Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-09-2012, 06:51 PM   #11
aesir23

Default Re: Damage from Removing Impaling Weapons

Don't forget to reference "What is a Rapid Strike" in MA.

Twisting or draw-cutting with a weapon while pulling it out can be the second part of a rapid strike, doing full damage for the weapon.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #12
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
Don't forget to reference "What is a Rapid Strike" in MA.

Twisting or draw-cutting with a weapon while pulling it out can be the second part of a rapid strike, doing full damage for the weapon.
Tangential to that, would you allow a Rapid Strike to be used to strike with a pick and pull it out in one second? Presumably the second "attack" would just use the rules for Stuck Picks (ie, ST roll instead of to-hit, inflicts 1/2 of previous injury.) Or should it use the normal attack rules, since you're already rolling at a steep penalty?
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #13
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
Tangential to that, would you allow a Rapid Strike to be used to strike with a pick and pull it out in one second? Presumably the second "attack" would just use the rules for Stuck Picks (ie, ST roll instead of to-hit, inflicts 1/2 of previous injury.) Or should it use the normal attack rules, since you're already rolling at a steep penalty?
We just covered a bunch of stuff like this in another thread on grappling. Canonically, Picks, p. B405 is pretty explicit about this. You take a Ready, not an attack, on your next turn.

Because the ST roll to free the pick is a Ready, it technically cannot be part of Rapid Strike, which pretty much only allows attacks and things like Feint masquerading as attacks.

There are two potential "house rules" to amend this:

1) You can free a pick by making a ST roll on your next MANEUVER. So if you have Altered Time Rate, p. B38, you can attack with the pick on one maneuver, and free it on another. This really says that unless you're preternaturally fast, you get to wait until the next second like any other schlub.

2) You can free a pick by making a ST roll on your next attack, and this means that unless the GM says "you must AoA(Double) to do this" you could combine it with Rapid Strike, free it with Extra Attack, etc.

3) One possibility for the above is to make the ST roll to free it a Quick Contest against the MinST of the pick. Might make it a bit harder, since you have to beat both your ST level and a bit of random chance.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:13 PM   #14
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
We just covered a bunch of stuff like this in another thread on grappling. Canonically, Picks, p. B405 is pretty explicit about this. You take a Ready, not an attack, on your next turn.

Because the ST roll to free the pick is a Ready, it technically cannot be part of Rapid Strike, which pretty much only allows attacks and things like Feint masquerading as attacks.

There are two potential "house rules" to amend this:

1) You can free a pick by making a ST roll on your next MANEUVER. So if you have Altered Time Rate, p. B38, you can attack with the pick on one maneuver, and free it on another. This really says that unless you're preternaturally fast, you get to wait until the next second like any other schlub.

2) You can free a pick by making a ST roll on your next attack, and this means that unless the GM says "you must AoA(Double) to do this" you could combine it with Rapid Strike, free it with Extra Attack, etc.

3) One possibility for the above is to make the ST roll to free it a Quick Contest against the MinST of the pick. Might make it a bit harder, since you have to beat both your ST level and a bit of random chance.
I do like #2 there. And because you've got a -6 Rapid Strike penalty, this'll make it a tactic for Weapon Masters and Barbarians. Most people would have to use All-Out to have a chance of success. Basing it on MinST of the pick makes sense too... I never liked how removing a pick didn't take into account weapon damage.

Okay, thanks for indulging my tangent.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:20 PM   #15
Lorka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanuman47 View Post
Are there rules for the damage dealt by removing arrows and similar projectiles? I've been scanning through Characters, Campaigns, and Low Tech and all I can find is a reference in Low Tech to barbed arrows doing half the damage the inflicted going in when they come out. Are there more general rules somewhere that I'm missing?

By the way, what's at stake here is that the one long-time hold-out on GURPS in my game group may be finally coming round because of the realistic injury that GURPS supports. We generally play more cinematic games and haven't used a lot of the more detailed rules, but I'm trying to convince him that this is what he's looking for for a more realistic campaign.

Thanks for any help the GURPS community can provide!
There sort of is an implicit rule somewhere that you need surgery to remove an arrow and also there is rules for minor surgery (what I would use if I wanted that level of realism) ... I think there are extended low tech surgery rules in Low Tech extra pdf thing number 1 is that is the one called something like Philosophers and Kings, mostly modifiers on not holding still, but also gives some examples on the type of injury you get from the surgery so it should maybe be something like having a tooth pulled or maybe less serious than that even.
Lorka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arrow wounds, damage type, harsh realism, injury