Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-16-2015, 02:53 PM   #1
philosophyguy

Default Magic as [Powers]

I'm exploring options for magic systems in a new campaign, and one idea that I've seen other GURPS players suggest is a powers-based magic system. I'm interested in any advice for how to set up and run such a system, as well as big picture thoughts on pluses or minuses to that method versus GURPS Magic or ritual path magic.
philosophyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 03:06 PM   #2
lvalero

Default Re: Magic as [Powers]

You may find useful this link

http://islandsofwar.simulatoralive.n.../colleges.html

If you want also to see an alternative "Magic as skills" system you can see:

http://wolf-were.dreamwidth.org/1755.html

This last one is the one I am using now for my hybrid Gurps/D20 campaign.
Old 06-16-2015, 03:12 PM   #3
weby

Magic as powers comes in many varieties.

Some examples:
-Straight abilities
-Alternate abilities
-Modular slots

General differences about them compared to gurps magic is:
-The magic will have a fairly different feel.
-Some effects that are easy in magic re difficult in powers and the opposite so the power is different.
-Powers does not have any "absolute" spells like the force dome in magic that stops anything.

Good sides about powers instead of magic:
-In general I find powers better at mapping high power=high cost
-It allows for easier building of many different magic systems for different casters while keeping them more balanced than using totally different methods. (Example: some casters could buy modular abilities to hold spells and others would have alternate abilities)
-At higher total point levels powers based things are easier to balance than magic

Bad sides:
-You will have to build the spells. Magic has them ready made. (though things like http://islandsofwar.simulatoralive.net/ will help you get started)
-Powers based magic tends to cost more points than magic based.
weby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 03:32 PM   #4
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
-You will have to build the spells. Magic has them ready made. (though things like http://islandsofwar.simulatoralive.net/ will help you get started)
Note also that a set of examples can be found in GURPS Thaumatology: Chinese Elemental Powers.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 03:51 PM   #5
weby

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Note also that a set of examples can be found in GURPS Thaumatology: Chinese Elemental Powers.
Yes and for priests: powers divine favor.
weby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:10 PM   #6
Infornific

Pyramid 3/63 has what you might find a useful framework ("The Power of Sorcery") for powers as magic. It uses modular abilities plus alternative abilities which allows for magic users who combine a few go-to spells with a little improvisational ability.

You might also consider using the multiplicative modifiers option. In game terms, an affliction that grants an Advantage and possibly has the Malediction enhancement will feel more like a magic spell than simply putting the magic limitation on an Advantage. However, that's a lot of levels of enhancement.

E.g:

Shield Spell:

This grants 2 points of Damage Resistance for every point of Fatigue spent, up to DR 6. Requires an IQ roll to cast and can be used on others.

Affliction, grants up 6 DR with forcefield enhancement (+360%), Malediction (+100%),Extended Duration x10 (+40%), Costs Fatigue 1-3 (-10%), Magic (-10%), Incantation (-5%), Gesture (-5%)

Total Enhancements: +500%
Total Limitations: -30%

I thought about adding No Range but I'm not quite sure how that works with Malediction.

With normal rules, cost is 57 points. With multiplicative modifiers, the cost is 42 points and the gap grows as Limitations increase.

On the whole, point and shoot stuff is likely to be cheaper with Powers while the trickier stuff will cost more. One advantage from the GM's point of view is that it's easier to track of what mages can do. More blaster, less swiss knife.
Infornific is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:37 AM   #7
A Ladder

Magic as Powers is the only thing I run in my games. I noticed that my players, who are pretty casual gamers, only want to do a few basic things (like fly, give armor to their friends, and toss a fireball around). With Powers you can build that really quickly/easily.

Sorecery, from Pyramid 3/63, happens to be the base for my favorite magic system ever. Not only can you make any spell you could ever think up, you know it's balanced points wise with the rest of the game due to Gurps' way of building abilities with advantages.

Check out this thread for some pre-built spells to get you started: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=127620
A Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic, magic as powers, powers