Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-24-2017, 11:14 AM   #21
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: What is the name of this limitation?

If Ghost is always attached to Flint, why not just make her Insubstantial and give her No Legs (Portable)?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 11:44 AM   #22
Hide

Default Re: What is the name of this limitation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Are there really two player characters (PCs) involved here, or is it one character for one player, even though the concept involves both Ghost and Flint? (...)
You could have either two charters or a single one; it depends on the people playing the setting.
You got it right, there are two chances to attack because there are two separate characters.
When Ghost becomes insubstantial she can act independently, but cannot walk away from a certain radius.
A dupe sounds cool, but that would be another ability (your suggestion reminds me of Madara’s “Limbo” from Naruto). In this situation they must be different people (either two players, or a player with an ally).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
This seems like another instance that could be covered by a new Anchored disadvantage, here applied to the ghost character, that (...) basically, we decided that it's similar to Dependency, but effecting a different result than HP loss.
Ah yes, I read your post a while a go! Also I read another one from Red Matis, which was more or less under the same subject. I did not take the “Dependency Solution” because it sort of neglects the idea of the “paranormal cord”.

As far as I conceive the idea of bound spirits, they stick to an object and always find it because they are tied to it by an invisible link or a “paranormal cord”. This invisible link lets them find “their object” even if you are miles away.

Sir_pudding suggested a nuisance effect, I think it fits in my setting because it has a fair cost and is flexible (for example, for a spirit haunting a house I could freely state the nuisance effect: Bound to the house in which shed died and cannot go further from its perimeter). I would add this nuisance to the character’s racial template's main element (perhaps insubstantiality).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
If Ghost is always attached to Flint, why not just make her Insubstantial and give her No Legs (Portable)?
Considering the comments on this thread, I arrived to this:

Insubstantiality
Affects substantial 100%, Touch (Switchable) 5%, Projection -50%, Nuisance Effect (Tethered to another person up to Normal Basic Move or Half Move) -15%, No Legs (Portable) - 30% [88]

This is how I see it:

Affects substantial
Ghost has the ability to affect the substantial with certain skills.

Touch (Switchable)
Can touch substantial when she wants to.

Projection
Leaves her physical body when projected (also has double move, as stated in GURPS Horror).

Nuisance Effect
Being tethered to Flint (-5%), she won't move away from Flint further/more than half her current move (-10% as suggested by Bruno). Also, now she has normal move on projected form (instead of double move).

No legs (portable)
This one, from Trans Human Space Shell Tech, justifies the fact of being carried-by/mounted-to a human being. It also justifies being pushed away together at the same time Flint is (or if you push Ghost, you may push Flint as well). She can move, because she is insubstantial, but limited to the previously mentioned radius (always relative to Flint).

- Hide

Last edited by Hide; 10-24-2017 at 11:49 AM.
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote