Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 09-14-2018, 06:22 PM   #61
JohnPaulB

Default Re: TFT Map Maker satellite image?

Shadekeep, I don't know if this has been asked, but is it possible to import a satellite image of, say, a small island and put it as the background image?

That way, we could hex the image and have instant maps to do our Shadekeep Mapping Tools on. Great Outdoor Travel map concept.

Of course, the problem with having a satellite background is that you need to put the right Hex Scale to the image. So 1) you need to know the scale of the image, 2) you need to be able to zoom either the image closer or farther or you need to be able to zoom the hexes bigger or smaller.

That scaling would probably need to be done before any overlay

I don't think anyone has a need for this now, but way later I would be interested in that capability.

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 06:32 PM   #62
JohnPaulB

Default Re: TFT Map Maker

Shadekeep, another feature that might be useful when making dungeon maps is to have ragged edges capability. So when your walking down the dungeon rough rock corridor and you come to an area that is a brick lined corridor, it shows up differently.

Though this can be accomplished by using stone color and brick color as appropriate.

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:02 PM   #63
Shadekeep

Default Re: TFT Map Maker satellite image?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaulB View Post
Shadekeep, I don't know if this has been asked, but is it possible to import a satellite image of, say, a small island and put it as the background image?
That should be possible with some work. Either you would have to scale the image yourself before hand, or I could make the image not scale with the map and you could use the zoom level to get a fit. Probably I could also add the ability to resize the image on the fly, since it's just another kind of draw operation. The tricky part there would be making the user interface intuitive enough that it's simple to tweak the image from within the editor.

I'll put it on the list for features to check the feasibility of, at the very least.
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:21 AM   #64
ParadoxGames

I just messed around with this for the first time. It's a beautiful program. I'd love for there to be an off-line Javascript version some day.
ParadoxGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:22 AM   #65
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadoxGames View Post
I just messed around with this for the first time. It's a beautiful program. I'd love for there to be an off-line Javascript version some day.
Working on that as well. It'll be easy to do, I just have to write a packaging script to automate it. I just haven't done it yet because I want to get it feature-stable first. The official 1.0 release should include the download option, and ideally I'd like the offline version to include a button that lets you easily check for a new version.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:28 AM   #66
ParadoxGames

Thanks! Please keep us posted here for updates.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:24 AM   #67
larsdangly

One question about the designer's intent re. the partial hex symbols and MH overlay. A partial hex symbol is used in mapping at a scale where 1H on the map = 1 MH on a combat space, but doesn't make sense at the smaller scale of combat map. Also, while one could define a MH at the coarser dungeon mapping scale, in practice it isn't done and has no defined effect on play. Is the intent that you only use those symbols when the MH overlay is turned off, and you only use the MH overlay for maps that do not include those small features?
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 01:21 PM   #68
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
One question about the designer's intent re. the partial hex symbols and MH overlay. A partial hex symbol is used in mapping at a scale where 1H on the map = 1 MH on a combat space, but doesn't make sense at the smaller scale of combat map. Also, while one could define a MH at the coarser dungeon mapping scale, in practice it isn't done and has no defined effect on play. Is the intent that you only use those symbols when the MH overlay is turned off, and you only use the MH overlay for maps that do not include those small features?
Personally I think it can go whatever way the user desires, but I realise I'm not following orthodoxy there. I think that a single hex could have a straight wall running through it that doesn't occupy the whole hex, but which still acts as a "filled" hex for movement purposes. The idea is to overlay the aesthetic design of more traditional linear forms with the hex map. So a room would look square, say, at the single-hex level, but in practice it would function identically to a roughly square shape drawn with full hexes.

If you are doing Tollenkar-style megahex maps then there probably is no reason to use anything other than full hexes, half hexes (to indicate slopes), and channel/junction pieces. But for single hex maps I use all the components, even though it's not typical practice. I like how the resulting map can look like a more conventional floorplan, but still use the hexes for movement.

Last edited by Shadekeep; 09-15-2018 at 01:22 PM. Reason: typos, as always
Old 09-15-2018, 04:52 PM   #69
larsdangly

Ah, I see. It is good I asked, because my interpretation was that you intended those partial fillings to indicate sub-hex volumes that a figure could move through, just as the marked hexes are spaces a figure could move through, whereas you are suggesting they could also be spaces a figure specifically cannot move through - i.e., they could be walls. One possible issue is that as far as I can see they are only able to go through the centers of hexes and thus you would have trouble making a continuous wall of them because you can't make them carry through along edges of adjacent hexes. Or can you? Maybe I haven't explored enough how they work.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 04:28 AM   #70
RobW

minor bug: In Overlay mode, the "Stone" material makes solid black hexes instead of gray (black is shown in the preview as well).

Liking this!
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote