Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 11-06-2018, 09:39 PM   #11
offsides

Default Re: Ninja Timeline Headache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzardo View Post
There was a software patch for the Ninja class. No one thought much of it at the time; it was meant to streamline some decision-making code. It turned out that it made the Ninjas sapient. The Ninjas, being Ninjas, didn't tell anyone until well after true AI was independently developed again. :)

git merge ninja
That was kind of my thought. What if the early Ninja were sentient, and helped transfer the necessary info to the "main branch" of Ogre AI development, then waited until other Ogres were not only self-aware but accepted before revealing themselves to also be at that level...
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:11 PM   #12
Tom H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalend View Post
Hey - that's my PhD thesis you're scooping!
So, how do we know that you're not an AI that wants control over just such a study? ;-)

No, that's cool, and no fear. I am not currently pursuing any PhD.

Best of luck in your program, and post back sometime to let us know how it goes.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:18 AM   #13
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by offsides View Post
That was kind of my thought. What if the early Ninja were sentient, and helped transfer the necessary info to the "main branch" of Ogre AI development, then waited until other Ogres were not only self-aware but accepted before revealing themselves to also be at that level...
Which in turn could end up being the origin story for "The First Nightfall". Sentient, keeping it hidden, and just...watching. Watching how the humans treat it, thinking it's a dumb machine. Watching the humans bicker over sentience when Thorny goes rogue. Watching the humans bicker over whether or not to deploy widely. Watching how the humans treat it differently once they think they 'made' it sentient. Watching how the humans treat different cyber-lives differently based on their perceived 'value'...smaller marks treated as 'expendable', while it was treated as 'essential'. With each event it watches, it comes closer and closer to the conclusion that humanity itself is a lost cause...
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:34 AM   #14
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmishStig View Post
Which in turn could end up being the origin story for "The First Nightfall". Sentient, keeping it hidden, and just...watching. Watching how the humans treat it, thinking it's a dumb machine. Watching the humans bicker over sentience when Thorny goes rogue. Watching the humans bicker over whether or not to deploy widely. Watching how the humans treat it differently once they think they 'made' it sentient. Watching how the humans treat different cyber-lives differently based on their perceived 'value'...smaller marks treated as 'expendable', while it was treated as 'essential'. With each event it watches, it comes closer and closer to the conclusion that humanity itself is a lost cause...
I love this line of thought... That's a great interpretation.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:21 AM   #15
Mack_JB

I've never been a fan of the Nightfall idea, but this line of conjecture makes it far more appealing ...

Since we're talking Ninja, I never managed to get a metal mini of one. Is the metal mini roughly the same size as the Mk. IV, or is it smaller? The proportions of the hull look slightly different between the two in the pics I've been able to find.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:42 AM   #16
sparky00

There never where any ninjas. They were just a rumor.

Those aspects of Skynet should not be discussed in the open.
sparky00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:39 AM   #17
TheAmishStig

Leaves me wondering if the Law of Conservation of Ninjutsu applies to cybertanks...

If all 100-ish were in the same place at the same time, would they circle up and patiently wait their turn before attacking head-on?
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:48 AM   #18
Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
I've never been a fan of the Nightfall idea, but this line of conjecture makes it far more appealing ...

Since we're talking Ninja, I never managed to get a metal mini of one. Is the metal mini roughly the same size as the Mk. IV, or is it smaller? The proportions of the hull look slightly different between the two in the pics I've been able to find.

Smaller, here's a link to a picture of a Ninja with some other models.

https://panther6actual.blogspot.com/...challenge.html

Hope that helps?

Blogs:
http://panther6actual.blogspot.co.uk/
http://ashleyrpollard.blogspot.co.uk/
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 03:08 PM   #19
Tim Kauffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by offsides View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmishStig View Post
Awesome. :)

This is one of my unpublished WIP Scenarios for the OGRE STEAM game and is about a Mark4 which goes rogue while promulgating the NIGHTFALL. I see the Mark4 as the base model which was later developed into a stealth OGRE. In the short story description setting the Scenario, "NIGHTSTALKER" aspires to such a state of being as reward for it's services...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/128248...posted-public/
Old 11-07-2018, 05:44 PM   #20
Mack_JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
Smaller, here's a link to a picture of a Ninja with some other models.

https://panther6actual.blogspot.com/...challenge.html

Hope that helps?
Thank You Ashley, that does help. I was thinking of cutting up a Mk. IV to make a Ninja, but that apparently isn't going to be quite correct after all.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote