Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 06-26-2014, 10:53 AM   #1
felwred

Default Tournament rules questions

Hi all (first I have to say it is great that the actual Munchkin staff gets involved to answer questions). I about to go into my first tournament and have some tournament questions:
1. The tournament rule sheet says that the level counter app and the Sherpa are always allowed. It also says that you can only play 1 more item than the fewest items someone else at the table plays.
1a. Do the app and sherpa count as items towards this limit?
1b. If you have bookmarks, do each of the bookmarks count as an item or does the pack of bookmarks count as one item?
1c. When you use coins in game, do you get them back at the end of the game?

2. Do you have to explain the rules for any items you use when you declare you are going to use the item in a tournament game (meaning - can you just say, I am using the app or a bookmark or do you have to explain what they do)? It seems like if someone has a stack of bookmarks, that could take forever but if they have some obscure items, it could let someone win the game without anyone being able to stop them.

Thank you!

Fred

felwred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:46 PM   #2
Enzzo

Default Re: Tournament rules questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by felwred View Post
No. The rule says "Give the Silver Piece to one of the players who guessed wrong." The transfer of ownership is permanent.

Similarly, Bookmarks that require self-destruction must actually be destroyed if it is printed on the Bookmark. So you better really mean it :)

Quote:
2. Do you have to explain the rules for any items you use when you declare you are going to use the item in a tournament game (meaning - can you just say, I am using the app or a bookmark or do you have to explain what they do)?
Most of the rules of this type specifically say you have to show the item (in the case of the Bookmarks), or show them the Rule (in the case of the coin). :) I'd say that Wheaton's Law (incorporated by reference on Page 1 of the Tournament Rules) would dictate that you have to explain what you're doing, though, even if the rules didn't specifically require it.

Last edited by Enzzo; 06-26-2014 at 10:53 PM.
Enzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:37 AM   #3
MIB 9966

This isn't official, but should be fairly close:

Quote:
1. The tournament rule sheet says that the level counter app and the Sherpa are always allowed. It also says that you can only play 1 more item than the fewest items someone else at the table plays.
You may want to re-read the section under Promotional Items Allowed. There are four type of tournaments that are defined. +1 is only one of the three.

Quote:
1a. Do the app and sherpa count as items towards this limit?
They are on the always allowed list, so no under most circumstances. Not quite sure now how they count under a +1 tournament situation.

Quote:
1b. If you have bookmarks, do each of the bookmarks count as an item or does the pack of bookmarks count as one item?
Each individual one is a single item, so a pack of 20 different bookmarks counts as 20 bookmarks.

Quote:
Depends on the rule of that month. From the Tournament Rules: Rules on Promotional items requiring them to be destroyed or given away must be enforced.

If the rule says to give it away, it's gone.

Quote:
2. Do you have to explain the rules for any items you use when you declare you are going to use the item in a tournament game (meaning - can you just say, I am using the app or a bookmark or do you have to explain what they do)? It seems like if someone has a stack of bookmarks, that could take forever but if they have some obscure items, it could let someone win the game without anyone being able to stop them.
Under standard rules, you can only have one of each type of promotional item for you during the game. I think they need to be visible (ie on the table for non-shirt items), so there shouldn't be too much delay if people ask to understand what is available at the table - especially considering the sheer number of items these days.
MIB 9966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:11 PM   #4
felwred

I'm a noob in terms of tournaments - I'm curious how crazy these get for places like Gencon and Origins (I'm planning on doing the Gencon tournament this year). Is it where you sit down and it's common for someone to have 30-40 items that really throw off the game? What do you need to be competitive (beyond being a decent player)? What items would you recommend?

Fred
Old 06-28-2014, 11:14 PM   #5
Enzzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIB 9966 View Post
They are on the always allowed list, so no under most circumstances. Not quite sure now how they count under a +1 tournament situation.
I would think that they are always allowed, and they count towards your number of items. So if you have the app and sherpa, and you're playing against someone who has nothing, you can still use them. But if the lowest number at the table is 2, you could use your app, sherpa, and 1 other item.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:06 AM   #6
Trsevener

As someone who has played in tournaments at Origins and GenCon, and who has 30 - 40 items that could throw off a game, I can tell you what has happened in the past. Understand this is no guarantee about what shall happen this year.

During the past tournaments the +1 rule has been used to keep a huge amount of items from allowing someone's wallet to win a game rather than skill. Most of the tables I have played have at least one player with no promotional items. It has been very common for me to show up with a ton of stuff but only be able to use one item outside of those always allowed. This year's GenCon does have specific unlimited "Vs. MiB" games in the program guide where any and all promotional items shall be allowed, but these are outside the tournament and strictly for bragging rights and fun.

As far as a recommendation of what to bring - that is really a matter of your taste. Some items provide a combat bonus while some provide defense against curses played on you by others. A general recommendation would be to bring a few items so you have a variety available and decide when the game starts.

Indiana MIB available for demos and tournaments. Please check out my Facebook page to see what I am up to.
Trsevener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:12 AM   #7
UncleBob

This may be actually answered in the Tournament rules, but...

Let's say it's a +1 tournament and you end up being able to use three items - but you brought six.

Do you have to declare which three of the six you are going to use beforehand, or can you set all six items out and pick up to three of them as-needed?
UncleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:17 PM   #8
Enzzo

I believe you have to choose them ahead of time.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:44 AM   #9
Trsevener

The tournament rules state that all promotional items must be revealed but might be a little unclear on whether you must declare which item you are going to use.

I would suggest you consult the MiBs running the tournament before you start to be certain, unless an authorized SJ Representative replies to this thread.

Indiana MIB available for demos and tournaments. Please check out my Facebook page to see what I am up to.
Trsevener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:32 PM   #10
felwred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trsevener View Post
The tournament rules state that all promotional items must be revealed but might be a little unclear on whether you must declare which item you are going to use.

I would suggest you consult the MiBs running the tournament before you start to be certain, unless an authorized SJ Representative replies to this thread.
That's a good distinction. My thought is that the declared items would all have to be ones you could use but I can see the other interpretation as well.

Tags
app, bookmark, sherpa, tournament rules