Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 05-27-2012, 01:33 AM   #11
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Default Re: The Octagon Case: Black Ops and MMA

I picked up a theme from a previous case and had some suspiciously impossible miracle recoveries i.e. combatants returning to the ring a year after suffering incapacitating central nervous system damage. One of the players turned out to be much more current on MMA rules than I was and caught some technical gaffes like finger locks being acceptable, but other than that I struggled along.

Thanks to all who contributed, several suggestions were partially adapted to my admittedly quirky continuity.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:06 AM   #12
Jovus

So tell us what happened?
Jovus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:44 PM   #13
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

They entered a CombatOp and a SecOp in the rookie division of the Asian Unlimited Martial Arts League's regional tournament in Tel Aviv, with another SecOp and a ScienceOp posed as coach and trainer-medic. The SecOp KO'd his first opponent in the first seconds with a flying jump kick to the face, and folded over his second opponent just about as fast with a plain vanilla kick to the abdomen. His cover was challenged when the clips began to run in heavy rotation on the jumbotrons and a flack from Al Jazeera pestered him to license the clips, saying they would make him the the new "Agony of Defeat" guy.

The CombatOp won his first bout but suffered a major neck injury from a wheel kick; Company resources repaired most of the damage and allowed him to continue after the tournament doctors examined the garish put superficial remaining trauma. His second bout against a wrist lock monster (Judo-21, double jointed, CR, no visible neck, and a gland condition that made his sweat horribly slippery) was a technical loss:a flurry of uppercuts saturated No-Neck's defenses and a critical hit left him with a serious face injury and almost no vision.
No-Neck began to retreat and turn to avoid backing out of the ring while all-out defending and trying to clear his eyes of blood and sweat (oops). The Combat Op noticed that he had misjudged his retreat and was standing just a few inches from the border of the octagon. He pressed the attack but No-Neck parried and wrist-locked him, and went for the submission by inflicting pain. (I did not reveal if it was pain or injury at the time.) The Combat-Op struggled to resist and kept striking with the other hand but was easily parried each time.
No-Neck decided submission was just not coming and Judo Throw-d the Combat Op out of the ring. It turned out the CombatOp had been feinting and was able to countergrab No-Neck and bring him down with. After the Instant Replay showed the Combat Op's elbow touching the floor outside the ring before any part of No-Neck did, the judges awarded the match to No-Neck by a 2-1 decision.

All the rookie spectacle let the coach and trainer surreptitiously mind-probe and T-ray scan a couple of the miraculous recovery beneficiaries in the stands. They had both spent their comatose periods in the medical warehouses in Michigan and had months of physical therapy at the same center in Edmonton. To be continued....

Old 05-28-2012, 04:53 PM   #14
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
They entered a CombatOp and a SecOp in the rookie division of the Asian Unlimited Martial Arts League's regional tournament in Tel Aviv . . . To be continued....
Jeff, this is some nice work. I love Black Ops in both the uber- and semi-realistic (from DF-level to MH-level) incarnations, and this is a perfect episode.

As a side-note, I wish my upcoming book had been available for your no-neck grappler. I think you'd have fun with some of the concepts therein, and the narrative detail they allow.
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:27 AM   #15
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Jeff, this is some nice work. I love Black Ops in both the uber- and semi-realistic (from DF-level to MH-level) incarnations, and this is a perfect episode.

As a side-note, I wish my upcoming book had been available for your no-neck grappler. I think you'd have fun with some of the concepts therein, and the narrative detail they allow.
Thank you for the kind words. I had the playtest ms, but this was a mixed group of players new to 4th edition and those to new to GURPS entirely, and I'm not quite done introducing them to all the basic forms of combat yet. I kept many of the precepts in mind, and I hope to work in some of the minutia in capers yet to come.

Tags
black ops, bloodsports