Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 01-22-2015, 03:48 PM   #151
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Monster Hunters: Justice (OCC)

leaving it as is should be fine

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:59 PM   #152
the_matrix_walker

I added Autohypnosis and a level of the Mystic Talent for skills.

I decided against changing the Vulnerability... He'll be fine without the Power Talent.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 01:09 AM   #153
Lamech

I have GRE's tomorrow so I need to sleep, but I did start tapping up rituals.
Spoiler:  

Going for a slightly Norse Flavor
Hiriko
Andrew
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 06:58 AM   #154
Talosian

(Heads up, I'm gonna start underlining key items that need to be seen or answered. Otherwise things get drowned in the mega responses.)

Quote:
Yeah, this isn't quite raw, but I needed a low reliability and a high skill. I think it should come out fair -- his failures should be unrelated to how hard the request is.
Shiny, sounds good.
Quote:
Contact group is 10 (its doesn't get the limitations), and I forgot to count elastic skin as an alternate.
D'oh. I was super confused for a bit because I wasn't applying limitations to Contact Group, but I kept getting 8. What happened is that the way GCS handles Contact Groups is off, since it doesn't know to do the group multiplier after calculating a value. It had 1.5 * 5 = 7.5 (round to 8) instead of rounding 1.5 up to 2, then multiplying by five. Dur hur hur. All good now.
Quote:
Steel will count, but with a lesser effect. Electronic gadgets won't do squat. Many guns will -- though with effort he can get one that won't. large building frames might be a pain.
Oh, bother. Okay, if steel will be an issue, than I'll swap his knives to titanium (and just pretend that there's no iron in titanium alloys) . I don't think there's rules for titanium firearms, so I'll need a ruling on price for that (I'll assume +1 CF, like melee weapons for now). I guess invisible bank robberies are out, alas.
Quote:
I was thinking more that having once had the position is impressive and marks him as an upper level fae. Changing it to spirit empathy is fine, but specializing in all fae is too broad. Trickster Fae, Near fae, or high fae are valid though.
Alright, I think I will swap it for Spirit Empathy (Trickster Fae). I figure that brownies and most trickster fae don't care about what authority Brown held (if they cared in the first place), and most other fae are unlikely to respect a (former) self-proclaimed trickster king.
-
Okay, I have my basically final version done. Lots of minor details have changed, but the most important changes are summarized below:

I needed to do something with the disadvantage points I had left over from the removal of his negative Status, Social Stigma, and Duty, so I rebalanced his disads slightly, and added Delusion (Brown is my Ally) and Enemy (Elven Lord).

I added Delusion because Brown has had years to absolutely bend Jack to his will. Jack knows that Brown is dangerous and would happily cause him problems, but he firmly believes that Brown harbors no actual malice towards him. This means that when Brown tells Jack something about fae or faerie, he'll likely believe him, even if his personal knowledge of the fae contradicts Brown. It also means that Jack is likely to be blindsided by anything especially nasty Brown does, and that he probably won't see Brown's escape coming (and certainly won't expect Brown to come after him).

I ended up going with the version of Jack that has seen and interacted with more of faerie, and the Elven Lord Enemy is one of the ideas that came out of that. The rough concept I have is that Jack was gallivanting around the Elven Court making mischief, and (encouraged by Brown) pulled off a major trick on this Elven Lord, which resulted in significant public embarrassment (alternatively, or in addition, he could have stolen something*. He does that a lot). Jack was seen or otherwise connected to the crime, but didn't initially realize that he'd been found out. After an initial encounter (and escape) or two, Jack realized that he'd made a huge mistake, and he started looking for help. I like this subplot because it gives Jack a direct reason to be coming to a city with other Monster Hunters, and to make allies of them. It also adds some depth to Jack's backstory. I'm not 100% sure if this will work out with your plans, so I've left the details deliberately open ended, and I can definitely remold, recycle, or scrap this if necessary.

*I turned all of Jack's fancy knives into a point of signature gear for convenience, and my 4:00 am brain suggested that Jack had stolen his silverware. I can't decide if this is my best or worst idea ever.

Jack is also getting Conscious Dual Nature. No big surprise here, though, as the idea is super cool.

The only other change that I think needs to be deliberately brought up is that I gave Jack Dual Weapon Attack (it wasn't meant to rhyme, I swear) for his knives. I'm not sure if this will be alright or not (Dual Weapon Attack is fairly yes-no-maybe about its own cinematic-ness), but it's extremely easy to change if it's an issue. The reason I added this is because I realized that I needed to do something to boost Jack's damage potential, or his knives weren't going to work out so well in actual combat (even so, I anticipate that he will spend a great deal of time stabbing things in the eyes). This seemed like the most character-consistent way to make that change.

