Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 05:12 PM   #11
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: GURPS & Paizo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
In addition to what Andrew has already said, I'd like to note that you're asking SJ Games to provide insight on Douglas' personal thoughts. Any reasons, issues, etc., that he raises are something you'd need to ask him about -- we never even said anything on the matter. :)
I'd be happy to take this up as a response to comments written on my blog. That's what the comments section is for.

Should I do so, however, it will be in a general way, since I will not speculate about the particular motivations or internal or external business environment of either company - I have no knowledge of either, and won't make stuff up.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:03 PM   #12
Dammann

Please forget I asked.

Please consider my curiosity about this topic abandoned entirely. I have given offense by mistake, and would take it back if I could.

Last edited by Dammann; 01-24-2013 at 08:05 PM. Reason: brevity
Old 01-24-2013, 08:42 PM   #13
Kalzazz

I am actually curious to know your thoughts on it Doug, so I have attempted to find and post in your blog comments section as you suggested
Old 01-24-2013, 08:57 PM   #14
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammann View Post
Please forget I asked.

Please consider my curiosity about this topic abandoned entirely. I have given offense by mistake, and would take it back if I could.
I don't think you offended anyone. It's just that you aren't ever going to get official word about speculative licensing. SJGames is very professional about business matters and won't generally leak information or encourage rumors.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:17 PM   #15
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I don't think you offended anyone. It's just that you aren't ever going to get official word about speculative licensing. SJGames is very professional about business matters and won't generally leak information or encourage rumors.
And as someone who kinda likes to write for them and playtest their stuff when I can, I respect their wish to not leak information, encourage rumors, or speculate unprofessionally. Especially in their house, to to speak (the SJG Forums).
Old 01-24-2013, 09:33 PM   #16
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
And as someone who kinda likes to write for them and playtest their stuff when I can, I respect their wish to not leak information, encourage rumors, or speculate unprofessionally. Especially in their house, to to speak (the SJG Forums).
Yes, I find their professionalism to be admirable. I believe that it is one of the factors that has kept Steve in business all these decades.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:39 PM   #17
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

I think that in today's contracted RPG market and with SJ Games limited resources, such a venture is unlikely. However, historical precedent suggests SJ Games may occasionally choose to develop licensed GURPS versions of other tabletop RPG backgrounds, such as their versions of World of Darkness, Goblins, Bunnies & Burrows, Traveller, Deadlands, Castle Falkenstein and Blue Planet (plus computer games Myth and Alpha Centauri).

The choice of which game universes were adapted range from the widely popular from a big company (World of Darkness from White Wolf) to highly obscure (Goblins, from a small company in New Zealand).

As such, all that can be said is that SJ Games has, in the past, made deals with companies large and small to adapt materials, but it hasn't done so in several years, with the exception of the ongoing Traveller license.

In the current climate, my guess would be that the sort of tabletop game most likely thing to be adapted would be something that SJ or perhaps Phil are personally fond of that is produced by an individual or company they have a very good relationship with, and which is either inexpensive or has a high chance of being profitable, i.e., the Traveller model. Whether Pathfinder's world fits that criteria I have no idea.

Last edited by David L Pulver; 01-24-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:51 AM   #18
David Johansen

Quote:
Originally Posted by David L Pulver View Post
Perhaps there should be a Pathfinder version of Ogre.
Of course you realize we're going to take that as a product announcement and hold you to it, troubling you about it for years to come, right?

Actually though, DO IT! More particularly do it for April Fools this year. Stat up Ogres I - VI, heavy tanks, gevs, howitzers, and powered armor infantry for Pathfinder and post it as a freebie.

The crossover marketing potential is awesome. Pathfinder's huge right now but lots of younger gamers have never even heard of Ogre. It's time to teach them the error of their ways.

Don't groan and look at me like that, you did this to yourself.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:27 PM   #19
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johansen View Post
Of course you realize we're going to take that as a product announcement and hold you to it, troubling you about it for years to come, right?

Actually though, DO IT! More particularly do it for April Fools this year. Stat up Ogres I - VI, heavy tanks, gevs, howitzers, and powered armor infantry for Pathfinder and post it as a freebie.

The crossover marketing potential is awesome. Pathfinder's huge right now but lots of younger gamers have never even heard of Ogre. It's time to teach them the error of their ways.

Don't groan and look at me like that, you did this to yourself.
If Mr. Pulver does this, then GURPS Vehicle Design System will be delayed even longer...

So, yeah, go ahead and do this! <g>
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:48 PM   #20
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
I'd be happy to take this up as a response to comments written on my blog. That's what the comments section is for.

Should I do so, however, it will be in a general way, since I will not speculate about the particular motivations or internal or external business environment of either company - I have no knowledge of either, and won't make stuff up.
Two things:

1) My comments are up on my blog.

2) A friend reminded me of this: http://www.sjgames.com/general/press...s/120816a.html

I'd forgotten.

Hrm. :-)
Closed Thread