Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-21-2017, 01:26 PM   #1
Jasonft

Default Minor dice rolling/ probability question

Minor dice rolling/ probability question (and I'm just OCD enough this is kinda bugging me). I post it here because I know there are people here a lot better at math than I am.

Rolling a standard six sided die: average result is 3.5

Rolling a standard six sided die where a '6' gives you +5 to your total and you roll again (adding the results together) until you roll something other than a '6': I think the result is 4 or just a hair more. Not sure of exact number.

My question involves the following -

Rolling six sided die as per the second example, but adding in the ability to re-roll any '1' (not adding it to the total) until you roll something besides a '1'.

If you still add the rolls together as you do in the second example, and re-roll any '1' without adding to the total, what is the average result for the die roll?

Not a GURPS question, I know. This actually comes out of the rebooted TORG: Eternity and relates to how valuable an advantage (they call them Perks) is in the game. Any help would be appreciated.
Jasonft is offline   Reply With Quote