Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-14-2013, 02:08 AM   #11
Anders

Default Re: Lone Ranger

How skilled is he? He shoots to disarm, doesn't he? Is that some kind of technique? Shtick?
Old 07-14-2013, 02:46 AM   #12
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
How skilled is he? He shoots to disarm, doesn't he? Is that some kind of technique? Shtick?
It'd be a targeted attack, yes.

Targeted Attack (_skill Disarm/Weapon) if using a melee weapon and Targeted Attack (_skill/Weapon) if using a ranged weapon.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:48 AM   #13
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
How much would this Code of Honor be worth?

I believe...
  • That to have a friend, a man must be one.
  • That all men are created equal and that everyone has within himself the power to make this a better world.
  • That God put the firewood there, but that every man must gather and light it himself.
  • In being prepared physically, mentally, and morally to fight when necessary for what is right.
  • That a man should make the most of what equipment he has.
  • That 'this government of the people, by the people, and for the people' shall live always.
  • That men should live by the rule of what is best for the greatest number.
  • That sooner or later...somewhere...somehow...we must settle with the world and make payment for what we have taken.
  • That all things change but truth, and that truth alone, lives on forever.
  • In my Creator, my country, my fellow man.
[-5]; it is an informal code that only applies to his peers while not being especially onerous.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:31 AM   #14
Polydamas

Quote:
How much would this Code of Honor be worth?

I believe... <snip>
Well, that isn't a CoH but a credo. Ask yourself "what is the Lone Ranger obliged or forbidden to do?" and you have an idea of how serious a Disadvantage it is.

Some aspects of the Lone Ranger's commitment to arete may be advantages (high skills and attributes, Standard Operation procedure perks, Contacts, Reputation).

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:44 AM   #15
Anders

Well, I've never listened to the radio show or watched the TV show (there was a TV show, right?
Old 07-14-2013, 07:48 AM   #16
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Well, I've never listened to the radio show or watched the TV show (there was a TV show, right?
Yes, there was.

The earlier episodes of the radio show are old enough to be out-of-copyright, and some of those are available in the Internet Archive:
http://archive.org/search.php?query=...iatype%3Aaudio
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:53 AM   #17
LokRobster

From what I've heard, the new Lone Ranger has Pacifism: Cannot Kill, and Quirk: Dislikes Using Guns. He goes out of his way to spare the life of the Bad Guy that killed his brother, and convinces an eager-for-Justice Tonto to not kill him either.

Both if which don't fit at all with the Classic Lone Ranger, and make for a frustrating movie experience if you're expecting that the Lone Ranger shoots Bad Guys. I still am going to go see it; hopefully it'll be better knowing what direction the Disney writers are going in advance.

I agree with Sunrunners_Fire that the giant list of credos that, as a GM, I would allow as adding up to a 5 pt disadvantage; it's a long list of quirk level ideals that would add to the character for RP purposes.

Last edited by LokRobster; 07-14-2013 at 11:51 AM.
LokRobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:25 PM   #18
Astromancer

The Classic Lone Ranger and Tonto were meant to be superlative versions of a Texas Ranger and a Comanche Warrior/Sout. To do 90% of the stating, come up with templates for an absolutely magnificent Texas Ranger and and equally magnifigant Comanche Warrior/Sout. Then add quirks.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #19
Miles

More important than the Lone Ranger's official creed would be the show writer's bible. In it's heyday, the Lone Ranger was a kid's show in a very moralistic environment, and the writers took pains to deliver quality entertainment that delivered more moral lessons per minute than your average Sunday School class.

The Comics Code isn't appropriate to the character because most of the genre conventions are irrelevant to him. Pacifism: Cannot Kill is definitely there, and he was never actually shown to kill anyone by accident. He always shoot to disarm (and unlike the darker recent comics, he doesn't usually wound people in the process) and it's simply accepted that he doesn't accidentally kill someone if he misses.

He also has Quirk: Formal Diction, the Masked perk, and possibly a Vow of Chasity.
Miles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
characters, code of honor