Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 10-24-2018, 07:18 PM   #1
TippetsTX

Default TFT Campaign Ideas

So what is everyone's plans for their kick-off campaign setting? I know some of you have been running TFT for quite awhile but its been a 30+ year hiatus for me. Since the return of TFT was announced, however, I've been thinking a lot about running a metropolitan city-based fantasy campaign because I've never done that before. I've used cities in other games of course, but never as the primary setting.

This got me thinking about Monte Cook's Ptolus setting... I've always wanted to run it, but never did because we were always playing on Faerun (D&D) or Golarian (Pathfinder), occasionally the Lost Lands (Frog God Games). I think it would be easy to adapt since the vast majority of the material is system-agnostic. It also seems like the tone would fit TFT quite well.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:14 PM   #2
larsdangly

Default Re: TFT Campaign Ideas

I'm a month or so into a fresh campaign set in an old TFT setting of mine that I started re-organizing and expanding last summer. The basic idea is a sprawling, complex city of many districts, under which is a complex of sewers and interconnected dungeons of roughly 1000 rooms in size, and a nearby volcanic plateau that entombs a cyclopean ruin of a very ancient city, with a surface decorated by several dozen small dungeons, forts, etc. created by the nasties that now live in the desolate landscape. Plus a few other details. It is basically a massively complicated sandbox. Most of our sessions start without a plan, other than continuing whatever nonsense the players were up to the session before. It's been a glorious few weeks so far; just a lot of fun.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:23 PM   #3
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
I'm a month or so into a fresh campaign set in an old TFT setting of mine that I started re-organizing and expanding last summer. The basic idea is a sprawling, complex city of many districts, under which is a complex of sewers and interconnected dungeons of roughly 1000 rooms in size, and a nearby volcanic plateau that entombs a cyclopean ruin of a very ancient city, with a surface decorated by several dozen small dungeons, forts, etc. created by the nasties that now live in the desolate landscape. Plus a few other details. It is basically a massively complicated sandbox. Most of our sessions start without a plan, other than continuing whatever nonsense the players were up to the session before. It's been a glorious few weeks so far; just a lot of fun.
Very cool. Ptolus shares many of those same elements.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:56 PM   #4
larsdangly

Thanks! I'm the first to admit that the basic architecture of the place isn't original - the huge adventure land is a pumped up version of Runequest's Big Rubble; the city itself is Lhankmar meets Thieves World meets every city in every Conan book; the dungeon beneath the Raj's castle is a ~200 room version of Death Test. But it feels creative because all the details emerge during play rather than being planned out.

Expert hack: these days it is surprisingly easy to get the bones of such a campaign put together yourself. Over the last several years I've swapped out most of my old hand made maps (which had tons of gaps because I have a job other than writing dungeons!), and replaced them with a massive ensemble of Dyson's Delves maps, which I drop into a graphics program and modify to meet my needs. The result is that a surprisingly large sandbox space is mapped to a surprisingly great depth of detail, so players can literally go anywhere and try anything and I'll have a concrete answer for them. The stocking is trickier because you have to use your brain; there I'm relying on a ton of old NPCs and encounter tables Ive made over years. There are so many of them, many with some history of use in prior games, so it is pretty easy to ad lib. And once you get used to doing that you really don't need to pre stock much.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:17 AM   #5
the1weasel

I <3 custom encounter tables. Also <3 them in excel using randbetween and lookups to produce stocking-on-demand. From there, if I use it enough, migrate the logic to the application I’m building (.NET Windows desktop app—nothing super fancy to look at but the back end has some good core elements. )
Old 10-25-2018, 09:12 AM   #6
The Wyzard

I'm working on a campaign set in an alternate-universe 1970s UK, focusing on the children of Jen Mnoren.
The Wyzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:22 AM   #7
Terquem

I have this little idea for doing a dungeon crawl, something very "classic" but then the characters discover that the "dungeon" environment is in greater danger from a different threat and must decide to either abandon their original quest, or work with some of the dungeon denizens to save the dungeon itself.
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:33 AM   #8
larsdangly

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wyzard View Post
I'm working on a campaign set in an alternate-universe 1970s UK, focusing on the children of Jen Mnoren.
Groovy! Sounds very 'Jerry Cornelius'
Old 10-25-2018, 11:01 AM   #9
The Wyzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
Groovy! Sounds very 'Jerry Cornelius'
That’s actually one of the things I am reading for inspiration!
The Wyzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:59 AM   #10
malchidael

Thirty years ago, the mighty Ogrelord reigned terror over the borderlands; finally, he was beaten back and destroyed by the Knights of the Order of the Star.

One month ago, an army of Orcs, Goblins, Hobgoblins and Ogres, bearing the banner of the Ogrelord charged through the Borderlands, taking the Keep and the nearby village. Survivors fled to a series of abandoned caves to the northeast, where they are trying to regroup and defend themselves against raiders from the Keep, and protect themselves from the horrors still dwelling deep in the caves.

Yes, a reversed "Keep on the Borderlands", with the Village of Hommlet being the nearby village that was also overrun. Because, why not?

(The Ogrelord was a foe in a campaign one of my brothers ran for another sibling; I thought it would be nifty to bring him back (technically, a descendant, as the original Ogrelord was defeated)
malchidael is offline   Reply With Quote