Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-23-2010, 02:57 PM   #21
Mailanka

Default Re: Pole Dancing?

This is how I see it: Some skills are highly specific and cover exact movements or concepts, and to do multiple things, you need multiple skills. A classic example of this is Two-Handed Sword vs Broadsword, or Spear vs Staff. "Spear" is not enough to use a spear as a staff, you also need "Staff."

I think those that are arguing that Pole Dancing must use Acrobatics believe dancing works like this. "Dance" involves rhythmic movements, and "Acrobatics" involves the sort of contortions and balance necessary to swing on the pole, and thus you need both to make it work.

However, not all GURPS skills work so precisely. Some are very broad and general, like Soldier and the Crewman skills. They more-or-less cover lots of things, but in a very limited way. You can use Soldier to fix a gun, but it's not as good as Armory. You can use Soldier to operate your radio, but it's not as good as Electronic Ops (Comms). For example, Soldier probably wouldn't let you try to defeat someone's jamming signal, but Electronic Ops (Comms) would let you give it a shot.

I think Dance works more like this. A stripper can swing on a pole, but she cannot vault or do handsprings or somersaults. Her skill gives her breadth, but no depth beyond what you'd expect someone who studies Pole Dancing to know. This resembles a Soldier's skill breadth more than it resembles the Spear/Staff divide: someone who knows both Staff and Spear, in addition to using a spear like a staff, can also make full use of a staff, whereas a stripper cannot make full use of Acrobatics anymore than Soldier can make full use of his radio.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:05 PM   #22
davidtmoore

If you really want it to go into detail, treat it as a style, like martial arts and magical styles.

Primary Skills: Dancing; Sex Appeal.
Techniques: Pole-Dancing.
Optional Skills: Acrobatics.

Where Pole-Dancing (Dancing -2) (A) is the utterly arbitrarily-defined technique of dancing halfway up a pole.
davidtmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:10 PM   #23
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtmoore View Post
If you really want it to go into detail, treat it as a style, like martial arts and magical styles.

Where Pole-Dancing (Dancing -2) (A) is the utterly arbitrarily-defined technique of dancing halfway up a pole.
Yup. I was actually pondering this earlier, and you could argue that Ballet has Jumping as a Primary skill and so on. You could probably make quite a few dancing "martial arts." Not sure how much demand it would have, but it might be fun.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:16 PM   #24
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
Yup. I was actually pondering this earlier, and you could argue that Ballet has Jumping as a Primary skill and so on. You could probably make quite a few dancing "martial arts." Not sure how much demand it would have, but it might be fun.
Here's one I made a couple of years ago.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:09 PM   #25
tjmiller07

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtmoore View Post

Yea, I agree with davidtmoore, make it a style, or just plain out use a technique roll, depending on the 'situation'

-Josep Brewer

......(\_/)
......( '_')
..../""""""""""""\====░ ▒▓▓█D
/"""""""""""""""""""\
\_@_@_@_@_@_/
tjmiller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:02 AM   #26
blacksmith

Quote:
This is how I see it: Some skills are highly specific and cover exact movements or concepts, and to do multiple things, you need multiple skills. A classic example of this is Two-Handed Sword vs Broadsword, or Spear vs Staff. "Spear" is not enough to use a spear as a staff, you also need "Staff."

I think those that are arguing that Pole Dancing must use Acrobatics believe dancing works like this. "Dance" involves rhythmic movements, and "Acrobatics" involves the sort of contortions and balance necessary to swing on the pole, and thus you need both to make it work.
Note that I originally said acrobatics art, and suggested specializing it for most pole dancers.
blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:24 AM   #27
Captain-Captain

I would allow a pole dancer under certain conditions, properly underdressed in a setting where the patrons have lots of alcohol at hand etc. To use the Dancing skill in place of the governing Attribute for EA or Sex Appeal rolls. This gives a character with a good investment in the Dance skill a general boost over DX based Erotic Arts, and likely a big boost over HT based Sex Appeal.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:58 AM   #28
aesir23

Pole Dancing (H)
Defaults to Acrobatics -4, Climbing -4, Dancing (Erotic) -2, or Sex Appeal -2
Cannot Exceed Prerequisite Skill +4

This is the skill of dancing erotically using a pole in the middle of the stage as a prop. What this looks like depends on which skill you're defaulting on (those using Acrobatics or Climbing hang and spin precariously from high on the pole, those using Sex Appeal may simple hold on to it while moving sensuously.)

A successful use of this skill counts as an influence role against all observers. Any bonus and penalty that would apply to Sex Appeal apply to Pole Dancing, but only for targets who are attracted to the dancer's gender.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:50 PM   #29
jacobmuller

Doesn't have to be erotic, can just be awesome dancing

The erotic part would be adding a Sex Appeal roll, although it wouldn't take much:)
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:05 PM   #30
arnej

Quote:
Reminds me of my IOU character's elective PE class, "Combat Polka."

arnej
arnej is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kromm explanation, skills