Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-17-2015, 06:24 PM   #1
scc

Default Status For Outlaws

OK, for an upcoming Banestorm game I figure that one of the character types my players are likely to run across a lot are outlaws, brigands and the like, one question I need to answer is what is the status of these guys? Are they -1, like peasants? Or -2 like slaves? Or even worse? Or do they have Status 0 with a reputation?
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:26 PM   #2
Not

Default Re: Status For Outlaws

I think they can have any status, but also have social stigma. Some versions of Robin Hood have him a noble, for example.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:26 PM   #3
Nereidalbel

I'd go with the 0 and a Reputation. Depending on their actual actions, they may even have a positive Reputation with civilians, while law enforcement wants their heads on plates.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:02 PM   #4
aesir23

"Outlaw" is sort of the standard by which all Social Stigmas are gauged. An outlaw was literally outside the law--no rights, no legal protection, and if someone decides to murder you it's perfectly legal for them to do so.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:05 PM   #5
Phantasm

Enemy (Law Enforcement) seems to be the key trait of outlaws, IMO. Effective Status tends to be 0, even if, like some depictions of Robin Hood, they have Courtesy Status 2+.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:15 PM   #6
Curmudgeon

If all you want is an approximation, I'd go with 3rd Edition's ruling. In 3rd Ed., outlaw was specifically called out as a -3 Social Stigma disadvantage for -15 points. Outlaw no longer appears as a specific listing in 4th Edition Social Stigma, but given that the specific social stigmas that are called out are mentioned as some examples (B155 paragraph prior to first example in second column) and given that the point values for Second-Class Citizen and Valuable Property are unchanged in point value and reaction penalty from 3rd Edition, I'd go with that.

As far as actual Social Status goes, it wouldn't change from whatever it was prior to being declared an outlaw, with one possible exception. A noble (whether minor [gentlemen, knights and baronets] or major [barons and above]) might have been subject to attainder prior to being declared an outlaw, which would drop him to freeman status at best.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 03-18-2015 at 12:24 AM.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:36 PM   #7
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
"Outlaw" is sort of the standard by which all Social Stigmas are gauged. An outlaw was literally outside the law--no rights, no legal protection, and if someone decides to murder you it's perfectly legal for them to do so.
Do they still use outlawry in the setting?
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:55 PM   #8
GoldenMonkey

It probably also depends on what they're outlawed for and what the penalties are for their crimes. Wealthy pensioners who the government would like to collect back taxes on are a little different than chainsaw hobos who like to dismember school children.

If it's not obvious that they're outlaws by their dress, speech, equipment, etc. then I would let them keep their original status and just give them the appropriate Disadvantages (like Enemies). If "outlaw" has a distinct meaning in the world, like "all outlaws are wandering vagabonds in the area of the Storm Sea" then it should have its own associated Status ranking.
GoldenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:35 PM   #9
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenMonkey View Post
It probably also depends on what they're outlawed for and what the penalties are for their crimes. Wealthy pensioners who the government would like to collect back taxes on are a little different than chainsaw hobos who like to dismember school children.

If it's not obvious that they're outlaws by their dress, speech, equipment, etc. then I would let them keep their original status and just give them the appropriate Disadvantages (like Enemies). If "outlaw" has a distinct meaning in the world, like "all outlaws are wandering vagabonds in the area of the Storm Sea" then it should have its own associated Status ranking.
I'm thinking more murder-hobos, the sort who ambush travelers on county roads and take everything they own, or at least everything valuable. The first adventure/encounter will be rescuing a 'merchant' who was captured by some bandits and the merchant will make a mistake and the party will find out they weren't exactly working for who they thought they were
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:50 PM   #10
GoldenMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
I'm thinking more murder-hobos, the sort who ambush travelers on county roads and take everything they own, or at least everything valuable. The first adventure/encounter will be rescuing a 'merchant' who was captured by some bandits and the merchant will make a mistake and the party will find out they weren't exactly working for who they thought they were
So are they hereditary outlaws, like a nomadic tribe or something? Or were they otherwise promising members of society who, through some misfortune, wound up waylaying merchants on the side of the road?

Would a random person talking to them think, "hmm, these must be some of those infamous bandits I keep hearing about" or would they think "this fellow seems to be from one of the middling-prosperous trades families in the south"?
GoldenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
banestorm, status