Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-03-2012, 09:47 AM   #1
Figleaf23
Banned

Default [Speculation] GURPS 4.5e

I've heard no rumours or discussion of a GURPS 4.5e.

But let's ruminate speculatively -- if there were a plan for a GURPS 4.5e, what fixes or adjustments would you propose or expect.

Remember, this is for a theoretical 4.5, not 5e, so no major system overhauls or philosophical changes, just bit modifications or fixes that can be done discretely.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:49 AM   #2
tjmiller07

Default Re: [Speculation] GURPS 4.5e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post

But let's ruminate speculatively -- if there were a plan for a GURPS 4.5e, what fixes or adjustments would you propose or expect.

Remember, this is for a theoretical 4.5, not 5e, so no major system overhauls or philosophical changes, just bit modifications or fixes that can be done discretely.
You can find a topic similar to this here.

-Josep Brewer

......(\_/)
......( '_')
..../""""""""""""\====░ ▒▓▓█D
/"""""""""""""""""""\
\_@_@_@_@_@_/
tjmiller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:32 AM   #3
nanoboy

There are not very many changes that I would suggest, but here they are:

Fix the random hit location table such that groin is not hit so often or simply change groin into abdomen and rework the rules for abdomen/groin shots.

Fix scaling of weapons such that it is more universal and contained in the core book.

Fix the default magic system, as many spells are poorly adapted to 4E. Note that I never use it anymore, as the alternate systems seem to work better for things, depending on the setting. For example, magic-as-powers works really well for straight-up predefined spellcasting, and syntactic magic and realms magic work well for on-the-fly stuff.
nanoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:08 AM   #4
Mailanka

There's a lot of wonkiness with Affliction, IMO, and several other advantages that should be repriced, like Restoration and Unaging.

And I think there have been some changes to techniques that could be folded back into the core book.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:24 AM   #5
Refplace

Repricing certain advantages.
Assess a penalty to do things while grappled rather then make it impossible.
Fix scaling.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #6
Rasputin

A more consistent ST damage table where average damage per point of ST is more constant.
A better way of handling blunt trauma.
Armor and weapon weights from Low-Tech. Hiking rules from High-Tech.
Sizing rules for equipment. Relative size affecting attack rolls made explicit.
Infinite Worlds chapter ditched for a little bit more equipment. Computer rules in the main text. A few example poisons and diseases. Trap rules from DF2 with examples.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #7
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Fixing Affliction, so that it is worth the expense to purchase more than one level. Perhaps simply by giving a -2 penalty to the resistance roll for each additional level of Affliction, rather than -1 as per RAW.

Splitting out Beneficial Affliction a sits own Advantage, with its own mechanics and structure.

Blessed (Heroic Feats) generalized into a self-buff Advantage.

Cannot Wear Armour as a Limitation is kinda dubious.

I'd like to see Distinctive Feature become worth slightly more points, and be less obsessed about a direct roll-affecting game-mechanical effect. Hero System works fine without its DF being all about plusses and minuses, for instance.

Talents re-done, so that they always deal with function-performing, and never represent inborn expertise at interacting with certain categories of objects, such as e.g. Green Thumb.

More talk about how Talent can be put to alternate uses, such as representing supernatural abilities or gifts, instead of an inborn function-performing gift, and also how such Talents can then have Limitations. The RAW is actually fine here. It's just that these possibilities need to be talked about in the core book.

DX and IQ raised to 25 CP/level. Right now DX or IQ costs the same as 5 plateau'ed skills. With a small cost increase, DX or IQ would cost slightly more than 6 plateau'ed skills.

Talk about GMs giving ad hoc modifiers (penalties or bonuses) to SCR rolls for mental disads, according to how strong or weak the stimulus or temptation is.

Oh yeah, Signature Gear fixed. It's stupidly broken as is, and numeous stomachable solutions have been proposed by a variety of people.

Two things I'd really like to see is to get Limited Use (uses per day) changed from a Limitation into a divisive cost modifier, because -40% for one use per day is just not enough at all, and increasing it to -60% or so has problems of its own. Also get Healing generalized so that there can be RAW-legal slow-acting versions of it, wher the healed HP arrives slowly at intervals of seconds, minutes or even tens of minutes.

Probably more to come on a later post.

From what I've read in here, the designers didn't have sufficient time to get everything right, and so 4E shipped with some of its subsystems crappily designed. The example I remember is Afflictions, but there may be others.

Last edited by Peter Knutsen; 07-03-2012 at 01:40 PM. Reason: added a "then" to clarify. Changed an erroneous "less" to "more".
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:59 PM   #8
Astromancer

Quote:

Can't the Power-Ups series provide a nice thick file of alternitive rules and the logic of how to use them? Why go for a 4.5 until we've all played around with the ideas and possibilities for awhile.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:02 PM   #9
Jeffr0

Power Ups PDF's + Alternate GURPS Pyramid issues = Win

I love this stuff.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:59 PM   #10
LemmingLord

I must say I am irritated about power ups. While they are neat, they go against the main rule about adding new advantages "if no one would possibly be without the advantage, it is probably too cheap."

I would like to see a 4.5 upgraded main set to include some of these power ups and a long discussion of what points really mean.. which I understand is a subject found in one of the power ups.. :D

Tags
4.5e, new skill, speculation