Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 11-15-2017, 11:50 AM   #1
TheAmishStig

Default Lore Question: What factions use what minis?

Ok, so...I may or may not have a long-standing diagnosis of Acute Figmentia, and between Dan's example painted figures and some chatting with Hunter, I'm second-guessing my original plan.

The original plan, when it was Set 1 and just Set 1 and no certainty over whether there would even be a Set 2, was to do each of the 9 armies I was getting...2 regular, 2 reverse, 2 green, 3 glowy...in a singular paint scheme, Ogres and Conventional Units both, on the assumption we wouldn't be getting Paneuro cybertanks; That way any of the paint schemes could attack or defend.

Now that Set 2 is here and doing fairly well, that throws a wrench in the works; I'm debating whether I want to split the attackers/defenders into different armies, counting on later sets to provide conventional Combine troops and Paneuro cybertanks to fill out the same.

So I turn to you guys, who know the fluff far better than I do: If I split them and paint up troops as various factions...other than the obvious two, who uses what empire's sculpts? I know of groups like Nihon and Vatican Guard, but not whether I should be doing Ogres or Fencers/Conventional Troops in their colors, or even [Vatican Guard aside] what those colors are.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:00 PM   #2
ColBosch

Default Re: Lore Question: What factions use what minis?

The Fencer was only ever used by PanEuro forces. Beyond that, almost every faction at some point or another used their enemies' equipment. The Ogre Mk III and V, in particular, were used in great numbers by the PanEuros after the capture of the English factory at Sheffield. Quite often, when one of the automated factories was captured, its output would be immediately seized and fielded as-is, just with different paint jobs and IFF codes. The Japanese made this a cornerstone of their invasion of the Combine, and it worked reasonably well, before everything fell apart and the factories themselves went ahead and took over.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:02 PM   #3
offsides

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmishStig View Post
Ok, so...I may or may not have a long-standing diagnosis of Acute Figmentia, and between Dan's example painted figures and some chatting with Hunter, I'm second-guessing my original plan.

The original plan, when it was Set 1 and just Set 1 and no certainty over whether there would even be a Set 2, was to do each of the 9 armies I was getting...2 regular, 2 reverse, 2 green, 3 glowy...in a singular paint scheme, Ogres and Conventional Units both, on the assumption we wouldn't be getting Paneuro cybertanks; That way any of the paint schemes could attack or defend.

Now that Set 2 is here and doing fairly well, that throws a wrench in the works; I'm debating whether I want to split the attackers/defenders into different armies, counting on later sets to provide conventional Combine troops and Paneuro cybertanks to fill out the same.

So I turn to you guys, who know the fluff far better than I do: If I split them and paint up troops as various factions...other than the obvious two, who uses what empire's sculpts? I know of groups like Nihon and Vatican Guard, but not whether I should be doing Ogres or Fencers/Conventional Troops in their colors, or even [Vatican Guard aside] what those colors are.
As available, the current counter forces are as follows:

NAC, Black Rose Mercs, Nihon North America - Combine units
PE, "Third Force", Barbarians at the Gate (Vatican Guard, Sons of Old Nassau, A.R.F.), Nighfall - PE units

Also, the PE forces fielded their own Ogre Mk III and V units (Legionnaire and Huscarl, IIRC) before they built the Fencer and Doppelsoldner, so you can paint those 2 models in any side's colors you choose. Fencers and Dopps were PE only (not sure if the Vatican Guard would have gotten them too), everything else other than the III and V were Combine only (I don't expect the Black Rose got more than Mk Is, and Nihon would have used their own cybertanks).

As to whether to use the existing (PE) minis in Combine-style colors, that I can't tell you. I have no idea if we'll be getting Combine sculpts in a future set, though I can hope :)
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:06 PM   #4
Desert Scribe

Yes, as others stated, all sides used vehicles from all sides. So paint up two sets of armies, regardless of the specific minis in each one, and let them have at each other on the tabletop.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:56 PM   #5
TheAmishStig

Interesting! I knew about the Sheffield plant, but not how widespread that kind of "conscription" was...but did see from the metals that the Legionnaire/Huscarl are vastly different sculpts, removing the conning tower and etc, which is something filed away in the back of my mind.

