Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-03-2017, 08:08 AM   #1
GWJ

Default Deadly Spring & Low-Tech

Hi, I found this unfamous Deadly Springs article, and I must agree that contrary to this "unfame", this is great article for me. But I have 2 troubles with this :(

1. Major problem. Crossbows. There is just one type of medieval crossbow, and in Low-Tech there are also Composite, Gastraphetes, Pistol Crossbows, Prodd, Slurbow, and few others. And I completely don't know how to build these types using spreadsheet.

2. What about Harsh Realism with Ranged Weapons (Low-Tech p.75) in relation to this article? Does this optional rule was incorporated (fully, or to some degree) in article-bow stats, or I should do this myself AFTER creation of the bow?
GWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:27 AM   #2
Bruno

Default Re: Deadly Spring & Low-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWJ View Post
Hi, I found this unfamous Deadly Springs article, and I must agree that contrary to this "unfame", this is great article for me. But I have 2 troubles with this :(

1. Major problem. Crossbows. There is just one type of medieval crossbow, and in Low-Tech there are also Composite, Gastraphetes, Pistol Crossbows, Prodd, Slurbow, and few others.
A composite crossbow is just a crossbow using two materials - just like a composite bow. It's fully supported in the spreadsheet and article, because it uses the same rules (don't make the stock composite!).

The Gastrophetes and Pistol Crossbows are just different sizes of crossbows. Make them bigger or smaller *shrug*.

The Slurbow and Prodd are more funky.
The Slurbow is mostly a crossbow with a short draw length that fires equally short bolts (aka darts), but the bolts are unfletched and there's the weird thing about multiple projectiles. Unfletched bolts/darts are going to reduce accuracy and I presume range, multiple darts might look at the pajunda (sp) rules?

The Prodd is funky because it doesn't fire a bolt at all. The rest of the weapon up to calculating the force imparted to the projectile is normal - you're finding the weight of a bullet instead of a bolt, but the math is still the same and it should be generally the same damage, but pi of some kind instead of imp. It's things like the ACC and Range that would be modified and I don't have guidelines for that.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:19 AM   #3
acrosome

Quote:
2. What about Harsh Realism with Ranged Weapons (Low-Tech p.75) in relation to this article? Does this optional rule was incorporated (fully, or to some degree) in article-bow stats, or I should do this myself AFTER creation of the bow?
I am nigh-certain that The Deadly Spring has rules for producing both semi-cinematic standard GURPS damage and realistic damage. I think you missed it or something.
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:48 PM   #4
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
1. Major problem. Crossbows. There is just one type of medieval crossbow, and in Low-Tech there are also Composite, Gastraphetes, Pistol Crossbows, Prodd, Slurbow, and few others. And I completely don't know how to build these types using spreadsheet.
As Bruno notes, a composite crossbow is two materials - usually wood of some sort and sinew, but horn/sinew might be good too. The rest are either just the size and draw length (some of that you can just do, some you'll have to wave hands at a bit) and the rest are projectile types.

Quote:
The Deadly Spring arose from some difficulties I had within the context of the LT playtest, so whatever is in LT is mostly replaced by TDS for bows and crossbows.

The maximum accuracy with fine bows firing fine arrows, with a long bow for stability, should be about 4. That's what's required to put one 8mm arrow into another at olympic range, which I have seen at least the Korean Olympic archery team do on film. That's probably as high as TDS can design to, and as high as realistic accuracy can get. If you use TDS the Acc will probably be OK for games where you're not looking for magical bows with magical accuracy. No modification should be needed.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
low-tech, pyramid 3/33