Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-12-2016, 07:36 AM   #1
Anders

Default Character concepts you'll never use

I can't be the only one who has character concepts they're never going to use, for campaigns they'll never play... let's share and enjoy!

A super who is manic-depressive. He can split into two separate characters, one who is fire-themed and one who is ice-themed, symbolising the facets of his personality.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:09 AM   #2
McAllister

Default Re: Character concepts you'll never use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
I can't be the only one who has character concepts they're never going to use, for campaigns they'll never play... let's share and enjoy!

A super who is manic-depressive. He can split into two separate characters, one who is fire-themed and one who is ice-themed, symbolising the facets of his personality.
PLEASE tell me this is a play on words using the literal meaning of tsundere (which is, essentially, hot-cold).

Lately, I've been wanting to play a bloodthirsty fantasy jester who uses Snatcher to summon sickles and the Dancing Weapon imbuement to send them to go embed themselves in someone. Preferably this would include the Technical Grappling rules, so the sickles can inflict CP and hinder the victim just by sticking in there.
McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:14 AM   #3
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister View Post
PLEASE tell me this is a play on words using the literal meaning of tsundere (which is, essentially, hot-cold).
Nope. But I'll be happy to take credit for the pun!

I have depression and when it's bad everything... even getting out of bed... is like slogging through heavy snow. So I just took it from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister View Post
Lately, I've been wanting to play a bloodthirsty fantasy jester who uses Snatcher to summon sickles and the Dancing Weapon imbuement to send them to go embed themselves in someone. Preferably this would include the Technical Grappling rules, so the sickles can inflict CP and hinder the victim just by sticking in there.
That sounds awesome!
Old 09-12-2016, 08:26 AM   #4
CoyoteGestalt

An Infinity Patrol jumper or ISWAT team member who is secretly a shapeshifting parachronozooid trying to manipulate Infinity for his own ends... but without the social & strategic skills, or the attention span, to actually do so. The Infinity higher-ups know what he is and are just humouring him, because he's a pretty good team member aside from his long-term plans that he never follows through on.
CoyoteGestalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:02 AM   #5
Fred Brackin

Feedback Loup- a werewolf/rock guitar player whose drug abuse has burned out the parts of his brain connected to circadian rhythms and physiological responses to external stimuli.

He's always rather shaggy by human standards but when there's a full moon he just looks kind of puzzled like there's something he should be doing but can't remember what. He has a lot of memory problems.

Other semi-lycanthropic powers would be the Super-HT and recuperative abilities that's let him survive his bad habits along with enhanced ST and the occasional sprouting of claws.

He is or indeterminate age and is always telling stories about "This one time Jimi was...." and there's usually _somebody_ who might be him in old pictures. Or it might just have been Keith Richards on a bad day. There is something of a resemblance.

The actual designation "Feedback Loup" stems from his membership in a Twilight-themed band called _Darkness_ because you know, what comes after Twilight? The lead singer was probably just pretending to be a vampire. Probably just gay instead but like how can you tell the difference?

Anyway, he only remembers to answer to the name "Feedback Loup" because that's what's written on the backstage pass hanging from around his neck.

You can probably see why the game where he'd fit in isn't very likely to happen.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:17 AM   #6
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Reuben Ithelsen:

Reich 5 world jumper with broad knoweldge of the occult, particuarly demons and blood magic.

He can send things (including himself) to different worlds via drawing mystic symbols with his own blood. He can also send messages to other worlds by drawing them in his own blood, and then sending just the words -- which burn themselves into the ground of the world he's sending them to.

He started out as a NPC for an IW adventure I may eventually finish and post on my blog. But then he just took on a life of his own.

The sad thing is I don't know if he's a useful character in most games. Though he may work well as a turn-coat sage in a game aimed at Reich-5.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:02 PM   #7
Phantasm

Daigan Kelso/Lady Nox, a Rebellion-era Sith Apprentice from a rival Sith faction (one that didn't join Lord Kaan's Brotherhood of Darkness and hence didn't get destroyed when Darth Bane manipulated the Brotherhood into imploding, literally) whose Sith Master had been killed by Darth Vader under the impression the Master was a fallen Jedi who survived the Purge. She has the personal belief that the Jedi and Sith need each other: the Sith need the Jedi to constantly test themselves against to avoid self-destruction, and the Jedi need the Sith to keep them from becoming complacent (like what happened during the previous millennium). She works for the Rebellion out of revenge, not caring for the politics; she doesn't care if the galaxy is run by a Republic or an Empire. She wants to kill Darth Vader, but if given a serious offer might agree to becoming his apprentice - if he could convince her to follow the Rule of Two or she can convince him and the Emperor to break it. Barring that, she'll settle for vengeance.

So yeah, a complicated character that has been shot down by several GMs because it didn't fit their plans (most just didn't want a full-on dark-sider working with a team of Jedi and not have plans for eventual redemption).

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:09 PM   #8
Litvyak

Looking through my characters folder for GCA, here's a few that come to mind (really, I have so many characters in there, I don't even remember half of them):

Geriatric Dirty Harry: Long since retired from the SFPD, but still an excellent shot with his signature .44 Magnum. Of course at 86 years old he suffers from a host of age related problems, including a bad back, bad sight, quirk level forgetfulness and Minor Handicap (Incontinence).

Atlantia: Inspired by a thread about supers in Reign of Steel, she's the champion of Atlantis sent to the surface world to help fight against the machines. She's able to breath underwater, withstand up to 100 atmospheres of pressure and swim over 40 MPH. Not to mention she has strength rivaling the strongest human and incredible durability. She wields the Sword of Atlantis (a thrusting bastard sword with the super-fine and vibro-blade upgrades) which in her hands can slice through Myrmidons and Tarantulas. (She's more or less built on the Archetype Template from Supers, heavily pared down to 500 points and 50 points of Disadvantages).

Fierce Frog: Metal Gear Solid inspired character based on the idea of former Frog soldier (from MGS4) who is now a sort of Solid Snake successor. She has super jump, clinging and a mind devoid of pleasure and ravaged by PTSD.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:20 PM   #9
Disliker of the mary sue

Lightsaber black market seller. A person who fell though on jedi training but managed to learn how to construct lightsabers very well. she now travels the galaxy selling black market light sabers to interested parties. She is contantly experimenting with new designs and concepts with the device.

A ex-palidian who left because of disillusionment with his god takes up the offer of another god to do his buisness in exchange for reviving fromt he dead his loved one who is in a otherwise unreviable situation.

A creepy little girl who carries around a munthkin chibithulu plush.
Disliker of the mary sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:07 PM   #10
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
Geriatric Dirty Harry: Long since retired from the SFPD, but still an excellent shot with his signature .44 Magnum. Of course at 86 years old he suffers from a host of age related problems, including a bad back, bad sight, quirk level forgetfulness and Minor Handicap (Incontinence).
"Did I fire six shots, or only five?" <g>

My character never to be played is for a Supers game: somebody who got the stereotypical flight/toughness/strength combo, but is severely acrophobic and a pacifist. He's never to be played because my game group would quickly consign him to "joke character" status.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
characters