Thanks for the education so far, and in advance for any yet to come.

I know Ogre isn't as picky as something like Heavy Gear or Warhammer when it comes to "Sorry, you used Kaiser Gray instead of Empire Gray, that whole unit can't take part in the battle because it's painted wrong". The whole impetus is aiming to have a bunch of stuff I can bust out at conventions to make long-time fans squee at seeing their favorite obscure faction on the table, while being visually distinct enough for "Assault on Monopolis" (I think that's what it was called) style events with no doubts as to what unit belongs to what player.

Not to mention, I'll be grinning from ear to ear the first time I sit down for a demo and an excited little girl asks to play as the pink team.

I suppose then that makes the question of the day "official" color schemes for various factions...knowing that Ogres are unique personalities, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a pink Mk.V floating about somewhere wondering where its duckling GEVs got to (Hi Drew!), but I doubt that conventional units get that kind of latitude outside of mercenary units.

Here's what I found, between Google, W23, and sussing them out from looking at the counter sheets from ODE (thanks Offsides for the idea)...speaking of, I should snag a copy some day just for the excess of it all...I wonder if that one forum member that used to have a game store has any left.
  • Combine: Red/White (O6E Counters, W23)
  • PanEuro: Blue/Yellow (ODE Counters)
  • Vatican Guard: Purple/Yellow (Sponsored Counters)
  • Nihon Empire: Silver/Red, or Silver/Blue? Hard to make out (Sponsored Counters)
  • ???: Black/Gray, Black/Green (Nightfall sponsored counters)
  • Any I missed? I see some fluff mentioning China, India, Australia, etc, but can't find anything on them.

The rest seem to be various camo schemes and such...aside from Ben's yellow force, which looks gorgeous. Such a pain in the neck color to work with, and he absolutely nailed it. His Blue / Turquoise looks wonderful as well.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Old 11-15-2017, 03:41 PM   #6
Mack_JB

I may be remembering this wrong as well, but wasn't the Mk. IV Ogre only used by NAC (and aligned) forces?

My age-old question is why does everything look like a "tank" except the NAC "Raptor" GEV? That thing looks like a bad scifi version of a space fighter.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:42 PM   #7
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmishStig View Post
but I doubt that conventional units get that kind of latitude outside of mercenary units.
Ultimately, there are no real rules about colors; paint them however you want. Even the "official" red/blue was reversed originally (NAC = blue, PE = red) in all the old minis paint jobs, so I call BS on anything being official.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:49 PM   #8
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
Ultimately, there are no real rules about colors; paint them however you want. Even the "official" red/blue was reversed originally (NAC = blue, PE = red) in all the old minis paint jobs, so I call BS on anything being official.
As I continue researching, I get the feeling you're on to something. In looking at some of the metal-minis pics on W23, there is NAC stuff that is white with red trim instead of red with white trim, and PE stuff that is blue with red trim instead of blue with yellow trim...

The things I do for fanservice... ^_^
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Old 11-15-2017, 04:59 PM   #9
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Really this game didn't have distinct factions until comparatively late. You can justify nearly anything by saying it is Factory States era anyway.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 06:16 PM   #10
Dave Crowell

Remember that when the game first came out all the counters had the same unit silhouettes, one set white on black and the other set black on white. At least one printing of GEV had blue and white counters.

During the Factory States era the blocs were much smaller than Paneurope and the NA Combine.

Mix and match unit designs and colours however you like. When (if) we get Combine plastics I suppose you could even mix the two styles in the same force if you wanted to.

It is often suggested that the minis on the table represent holotank displays which are in heraldic false colour to make units easier to distinguish from one another. In that case the actual units might even be painted in drab camouflage schemes.
Dave Crowell is offline   Reply With Quote