Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-26-2012, 09:14 AM   #11
Jovus

Default Re: Opposite of Lecherousness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaran_skye View Post
I know this has been discussed before, but my search-fu has failed me.

I'm making a character who is asexual due to psychological trauma and romantic advances simply don't work.
Parthenomania, from 3rd edition. Or at least, that's a starting point.
Jovus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:29 AM   #12
Goober4473

The Sexless quirk is pretty close, but is a physical incapabiltiy rather than a mental one. I think the added benefit of not being physically strange is countered by the fact that asexuality may be considered weird by some people. Sterility is a feature anyways, so adding fertility back in shouldn't change anything.
Goober4473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:37 AM   #13
malloyd

Quote:
I'm making a character who is asexual due to psychological trauma and romantic advances simply don't work. Normally I'd call it sexual orientation and the canonical 0-point feature, but it also means they resist advances by both genders.
That part's a perk. But the particular justification, psychological trauma, *ought* to include some bad effects that should be taken as additional disadvantages. Phobia most likely, but Compulsive Behavoirs, Intolerance, Combat Paralysis, Bad Temper (with a limitation only in some kinds of situations perhaps) and Shyness could also be reasonable.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:33 AM   #14
jason taylor

Quote:
I know this has been discussed before, but my search-fu has failed me.

I'm making a character who is asexual due to psychological trauma and romantic advances simply don't work. Normally I'd call it sexual orientation and the canonical 0-point feature, but it also means they resist advances by both genders. I would just call the character Neuter, Sexless or Eunuch except that they're physically fully functional but they have a total lack of sex drive.

I'm tempted to call it either a named 0-point feature on the character sheet with the argument the negative and positive balance themselves, a Quirk in that it does limit gameplay options or even a Perk in that they're all but immune to seduction. Of course it could be all three depending on how they're played, too.
Eunech won't do. I read an observation that Eunech's did not always just feel a big brotherly attitude toward their master's concubines. Of course in a speculative fictional game there can be technological or magical counteraphrodesiacs to replace physical amputation. Maybe even(though this is a side issue) they can be effective enough to be used only on duty thus allowing palace servants to do their job and have a normal life.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:45 AM   #15
Fwibos

ON a larger note, is this so that the characeter can avoid sexual situations or so you can?

I avoid roleplaying sex in my games. I fade to black pretty quickly.

Anyway, If you are actually immune, it'd be based on Indomitable (one skill only -80%) for around 3 points IF sex appeal comes up a lot. If it doesn't occur to you that your being hit on - that's Clueless (+4 to resist sex appeal!) and maybe oblivious.

If it's a player issue, bring it up with the GM.
Word of God and Word of Kromm are pretty much the same thing in my book
Fwibos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:57 AM   #16
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwibos View Post
ON a larger note, is this so that the characeter can avoid sexual situations or so you can?

Anyway, If you are actually immune, it'd be based on Indomitable (one skill only -80%) for around 3 points IF sex appeal comes up a lot. If it doesn't occur to you that your being hit on - that's Clueless (+4 to resist sex appeal!) and maybe oblivious.

In normal usage Indomitable is indistinguishable from Strong Will. What is Gurps usage?
Old 11-26-2012, 11:36 AM   #17
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
In normal usage Indomitable is indistinguishable from Strong Will. What is Gurps usage?
In what sense? Indomitable is essentially a special case of Resistant (Immunity).
Old 11-26-2012, 12:16 PM   #18
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
It's a specific advantage, see p60 in the Basic Set.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:35 PM   #19
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indomitable; Basic set page 60
Indomitable 15 points
You are impossible to influence through ordinary words or actions. Those who wish to use Influence skills on you (see Influence Rolls, p. 359) must possess a suitable advantage: Empathy (p. 51) if you are a human or similar being, Animal Empathy (p. 40) if you’re a beast, Plant Empathy (p. 75) if you’re a plant, or Spirit Empathy (p. 88) if you’re a demon, ghost, etc. Everyone else – however convincing – fails automatically. This trait often accompanies Unfazeable (p. 95).
I'd do things like this:

Immunity to all Influence Skills [30]
Immunity to three social skills [15]
E.G: Lower class social skills (Intimidation, Sex Appeal and Streetwise)
Immunity to two social skills [10]
E.G: Upper class social skills (Diplomacy and Savoir-Faire)
Immunity to one social skill [5]
E.G: Fast-Talk

Special Limitation
Not vs. those with special insight -50%: Your Immunity or resistance doesn't work against those with the Empathy advantage or at GM discretion similar traits.

Immunity to all Influence Skills (Not vs. those with special insight -50%) [15] = Indomitable [15]

So you could have one of:

1. Immunity to Sex Appeal (Cosmic: Resists Cosmic Social Skills +50%) [8]
2. Immunity to Sex Appeal [5]
3. Immunity to Sex Appeal (Cosmic: Resists Cosmic Social Skills +50%; Not vs. those with special insight -50%) [5]
4. Immunity to Sex Appeal (Not vs. those with special insight -50%) [3]
5. Resistant to Sex Appeal +8 (Cosmic: Resists Cosmic Social Skills +50%) [3]
6. Resistant to Sex Appeal +8 [2]
7. Resistant to Sex Appeal +8 (Cosmic: Resists Cosmic Social Skills +50%; Not vs. those with special insight -50%) [2]
8. Resistant to Sex Appeal +3 (Cosmic: Resists Cosmic Social Skills +50%;) [2]
9. Resistant to Sex Appeal +3 [1]
10. Resistant to Sex Appeal +8 (Not vs. those with special insight -50%) [1]
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:29 PM   #20
panton41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwibos View Post

I'm the GM, the character is likely an NPC that might be handed to a new player if the chance comes up. It's also just as much a thought-experiment for recreating a character from fiction I write.

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lecherousness, perks