Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-01-2012, 07:15 PM   #1
Grunker

Default Help needed with leveled powers

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of updating my GURPS: The Witcher project. Mainly, I'm in process of creating "signs" - Witcher-specific powers. I understand the basics of making powers in GURPS, but there are a few things I'm not that familiar with. I'll come with an example of a sign later, but first, the basics:

1) The signs would only be available to witchers. Therefore, I've decided to make a "buy-in" advantage called Sign Aptitude which costs 15 points. All this does is allow you to buy powers. Is this too much? Should it be "free" to be allowed to buy powers even though the rules suggest only one Witcher per play group?

2) As the topic states, the powers need to be leveled. So, you start buying one version of a power (the level 1 version for all intents and purposes), then you buy level 2 and so on. Is there a way this is normally done (look below for how I tackled it)?

Okay, so the way I've done it is to calculate the base power's cost. That's the cost of the level 1 power. To buy the level 2 power, you only pay for the difference in cost between the points you already paid for the level 1 power and the total cost of the level 2 power. So if the base power cost 10 points, and the base cost of the level 2 power would be 20, you pay 10 points for the level 2 power (but must buy the level 1 version first).

In effect, you "upgrade" the power, but are still able to use earlier versions (see below).

Maybe it is more easily explained by an example:

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Aard
Aard is a powerful sign that unleashes crushing invisible energy to knock over enemies, push over debris or similar. The Witcher unleashes a mighty gust of wind that hammers against the target of the cone this sign produces, with a thundering boom. Aard utters a loud boom whenever it is used, making it painfully obvious where it originated.

Level 1:
Base Advantage: Innate Attack (Crushing) level 1
Enhancements: Double Knockback, Malediction (Will vs. HT to hit), Cone (2 meters)
Limitations: Costs FP to Use (1FP per use), No Wounding, Nuissance Effect (Obvious)
Point cost: 11 points
Level 2
Base Advantage: Innate Attack (Crushing) level 2
Enhancements: Double Knockback, Malediction (Will vs. HT to hit), Cone (2 meters)
Limitations: Costs FP to Use (2FP per use), No Wounding, Nuissance Effect (Obvious)
Level 3:
Base Advantage: Innate Attack (Crushing) level 3
Enhancements: Double Knockback, Malediction (Will vs. HT to hit), Cone (3 meters)
Limitations: Costs FP to Use (3FP per use), No Wounding, Nuissance Effect (Obvious)
Point cost: 12 points
Level 4:
Base Advantage: Innate Attack (Crushing) level 4
Enhancements: Double Knockback, Malediction (Will vs. HT to hit), Cone (3 meters)
Limitations: Costs FP to Use (4FP per use), No Wounding, Nuissance Effect (Obvious)
Level 5:
Base Advantage: Innate Attack (Crushing) level 5
Enhancements: Double Knockback, Malediction (Will vs. HT to hit), Cone (4 meters)
Limitations: Costs FP to Use (5FP per use), No Wounding, Nuissance Effect (Obvious)
Point cost: 12 points
---------------------------------------------------------------------

The idea is that it should be legal for the player to use any version of the power he has acquired (a player with Aard level 3 could choose to use the level 1 version to conserve FP, for example). This modularity off-sets the cost of the 15-point "buy-in" a bit as I see it.

Anyway, I would really appreciate some comments, not only on the stuff I asked about but also any other errors I might have made :)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Grunker; 01-01-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Grunker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adaptation, fantasy