(Current version of my sheet is up on page 13. Any necessary tweaks shouldn't interfere with starting the game.)
-

Quote:
Mr. H is pretty hard to tick off (UNfazeable) and your annoying but not the serious threat to free will and humanity he is focused on. After all if you trick someone they still have a choice. So probably go with heard or had a minor crossing of paths in the past that neither really thinks about.
Oh yeah. Humm... Okay, how about we say that they briefly met previously, and Jack tried to goad and harass him into a reaction, but Mr. H ignored him until he left. It can be an ongoing goal for Jack to get an emotional response from him XD
Quote:
matrix, Talosian: Talosian put it well. He'll probably try to find a cure, and be surprised and angry if they don't seem interested in it.
Which definitely won't go over well with Jack, as he has rather acclimated to his situation. Let's have them meet for the first time in play, so that we can watch this drama unfold from the beginning.

Matrix & Lamech: Commentary on character relationships? <nudge nudge, wink wink> (I made some general suggestion a page or two back, if you missed it.)
Old 01-23-2015, 07:18 AM   #155
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talosian View Post
Oh yeah. Humm... Okay, how about we say that they briefly met previously, and Jack tried to goad and harass him into a reaction, but Mr. H ignored him until he left. It can be an ongoing goal for Jack to get an emotional response from him XD
Sounds good, builds some rp potential in there
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:38 AM   #156
Lamech

Spoiler:  

Here is the spell list in full. Yeah ideas!
Spoiler:  

Now I just need to figure out some armour and the equipment is done.

And I'll look at it tonight.
Hiriko
Andrew
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:38 AM   #157
the_matrix_walker

I could see Marcus having worked with any of the other PC's on previous hunts.

The Hermit: I could definitely see them as friends, and would like it if it could be pre-established that the Hermit is an ally and his current "Ritual Guy" when he needs one.

Jack Brown: I could see them being friends if the pranks were minimal... If he seriously pranks Marcus hard enough for him to lose his temper, Marcus is likely to suck the brownie out of him.

Randal Kane: Share a love for the hunt! I could see them back to back taking out vamp nests ;)

Brother Man: Has an intolerance for "his kind" so not much chance of a close relationship there, though he might be quite interested in how Marcus can seemingly turn monsters into mortals! I could envision him seeking Marcus out for that reason.

Lara Knight: It would be cool to know her as an occasional contact and fellow hunter.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:37 PM   #158
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

PC Roster:

Hermit:
stats
spells, standard spells

Marcus Savage:
stats
gear
background
description of sense

Randal Kane:
sheet
story first draft
complete sheet
insider contacts
final sheet

Brother Manuel Prys:
initial Draft
potential allies
background
gear

Laura Night:
fluff(old)
stats(old)
newer draft
spells
more spells

Jack Brown:
sheet
template Proposal

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 03-05-2015 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:06 PM   #159
the_matrix_walker

I had plenty of cash left, so I have upgraded his Esoteric Medicine kit to Fine quality. I hope there is no objection...

If anyone needs some grimiore cash, I'll happily buy them books for spells that will benefit the group.

I highly recommend one of our casters do a damage boosting spell. +4 damage becomes +2 per die, which would help anyone and make Marcus' crazy damage go into the truly ridiculous range when using Flying Leap or Power Blow.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:49 PM   #160
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Talosian:
Enemy is fine. Delusion is excellent. Dual weapon attack fine. +1 CF for titanium fire arms is solid. don't discount invisible bank robberies just yet: a well placed illusion can hide the part where you duck in and out of the safe. Using the elven Lord's stolen silverware is a great idea. The empathy is a great idea.

Lamech Spell comments:

You probably shouldn't be boosting attributes with altered traits. You should be bestowing bonuses (HP and FP should use altered traits though). In the case of Inspiration it would be three broad bonuses, plus the altered traits. This spell can only give +1 without becoming a greater effect though, and can't add HP or FP -- though that can be done with a lesser strengthen body. weight is not included in the spell, as its a mental spell, not a physical one. Brilliance needs the bestow a bonus build and can loose the weight as well, as is a legal spell otherwise.

Terrify II is illegal due to the 'stacking spells' rule, though you could bestow a penalty or do something else to make it more effective.

The angel spell should include lesser strengthen energy. Otherwise its good.

Beserker needs a lesser restore body to use the absorption, and a lesser control magic to select where the power goes. Without the control magic first HP, then FP, then ER and RPM energy reserves are restored.

The other spells look good.

Tags
ghostly movement