Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-21-2010, 09:08 AM   #21
Daigoro

Default Re: [Martial Arts] Are mollusks susceptible to Arm Lock and Leg Lock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
The point value of Legless is -30; I seem to recall from Transhuman Space: Changing Times that No Legs (Portable), which gives you no means of moving yourself around but lets someone else carry you, is about the same. That suggests that the point cost of the first two legs is 30. A 50% enhancement would cost 15 added points. So going from human normal to having two tentacular legs would be 15 points.

Bill Stoddard
I think that might be a bit of a red herring. The -30pts is for loss of movement, and you don't get any extra move by having 4 legs instead of 2 (unless you buy Basic Speed/Enhanced Move, of course).

The advantages of extra legs is extra kicking ability and redundancy against crippling injuries, so it might be better to compare costs with Injury Tolerance: Unbreakable Bones.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:42 AM   #22
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
You could just apply the same +50% Extra Flexible enhancement to the legs. Not strictly RAW, but seems consistent with it. It may actually be worth less than +50% if there is less utility to flexible legs than arms.
Yeah. Leg Lock is both harder to initiate and harder to inflict damage with, and a lot of the functionality imparted by that enhancement to arms is missing with legs. Given those drawbacks, Extra-Flexible probably should be discounted if you port it to legs.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:07 AM   #23
Humabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurps Fan View Post
I think I see your point. However, after a close examination of p. B55, I found an interesting sentence: "You can apply the following modifiers to all your legs", just above the Special Enhancements section. It suggests that enhancements on Extra Legs work on an all-or-nothing basis, not a per-leg basis. Therefore,
  • Two-legged creature whose two legs are flexible: 5 points (= 1/10 of the percentile value of Extra-Flexible).
  • Three- or four-legged creature whose three or four legs are flexible: 8 points (= Extra Legs [5] plus +50%, rounds up).
  • Five- or six-legged creature whose five or six legs are flexible: 15 points (= Extra Legs [10] plus +50%).
  • Seven- or more-legged creature whose all legs are flexible: 23 points (= Extra Legs [15] plus +50%, rounds up).
Got me on that one.

My application may have been off, but I don't see where footicles that let you move on your own at full base move and only offer the benefit of avoiding one particular technique would cost as much as Combat Reflexes or Very Fit.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:35 AM   #24
Gurps Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
My application may have been off, but I don't see where footicles that let you move on your own at full base move and only offer the benefit of avoiding one particular technique would cost as much as Combat Reflexes or Very Fit.
Extra-Flexible legs not only are immune to Leg Lock but also enjoy all the benefits that Extra-Flexible enhancement provides: specifically, they "can always reach and work with other limbs, regardless of body positioning, general layout, or 'right' and 'left.'" (p. B53)
Gurps Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:24 AM   #25
Humabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurps Fan View Post
Extra-Flexible legs not only are immune to Leg Lock but also enjoy all the benefits that Extra-Flexible enhancement provides: specifically, they "can always reach and work with other limbs, regardless of body positioning, general layout, or 'right' and 'left.'" (p. B53)
I guess that's useful if you aren't standing on them and they're prehensile. Not sure how my feet would aid me in anything I'm doing with my hands, though. Do you have somethign particular in mind?

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

Old 06-23-2010, 10:25 AM   #26
Refplace

Quote:
I guess that's useful if you aren't standing on them and they're prehensile. Not sure how my feet would aid me in anything I'm doing with my hands, though. Do you have somethign particular in mind?
Climbing and navigating rough or tricky surfaces.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:37 AM   #27
Humabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Climbing and navigating rough or tricky surfaces.
Fair enough. I suppose the next question is whether that's part of the OP's intent for the legs or if (s)he really just wants non-lock-able legs.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

Old 06-24-2010, 07:27 PM   #28
Gurps Fan

Quote:
Fair enough. I suppose the next question is whether that's part of the OP's intent for the legs or if (s)he really just wants non-lock-able legs.
My intention is to build a (largely) humanoid character with some octopus-like properties. I suppose that his racial template should include legs that are immune to Leg Lock, but I couldn't find in the RAW how to design such a trait.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:22 AM   #29
aesir23

If the only game-mechanical difference between these tentacle legs and regular human legs is that you can't use 1 unarmed martial arts technique, I'd call it a perk.

It's really of very limited utility, resulting in some frustrated BJJ practitioners, perhaps, but certainly not constituting any significant advantage over the course of an adventure.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:29 AM   #30
Gurps Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
If the only game-mechanical difference between these tentacle legs and regular human legs is that you can't use 1 unarmed martial arts technique, I'd call it a perk.

It's really of very limited utility, resulting in some frustrated BJJ practitioners, perhaps, but certainly not constituting any significant advantage over the course of an adventure.
I didn't say otherwise. I don't think immunity to locks is the only game effect of having flexible limbs.

Tags
flexibility, kicking, kromm explanation