Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-06-2012, 10:48 AM   #11
Randyman

Default Re: Settings for DF

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
Another two:

Postapocalyptic

The world was great.... that times over.

Now the survivors eke out their existence; they scavenge old cities full of monsters and try to rebuild their world one gold piece at a time.
Gamma World, anyone?

And, quite frankly, there have been ruminations that the default setting assumptions for D&D (the primary genre source for DF) are exactly this, only the pre-apocalyptic civilization wasn't necessarily "modern Earth".

"(GURPS) isn't a game but a toolkit for building games, and the GM needs to use it intelligently" - Kromm
Randyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:43 PM   #12
Stripe

It's GURPS Dungeon Fantasy -- the usual generic hodgepodge of Tolkein/D&D/Warhammer with some spice from the various authors' imaginations will work well.

But, a setting now is like putting the cart before the horse. SJG should just keep putting out supplements like DFM1 and DFA1 -- we are lucky just to get those. No need to have a setting world book when we only have one monster book and one dungeon and no word on any others of either kind.

Now, if SJG planned an Adventure Path, like they have for Pathfinder and D&D, then yes, a setting would be nice.
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #13
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
But, a setting now is like putting the cart before the horse. SJG should just keep putting out supplements like DFM1 and DFA1 -- we are lucky just to get those. No need to have a setting world book when we only have one monster book and one dungeon and no word on any others of either kind.
I am not asking for a setting book. I was talking about settings that I like. Noone else in this thread has suggested anything of the sort.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:07 PM   #14
Stripe

Ah, yes. I barely read the thread. It's a topic that surfaces often.
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #15
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
Hyperborea
The ice enfolds all, except those of us kept warm by the hidden sun of the Hollow Earth....
Awesome. I'm seriously considering stealing this one next time I want to run a fantasy campaign.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:48 PM   #16
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Dennis
The "Common" language that characters know by default is openly called English. The only real-world religion to exist in the setting is Vatican II-flavor Catholicism. The population consists of the descendants of 20th-century Earth fantasy RPG nerds; the world's natural magic allowed the populations to diverge more wildly than is possible in the real world (I.E., all PC races have human ancestry).

Narrative Causality forces the world to behave in accord with The Rules. This is why there's still treasure in old tombs that would logically have been robbed long ago, among other things.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:13 AM   #17
Astromancer

THE NEW LANDS

It doesn't matter how they got there. They could travel across oceans to another continent, across the skies to another world, or through a GATE to who knows where. The point is that a group of people have moved into a new land. Those that lived in this land before left strange underground cities, they must be explored and their secrets discovered!

There's a wild west/ Icelandic republic/Greenland/Virginia out there. The right goodies or knowledge from the ancient cities could make a man or woman a Monarch! The cities themselves might be salvagable! High stakes and bigger risks!

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:40 AM   #18
robertsconley

You can download my hex crawl setting Blackmarsh and adapt it easily for GURPS Dungeon Fantasy.

Quote:
In the days when man knew only the working of stone and fought for their existence against the orc and the goblin, the sky turned to ash and down fell the fiery mountain onto the land. The world tore open and the grey waters rushed in. Those who survived the impact were lost as boiling clouds rushed out in all directions leaving a wasteland in its wake.
http://www.batintheattic.com/downloa...kmarsh_srd.zip

I dual licensed it under creative commons and the OGL so people are free to post any modification or adaptation for GURPS. Provided of course they stay within SJ Games On-line policy.

Note: The setting has a substance called viz. In GURPS, 1 viz would be a a one time use only 1 point powerstone.
robertsconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:53 AM   #19
ClayDowling

I was going to suggest the Blackmarsh setting myself. There's not much there, in exactly the right way to be useful for a campaign setting. A map with a little history and a little politics and a whole lot of potential.

The other obvious world to use is Yrth, from Banestorm. The templates that ship with it aren't exactly DF scaled, but it was designed with traditional Tolkien and D&D inspired fantasy in mind. It also helps that there are at least five adventures published for the setting.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:18 AM   #20
Flyndaran
Untagged

I like the post-apocalyptic idea.
Maybe the disaster was a demonic incursion that mortals barely won. But in some hidden areas small nascent portals still exist that must be destroyed lest the war start anew. These portals act as monster magnets.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, gurps, settings