Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

View Poll Results: Physical TFT Components We'd Like to See Offered
Boxes 1 2.94%
Counters (Dark-background versions of existing sets) 8 23.53%
Counters (Monsters & Animals) 24 70.59%
Dice 4 11.76%
Folders 1 2.94%
Journals 2 5.88%
Megahexes 15 44.12%
Megahex Garage 9 26.47%
Playmats 13 38.24%
Spell & Talent Cards 18 52.94%
Trap/Treasure/Encounter Cards 13 38.24%
Other (please explain in your reply) 10 29.41%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-28-2019, 02:19 PM   #41
Fred Skin

Default Re: Physical TFT Components We'd Like to See Offered

Full color counters & non-dungeon playmats
Fred Skin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 06:31 PM   #42
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plambeck View Post
I assume the profit margin can be higher selling pdf downloads without the company having to print and box anything.
This can be a complex answer.

Obviously a (say) $20 PDF has a marginal cost of zero. Each sale brings in $20 (unless it's bundled, or sold through someone else's channel).

A physical item for that will tend to have a retail price of $30-50, depending on the company in question's strategy, or strategy for that line. "Physical priced at double PDF cost" is not unusual, so if you'll bear with me using that as an example.

The revenue for a retail book with a $40 price tag might be:

$12 sold into distribution
$20 sold into a wholesale/direct-to-retail channel
$28 to something like amazon
$40 from the maker's own store

Cost to produce could be nearly anything. Products that are going into distribution are usually managed to have a cost-to-produce that's rather lower than the cost to distribute. $10 would be the very most you want to see that costing; a good goal would be $4, and $8 might be typical.

So you'll profit $20 on every PDF sold through your own channel (and maybe $12-13 if you go through DriveThruRPG).

You do better with PDF than Print in this case on distribution sales ($12-20 vs a very icky $4).

Amazon and the maker's store always are better physically than in PDF-only. Wholesale to brick-and-mortar is "depends a bit."

Sorry for going into pedant mode on this. The assumption that PDF is 'just better' for profitability depends very much on the channel and marginal cost to print.

Note that the cost to DEVELOP the game is about the same (not entirely the same) in most cases (at least it is for me) with books and similar media because the end product of both print and PDF is a PDF file. One is high resolution and suitable to be ripped into a print file. The other is just emailed out.

SJG does a LOT of material goods stuff. Way more than me. Things like molds and tooling samples for models, miniatures, dice, and other goods can be VERY expensive. Plastic molds, for example, are notoriously finicky and expensive to get right, so that's added cost that a "digital only" development path would not see.

Anyway, it's complicated. :-)
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 01:46 AM   #43
Steve Plambeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Sorry for going into pedant mode on this. The assumption that PDF is 'just better' for profitability depends very much on the channel and marginal cost to print.
No apology required, that was all fascinating. I suspected I was over-simplifying things, but I had no idea by how much! :)

Tags
cards, counters, dice, game aids