Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-09-2014, 06:02 AM   #21
Dwarf99

Default Re: DJ's Gaming Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhnamDJ View Post
I know I might dread asking this, but would you consider an amped up Michael Bay-esque version with sufficient DR and Strength to have accomplished some of the tasks in the most recent movie?
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:01 AM   #22
ErhnamDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarf99 View Post
I know I might dread asking this, but would you consider an amped up Michael Bay-esque version with sufficient DR and Strength to have accomplished some of the tasks in the most recent movie?
I haven't seen the new film. Is it any good?

My blog.
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:48 AM   #23
nerdvana

Quote:
GURPS House Rules: Skill List

My shortened skill list house rules with a brief explanation.
I don't see any mention of First Aid. Where does that fall into the picture in your house rules?
nerdvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 12:32 PM   #24
ErhnamDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdvana View Post
I don't see any mention of First Aid. Where does that fall into the picture in your house rules?
That would be a low level of Diagnosis and Physician. You can use those for tasks with a bonus for being easy. In addition, you might have a technique for the sorts of tasks EMTs perform.

The way I imagine this working is that an EMT has a low level of Physician, and gets an unfamiliarity penalty for most of the things a doctor would use that skill to do, but not first-aid skills, and he's also doing things that get a large bonus for being easy, and also a small equipment bonus as well.

I've been working on those familiarity rules that are supposed to go with these rules to add variability, but I've been working on those for at least a year. Part of my goal with reducing the number of skills was to cut down on bookkeeping. It's difficult to come up with familiarity rules that don't add that back in. Perhaps it would be best to have the GM use his own judgment when assessing those penalties. I do think familiarity should apply to tasks, not just equipment as per the RAW.

My blog.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:09 PM   #25
Dwarf99

Quote:
I haven't seen the new film. Is it any good?
I loved it. A lot of people thought he was cashing in on his Transformer Cash Cow with Shredder looking so much the part. It was kind of just... armor. Also Megan Fox. Emma Stone would have been amazing as April. Fox wasn't intolerable though, and you can't go wrong with the subtle humor of Wil Arnette. Both speech, and how he physically interacts with other cast members in whatever he's in. I'm not saying it's laugh a minute either, but it's kind of a nice afterthought.

The main thing that bothered me was what I call the "Transformer Warble" which is what I call that stupid sound he does when large metal objects pass by organic beings. They only said Cowabunga once, but that was tolerable. Popular culture references weren't flooded, but they were prevalent and more or less appropriate. They took some liberties with their origin story that I thought were acceptable, but left key parts intact.

Oh and the doublespeak was better.

Last edited by Dwarf99; 11-10-2014 at 02:12 PM.
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:51 PM   #26
ErhnamDJ

Gauging Interest: D&D Magic in GURPS

I would like some feedback on this one. I don't know if this project is worth continuing. The Affliction pricing is quite bad for buff spells. I feel like it's one of the worst parts of the powers system in terms of game balance, and a large portion of the spells use it when built as powers.

My blog.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:16 PM   #27
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Critical Hit Effects in GURPS

What is the reasoning behind the asymmetrical effects on the critical hits table? What might be a better effect than maximum damage, since that doesn't jive well with armor as dice or other methods of reining in the extreme variability of the dice?
I don't like the no defence rule from crits. It's good to see that replaced with something else, such as harder-to-defend-against.

But I agree with the blog commenter (Peter Dell'Orto) that it's bad that you have no crit effect happen on 9-11 on 3d6. That range of results is very common, and it'll be annoying as a player to make a crit table roll only to get told "no special effect" so often. You should at least put in some minor benefit for the crit roller.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:26 PM   #28
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
it'll be annoying as a player to make a crit table roll only to get told "no special effect" so often.
It's like a roll to confirm, without needing a separate roll; mathematically, a way to reduce the crit frequency. If you like, don't think of the first roll as "guaranteed crit", but rather "opportunity".
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:19 PM   #29
ErhnamDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
But I agree with the blog commenter (Peter Dell'Orto) that it's bad that you have no crit effect happen on 9-11 on 3d6.
I was keeping that from the table in Characters.

It's extremely difficult to come up with critical hit effects that can apply to bites from a squirrel, punches from a man, bullets from a gun, and eye-lasers from a superhero.

If I wanted a specialized table for each different type of attack, it would be easier. What do you suggest we do here?

My blog.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:31 AM   #30
ErhnamDJ

I wrote a post on my learning house rules back in January, but never got around to actually making the post (perhaps I am not altogether happy with them). The new book has reminded me of them. Here is the post.

My blog.

Tags
blog, blogs