since our pre-DF but pretty much DF game that Stop Bleeding always critically fails, and the critical failure result if the subject is an NPC is always "The patient finishes bleeding" in a gory shower of blood which always gets on the wizard/cleric.

We've had it succeed once, and I think we had a normal failure once, but we've had I think three or four critical failures to go with.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 08:59 AM   #16
Gold & Appel Inc

From the first session of my first-ever GURPS DF game (GMd by zino@Here):

OTHER PLAYER'S THIEF PC: [whispering] "I think I hear about ten or twelve guards on the other side of this door, guys. We should sneak by and see if we can-

MY CLERIC PC, WHO HAD NOT PREVIOUSLY DEMONSTRATED THAT HE HAD THE INCOMPETENCE (STEALTH) [-1] QUIRK FOR COMIC RELIEF: [fires up his helmet lamp, straightens his road-flag orange vestments, readies his silver-plated mace and mirrored shield, and shouts] Great plan! Let's do this!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also, pretty much everything that has ever happened in my Leprechaun game. We were all laughing pretty much constantly because of the incredibly bad fake Irish brogues. There was the time they got into a bar fight in the tavern in a pixie town after the 2'-foot tall Swashbuckler (played by tshiggins@Here) tried to seduce the local (6"-tall) tough guy's sister and one of the pixies scored a critical hit with a punch to the face that achieved a Stun+Knockdown.

Again from the Swashbuckler, the time he rolled a critical success on a stab to a full-sized human's *ahem* man parts, then threw 1 point of damage, and then got a knockout result on the crit table. He gave the guy a bad paper cut in just the right spot, apparently. And my personal favorite, the time the party faced three unnamed challenges to find out the vital clue, he went in expecting a fight, got hit with a drinking contest instead, and ended up proving that he had the lowest tolerance for alcohol in the group. He RPd being three sheets to the wind admirably for the rest of the session, stumbling into things despite having DX 18, slurring out a spontaneous rendition of, "My Bonnie Irish Rose," apropos of nothing, etc.

The Barbarian (a gigantic 3'-tall leprechaun from the uncivilized hill tribes, played by Dublindog@Here) got to have Arrow-Proof Nudity in exchange for a Can't Wear Armor Limitation on his 1 point of Tough Skin DR, which didn't always work out so well for him but inspired his habit of whipping off his kilt in the middle of fights to use it with the Cloak skill (not to mention sheer Intimidation and endless jokes about the emerald green carpet matching the drapes). During the three mystery challenges sequence, he chose the toughest-looking opponent expecting a fight, and ended up in a contest of skipping rocks on a pond.

The Innkeeper (CousinX@Here) was also consistently funny, doing the worst fake brogue of all. He chose the banshee (Monstrous Appearance) during the three challenges sequence because they had no idea what to expect and he was the most versatile with his Wild Talent. He had to successfully blarney it without fleeing until it relented in using Terror (Hearing) on him, and RPd cringing through some cringe-worthy pick-up lines until he achieved enough cumulative successes on Sex Appeal (which he didn't have). He later acquired a barking mad fairy admirer called The Dancer who followed him around for a while, but he had to dance with her and make his roll (you guessed it: He didn't have the Dancing skill) every session to keep her interested. The Dancer (GMd by yours truly) would bust out a different style every time, but it was always completely anachronistic, like the time they found her off by herself doing Gothic I Lost My Contract / Calling the Butterflies moves, the time she made him do the Lindy Hop with her, or the time she just backed up and twerked on him.

Good times, good times.

Last edited by Gold & Appel Inc; 09-03-2016 at 09:46 AM.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:17 AM   #17
Pseudonym

It wasn't particularly dramatic but...
In a really big "boss fight" where I threw the "all-star" team of all demon type monsters from Dungeon Fantasy 2 and Dungeon Fantasy Monster 1, Two as-Sharak used their one breath attack against the knight, who was a pretty new player, he was holding back a Peshkali from the squishier players.
After two rounds of the peshkali dodging attacks and badly bruising him with 6x attacks per turn, and him doing a dodge and drop from another as-sharak's breath, he was finally at low negative hp. He asked me if there was any good desperation move tricks he could use. I told him to use deceptive strike. He said he wanted to do an all-out accurate deceptive strike to the skull of the peshkali. I told him it was dangerous.
He rolled a 3 and decimated it in one hit after not being able to get any hits off it for two, maybe three turns.
Old 09-03-2016, 01:32 PM   #18
Ternas

Having previously mentioned the favourite times during which I GMed it, I feel the need to mention one time I actually had a role as a player.

