Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-24-2019, 11:52 PM   #151
Gollum

Default Re: Maximum Attributes for Real World People

The +4 bonus for non stressful situation is designed for daily tasks, like shooting at a cardboard target for training (which often makes believe that we are better with guns than we really would be in the heat of true combat). The example given in Basic Set is an airline pilot for day-to-day flight (page 171). It improves his professional skill from 12 to 14 (only 2% chance to face a problem) ...

For weight lifting skill, I would give it for training days with friends, where the goal is not doing the maximum you can do, but avoiding to harm yourself. I wouldn't give it for competitions, which are stressful.

So, in my humble opinion, it doesn't have to be used in the record calculation.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 01:06 AM   #152
Bengt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
GURPS seems to set unmodified rolls as what you would encounter in an adventuring situation, and give a +4 modifier for everyday use, e.g;

Unmodified lifting roll: moving an awkward rock that's blocking the exit to the dungeon while orcs are chasing you and shooting arrows at you.

Lifting +4 roll: In a gym, lifting weights that are designed to be lifted with no one attacking you.

So skill HT 10 WILL 10 skill Att+2 gives skill 12; in a gym gives you an effective skill of 16, meaning without extra effort you can increase your lift by upto 65% or with Extra Effort by upto 130%. That's just not realistic.
IMO the problem with Lifting skill in controlled situations, e.g. at the gym, is that it gives too much variation. Giving it a bonus doesn't change that, just shifts the range a bit. I think it's fine for adventure situation where you quickly have to find an adequate grip and bracing for your feat of strength.
Bengt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 01:21 AM   #153
Anders

We need some kind of "take 10" mechanic for routine situations.
Old 09-25-2019, 02:42 AM   #154
Aldric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
World record breaking lifts wouldn't be routing anyway.
What I think would help is a fixed % increase with a success and maybe a little extra with a crit success.
Aldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 07:11 AM   #155
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
In a way there exists something like this in the form of Task Difficulty Also D&D needs something like this due to its d20 where every result has an equal chance of coming up. A 3d6 uses a bell curve so things like +3 or +2 have a more pronounced effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldric View Post
World record breaking lifts wouldn't be routing anyway.
What I think would help is a fixed % increase with a success and maybe a little extra with a crit success.
Perhaps I don't understand what you are suggesting but doesn't GURPS already have something like that?
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:04 AM   #156
Aldric

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
Perhaps I don't understand what you are suggesting but doesn't GURPS already have something like that?
It gives a bonus per point of margin of success, the bell curve helps here, since the most likely results will fall in a limited range, but if you get the skill at 16, the result on a critical success is still quite different from your average.
That range of possible results is what's making it so difficult to assign a ST value to a real person (that and the fact that some feats of strenght have no equivalent in the rules, so no one can decide if they're 8xBL, 10xBL, 15xBL or something else)

But in the end, I think the values around 13-14 for most stats and 15-16 for ST are what most of my players will look at, and they may not even have to worry about it too much.
Aldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 11:41 AM   #157
Gollum

Quote:
It could help, but a fixed 10 falls in the opposite problem: no variation at all. And even in daily training, feats of a given athlete do vary ...

But wait! If someone really want to simulate a weightlifting competition with GURPS, there is a simple solution to do it ...

Rather than rolling the dice once to see how much the character can lift and assess who is the better with the RAW formula: +5% per point of margin of success, just play the competition out in detail.

It begins with a given weight, the same for all competitors. They all make one roll to see if they can lift it. Then, the weight is increased. New roll to see if they can lift it again, and so on ...

Exactly as it is done during Olympic competitions: the difficulty of the task increases step by step and only those who succeeded one step can go to the next one.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 12:54 PM   #158
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
It could help, but a fixed 10 falls in the opposite problem: no variation at all. And even in daily training, feats of a given athlete do vary ...
Roll 1d6+7 instead? Same average but smaller range?
Old 09-25-2019, 01:03 PM   #159
Daigoro

If 5-50% bonus is too swingy, just say that success gives +10% lift, and a crit gives +20%, say. That also fits with how most other skills work. I can't think of many others that have an effect linked to MoS; there's Tactics when giving Impulse Points in small unit combat. Any others?
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 01:39 PM   #160
Anders

That could work really well.

Tags
attribute