I was running a Holy Warrior of an Agriculture God and instead of taking the normal things like True Faith or a couple levels of Blessed (Heroic Feats), I instead spent the majority of my Holy Might points on an ally. A "Holy Hound" ally named Culain to be exact based off of the Timber Wolf template from DF5, a bit of Forum suggestion from PK and the like for a Divine Servitor lens for animals, and the Good Element. Spare points went to bolstering a couple skills and a technique or two since the GM allowed that. The Ally's unusual feature was that his fur instead resembled grass instead of hair, being based on the Scrunts from the film Lady in the Water.

The fun began when the party just started to realize just how strangely powerful this ally was, keeping up with most of the group in the majority of the fashion for this dungeon, this includes finding traps at default as well as managing to somehow dodge and drop a couple fantasy landmines while only being a hex away.

The most epic thing he managed to accomplish was taking down a Gorgonia (A homebrewed Medusa that the GM had cooked up with an reverse-vision based affliction method of petrification. This was before Dungeon Fantasy Monster 3 had come out and he had ruled that ItMB kept you from being turned to stone.). The rest of the team were panicking since releasing the Gorgonia also triggered a map wide effect of dropping both Mana and Sanctity to zero levels killing off all the buffs that the group had for a couple seconds before it came back.

The HW and dog, instead of grouping up with the rest of the bunch, instead decided to stay at a side passage and once they had released the Boss, the HW immediately popped his one level of Blessed and Culain charged at the bow wielding Gorgonia that had her focus fixed on the rest of the group.

The Boss had managed to petrify the Martial Artist that had charged too far forwards before Culain managed to get close enough to attack her. As I mentioned before, with some quirk points, Culain had been allowed to have some fighting techniques, Eye-Rake was just one of them. One attack later, the bow wielding Boss was blind for several minutes and then struck down by the rest of the group.

This has led to a general saying among our group that "Grass dog is better than you.". The most fun thing is that upon looking him over for a new season of RPing, it was realized that at that point, he was basically handicapped 20 points due to a miscalculation on reduced basic speed. Since we use Gurps Character Sheet program to get a PDF out quickly, he instead spent 10 points for the privilege of reducing his speed by 0.5 rather than getting 10 points back for having done so. This means that in this coming season, he is coming back stronger than ever with his Holy Warrior.
Ternas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 03:52 PM   #19
Harald387

Interactions between the Nymph Wizard and the Satyr Druid. Always fun.

Connell: "Did nobody each you how to make things explode at that wizard school of yours? I thought that was a basic lesson."
Lenia: "As I recall, I was busy during that class. I think he was an elf. At least, I think he was a he."
GP: How can that be?
M2: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
Harald387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:32 PM   #20
Stix4armz

During the first dungeon of our PbP DF game we were dealing with a werewolf pack that had holed up in an abandoned fortress or something. In the middle of the dungeon there was this trap the GM made, an obelisk with a magical stone on top that had a constant enchantment of the Mystic Mist spell (10 foot radius). Of course after we attempted to move in to disarm it triggered the walls to close in and smash us, but we got out in time.

As our resident Demolisher I wanted to blow the thing up, but our Pixie Wizard had other plans, namely removing the stone so we could sell it. He flew behind us so we didn't have to constantly make Fright Checks and we could continue on with the dungeon, namely the boss fight.

The Wildman shifts into a giant werewolf and the GM informs us that combat has started. The Pixie Wizard's player asks the GM what the height of the room is and we are told 12 yards. Realizing he could trigger the boss to make a fright check without hitting the rest of us he does so by flying above the werewolf's head. The boss failed his fright check so bad he fell unconscious for 1d6 minutes so we basically got to chop him to pieces by default since he was unconscious.

All the GM's hard work nuked in an instant because we repurposed one of his own traps against his big bad (low Will) dungeon boss. It is still one of the single best moments in that long running game and it completely changed the way we look at every problem he throws at us.
Stix4armz is offline   Reply With Quote